18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Staccato HD C4X CA vs non-CA

Birchwood casey is the cheapest and easiest DIY option. Maybe not the most durable, but easy to reapply. You could probably get it coated, but DLC might not work as it's so thin anything shows up under it - even slight imperfections. I doubt laser engraved white lettering would be hidden TBH.
 
LCI's and MD's are requirement for sale only from what I understand. There's nothing that says you can't remove either from what I've seen. So if you take it off, it will just be like any other gun out there that came before these stupid requirements. Safety always comes down to the user and the steps you/they take to prevent accidents from happening.
 
LCI's and MD's are requirement for sale only from what I understand. There's nothing that says you can't remove either from what I've seen. So if you take it off, it will just be like any other gun out there that came before these stupid requirements. Safety always comes down to the user and the steps you/they take to prevent accidents from happening.

Some CCW issuing agencies limit your choices to on roster firearms and some don't allow modifications.

Otherwise I don't believe there are laws preventing you from modifying them.
 
Just to add warranty claim may be denied if issue caused by modification

Yes, that.

Which reminds me I wish Staccato would add trigger replacement to their services so people can send their guns in to have a shorter trigger installed if they want to keep that aspect of the warranty. Their factory triggers are just too long for me. Red Dirt's F2 options are perfect.
 
LCI's and MD's are requirement for sale only from what I understand. There's nothing that says you can't remove either from what I've seen. So if you take it off, it will just be like any other gun out there that came before these stupid requirements. Safety always comes down to the user and the steps you/they take to prevent accidents from happening.
Correct, no legal requirement and has no bearing in a criminal trial either. Anyone telling you that is a FUD that has no idea what they're talking about
 
Yes, that.

Which reminds me I wish Staccato would add trigger replacement to their services so people can send their guns in to have a shorter trigger installed if they want to keep that aspect of the warranty. Their factory triggers are just too long for me. Red Dirt's F2 options are perfect.
Just get red dirt trigger, if ever meet staccato’s warranty put original back. 2011 not very difficult to work on. Engineer’s Armory on YouTube is a great resource, and he has p4.5 complete tear down video.
I stripped platypus for coating without any issues
 
There is no difference performance wise. Given how easy the MD is to do away with not sure why someone would opt for the non-roster one unless they're getting a deal or otherwise roster exempt.
Yeah, I can't understand how you would link trigger performance to mag disconnect....but hey I don't know the inner workings of the gun. I have an HD 3.6, great gun, but yeah, I can see difference from a legit series 70 trigger. I have a bunch of 1911s in 9mm and 45 ACP with series 70 triggers. There is a little difference with the HD triggers. I think when you are firing fast it won't matter. I don't mind the trigger on my HD 3.6, granted I have about 2K rounds through it...probably smoothed out a little.

If it weren't for the price, I'd try to have all of their models in the stable.
 
Yeah, I can't understand how you would link trigger performance to mag disconnect....but hey I don't know the inner workings of the gun. I have an HD 3.6, great gun, but yeah, I can see difference from a legit series 70 trigger. I have a bunch of 1911s in 9mm and 45 ACP with series 70 triggers. There is a little difference with the HD triggers. I think when you are firing fast it won't matter. I don't mind the trigger on my HD 3.6, granted I have about 2K rounds through it...probably smoothed out a little.

If it weren't for the price, I'd try to have all of their models in the stable.
Safety plunger spring that provides the drop safety mechanism increases the distance, pressure, and other aspects of the trigger pull and associated resistance that can contribute to the trigger feeling somewhat mushy, having more creep or pre-travel than ideal on an otherwise crisp trigger. It can be worked around, swapped out, or completely replaced via an ignition kit or something similar with adjustable pre and over travel.

It’s not really something I notice at speed after 16k rounds or so on the HD platform between several different HD series staccatos. I’m sure I could get my trigger to be pretty close to my stock Atlases or even my infinities with enough work, but they’re duty type guns and mostly carried or in a HD role, so I don’t bother messing with the internals more than necessary.

I may tune a P4X, P4.5X, or P5X eventually, but we’ll see.
 
Yeah, I can't understand how you would link trigger performance to mag disconnect....but hey I don't know the inner workings of the gun. I have an HD 3.6, great gun, but yeah, I can see difference from a legit series 70 trigger. I have a bunch of 1911s in 9mm and 45 ACP with series 70 triggers. There is a little difference with the HD triggers. I think when you are firing fast it won't matter. I don't mind the trigger on my HD 3.6, granted I have about 2K rounds through it...probably smoothed out a little.

If it weren't for the price, I'd try to have all of their models in the stable.
I believe the mag disconnect doesn't interfere with trigger performance (assuming a mag is inserted, obviously). The way I understand it is that the trigger is untouched until you pull it AND the mag is missing. Otherwise it's a normal trigger and the two parts never touch.
 
I believe the mag disconnect doesn't interfere with trigger performance (assuming a mag is inserted, obviously). The way I understand it is that the trigger is untouched until you pull it AND the mag is missing. Otherwise it's a normal trigger and the two parts never touch.
It doesn't, that commenter didn't really understand what they were responding to. The MD is just the interaction of the bow/tab on the OEM trigger shoe assembly. It interfaces with the mag catch and doesn't allow the trigger to actuate fully without the mag inserted, swapping the trigger shoe (red dirt, infinity, etc.), or filing off either the tab or the widening the cutout in the mag catch.

What I responded with is how the series 80 plunger safety spring interacts with the trigger pull weight, perceived take up, etc.
 
It doesn't, that commenter didn't really understand what they were responding to. The MD is just the interaction of the bow/tab on the OEM trigger shoe assembly. It interfaces with the mag catch and doesn't allow the trigger to actuate fully without the mag inserted, swapping the trigger shoe (red dirt, infinity, etc.), or filing off either the tab or the widening the cutout in the mag catch.

What I responded with is how the series 80 plunger safety spring interacts with the trigger pull weight, perceived take up, etc.
Why do people say a MD affects the trigger pull?
 
Why do people say a MD affects the trigger pull?
Not sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge unique to the HD series internals can explain exactly what they mean, but they may just be confusing the MD with the series 80 drop safety functionality.
 
Not sure. Maybe someone with more knowledge unique to the HD series internals can explain exactly what they mean, but they may just be confusing the MD with the series 80 drop safety functionality.

I’ve heard it used for a lot of guns, but I wasn’t sure if it’s just one of those forum rumors or something real
 
Why do people say a MD affects the trigger pull?
I initially was asking about the MD/trigger because I had falsely assumed it somehow had to interact with the trigger at all times after I didn't find anyone explaining it. I eventually found someone who explained the exact mechanism Staccato uses to achieve a CA-compliant MD and it turned out to not touch the trigger under normal circumstances.

I don't think anyone else was saying MD affects trigger pull?
 
I’ve heard it used for a lot of guns, but I wasn’t sure if it’s just one of those forum rumors or something real
It's going to depend on how the MD is designed and implemented on the specific gun or platform as well as how much the brand is really trying to "comply" with restrictive state compliance requirements. They're not all created equal.

At least on the Staccato HDs that's how the system works and how the MD does not interact with the trigger feel or pull.
 
It's going to depend on how the MD is designed and implemented on the specific gun or platform as well as how much the brand is really trying to "comply" with restrictive state compliance requirements. They're not all created equal.
I heard the Browning Hi Power has an intrusive MD, as in, it hurt trigger pull even with a mag inserted. True?
 
I initially was asking about the MD/trigger because I had falsely assumed it somehow had to interact with the trigger at all times after I didn't find anyone explaining it. I eventually found someone who explained the exact mechanism Staccato uses to achieve a CA-compliant MD and it turned out to not touch the trigger under normal circumstances.

I don't think anyone else was saying MD affects trigger pull?
I have seen multiple online people say it
 
Back
Top Bottom