18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Squid round in my m629?

44smit

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
22
I just was at the shooting range and had a squid round in my smith and Wesson m629. Got the bullet out of the barrel. Cleaned it real good, however someone told me that it could have been a barrel deformation and that if you shoot it again, the gun may explode but I don’t see any deformation in or out of the barrel. Now I’m afraid to shoot the damn thing…what should I do??
 
If you had a single squib and didn't stack multiple bullets in the barrel, you are GTG.

The problem happens when you have one get stuck due to a lack of powder( the squib ) and that bullet creates an obstruction. Firing a full power round into the obstruction causes the barrel to deform or bulge.
 
Were you shooting reloads?
Ammo you purchased at the range that may have been reloaded?
Odd to have a factory loaded round under charged, but I guess it could happen.
Is this a newer 629?
I’ve had squibs and once cleared, go to go…. Now if you shoot with a squib in the barrel, you may bulge the barrel or worse.
 
Were you shooting reloads?
Ammo you purchased at the range that may have been reloaded?
Odd to have a factory loaded round under charged, but I guess it could happen.
Is this a newer 629?
I’ve had squibs and once cleared, go to go…. Now if you shoot with a squib in the barrel, you may bulge the barrel or worse.
Factory loads (critical defense rounds)and the revolver is fairly new.
 
If you had a single squib and didn't stack multiple bullets in the barrel, you are GTG.

The problem happens when you have one get stuck due to a lack of powder( the squib ) and that bullet creates an obstruction. Firing a full power round into the obstruction causes the barrel to deform or bulge.
Thanks for the feedback
 
You can see the barrel bulge as more bullets are stacked.
Found this picture.

w=720,h=360


I caught a squib before loading it, one missing primer and damaged primer.
Factory ammunition is not always 100%

5lbr4aBm.jpg
Jjb73e4m.jpg
QunrG43m.jpg


MmgyaJ6m.jpg
 
I just was at the shooting range and had a squid round in my smith and Wesson m629. Got the bullet out of the barrel. Cleaned it real good, however someone told me that it could have been a barrel deformation and that if you shoot it again, the gun may explode but I don’t see any deformation in or out of the barrel. Now I’m afraid to shoot the damn thing…what should I do??
Squib, not squid. I wouldn’t think twice about taking it back out and shooting it again after the stuck round was removed. But if you have any qualms about it, why not take it to a gunsmith and let him or her check it out?
 
Back
Top Bottom