18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Smith and Wesson Performance Center 929 was discontinued. How many here have one?

Messages
288
Classified ads
3
I have one. I think it’s a great revolver chambered in 9. However, I’ve been considering selling it. I haven’t shot it much. I got my eye on a 627 Performance Center. TK Customs can have the cylinder cut for 9 mm so you can shoot 38 special, 357 and 9 mm. Revolver shooters, what’s your opinion? Keep the 929 and just buy a 627 for 357/38 plinking?
 
I have one. I think it’s a great revolver chambered in 9. However, I’ve been considering selling it. I haven’t shot it much. I got my eye on a 627 Performance Center. TK Customs can have the cylinder cut for 9 mm so you can shoot 38 special, 357 and 9 mm. Revolver shooters, what’s your opinion? Keep the 929 and just buy a 627 for 357/38 plinking?
Personally I have had bad luck shooting 9mm out of S&W 357 barrels. Something that plagued my very low serial number 929.
Basically unacceptable accuracy.

I had much better luck with the 327WR accuracy wise.
But then again the 327 WR is extremely prone to crimp jump.

Not sure if you need 8 but take a look at the Chiappa Charging Rhino Gen2 9mm. Very nice shooting revolver.
 
Oh… man. You have the 327 WR?! Stuff dreams are made of. Someday.

Don’t “need” 8, sure is nice though. Plus, I have a pile of moon clips for my 929. As far as accuracy goes, mine’s been pretty spot on so far. I picked it up from TK customs. I had him do a full trigger job, chamfer and hone. Smooth as butter. But, I’m craving a 627 right now I’m debating letting my 929 go, so I can pick up a PC 627. But because of the 929 being discontinued, I’ll probably regret that decision.
 
No 929 but my revolvers are 9mm s&w(s). They don’t require moon clips- 547

I don’t know why s&w doesn’t make modern 9mms without needing moon clips. Charter arms makes a version that also doesn’t use moon clips called the pitbull.

Personally don’t want to fumble around with moon clips. You can sse revolvers that are off roster but there are specific criteria’s like barrel length minimums and overall length minimums
 
Mine is a tack driver. Don't sell. Only thing I dislike is loading and unloading moon clips. I never do that at the range, I prep a mountain of them while watching TV.
 
No 929 but my revolvers are 9mm s&w(s). They don’t require moon clips- 547

I don’t know why s&w doesn’t make modern 9mms without needing moon clips. Charter arms makes a version that also doesn’t use moon clips called the pitbull.

Personally don’t want to fumble around with moon clips. You can sse revolvers that are off roster but there are specific criteria’s like barrel length minimums and overall length minimums
SAO
 
No 929 but my revolvers are 9mm s&w(s). They don’t require moon clips- 547

I don’t know why s&w doesn’t make modern 9mms without needing moon clips. Charter arms makes a version that also doesn’t use moon clips called the pitbull.

Personally don’t want to fumble around with moon clips. You can sse revolvers that are off roster but there are specific criteria’s like barrel length minimums and overall length minimums
Generally speaking aside from specific competition criteria when people go down to lower capacity or slower loading method they generally want to increase power. Outside of you, me and 3 or 4 other guys on here, a 9mm revolver is not a big seller.
Even more so for a non moon clip revolver in 9mm. Aside from maybe some weird legal workaround, there really is no reason for a revolver to be not moonclip capable and in 9mm.
 
I purchased a SW 929 last year when Buds had them on sale for about $900. The one I got had a barrel to cylinder gap of 0.15 I contacted S&W and they called in and put a new barrel on it. It now has a .06 gap and shoots well. I got the TK custom tools for loading and unloading the moon clips which is a breeze. I just purchased a mount that replaces the rear site so I can put a red dot on it.
 
No 929 but my revolvers are 9mm s&w(s). They don’t require moon clips- 547

I don’t know why s&w doesn’t make modern 9mms without needing moon clips. Charter arms makes a version that also doesn’t use moon clips called the pitbull.

Personally don’t want to fumble around with moon clips. You can sse revolvers that are off roster but there are specific criteria’s like barrel length minimums and overall length minimums
Moon Clips are difficult at best. I find I can reload far faster with just using my 7 shot quick release type, as for whatever reason, the often minor edges where the bullet meets the brass, hang up the reloaded moon clips a lot. I have 2 seven shot 686 + (one the performance center one with the quick cylinder release lever) and it's the same with both.
 
I have one. I think it’s a great revolver chambered in 9. However, I’ve been considering selling it. I haven’t shot it much. I got my eye on a 627 Performance Center. TK Customs can have the cylinder cut for 9 mm so you can shoot 38 special, 357 and 9 mm. Revolver shooters, what’s your opinion? Keep the 929 and just buy a 627 for 357/38 plinking?
If you ever commit to selling it for a 627 I am interested in buying
 
How are you going to make a moon clip work on a Blackhawk?
A sao revolver, pointless gun in 9mm even more so than a DA non moon clipped 9mm. My point exactly.

I know a guy with a 9mm tc73 and thats the only reason he also runs a SA 9mm revolver. Outside of the 1% cowboy action shooters it's a pointless gun.

Outside of competition...In a revolver most want more power or more economy.

22LR for the latter

357 and up for the former

Im not a 9mm revolver hater. Ive had the 929, 327wr. Currently run a Ruger Super GP100 in 9mm. But there is very little market or practical use for a revolver in 9mm that is not at least 8 shot moonclipped.
 
Any insight into how he likes the TC73? Not a ton of info about them out there.
His runs good BUT gotta wear a brimmed hat. Cases eject up and over on to head more than most people will enjoy.

Fit and finish are very good but the price point is also absurd for what it is. I feel like they could have done an all black polymer amd nitride version for much less to maximize adoption rate.

I do appreciate that it is 100% american made. Im waiting for a red dot mount version that is supposedly in the works. Would.have been so easy for them to just add some Lyman pattern screw holes.

Lastly at the price point I would have preferred a gold bead front sight as compared to the white plastic bead provided.
 
After a few years of hunting for a prelock 9mm smith revolver I gave up and had tk machine an extra cylinder to fit my 640pro. Works great but I only use it for practice. 9mm out of a J frame feels similar to 38+p/ 357 but at a fraction of the cost. Between that and the airlite 22 I can spend a few hours at the range and not break the bank.
 
having a 929 and 627vcomp. i wouldn't sell either. but than again i love revolvers and i wouldn't sell any of them. The 929 for target comp shooting and 627 is more magnum blasting so i enjoy them for entirely different reasons. My rule is never sell unless I'm desperate for funds. I'd buy the 627 first before i sell the 929 and get sellers remorse.
 
Back
Top Bottom