18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Suggest removing unnecessary subforums

zhyla

Member
Messages
52
The calguns.net site suffers from a classic forum problem: the admin trying to write down all the possible subforums ahead of time. It leads to a fractured site where people don’t know where to post and makes it feel like there isn’t critical mass.

I would nuke the whole Interests section and add a general gun discussion subforum under Firearms. Also there’s no need to prefix anything with “California”.
 
The calguns.net site suffers from a classic forum problem: the admin trying to write down all the possible subforums ahead of time. It leads to a fractured site where people don’t know where to post and makes it feel like there isn’t critical mass.

I would nuke the whole Interests section and add a general gun discussion subforum under Firearms. Also there’s no need to prefix anything with “California”.
This is an interesting one. I have other people telling me to add more about California to designate it such.

I think these high level forums are ok for now, but I don't intend on adding subforums until things move a bit. I will delete a couple that aren't really related, but the others I'll keep for the time being. I don't like clutter either. I'd like to keep it clean and lean.
 
I agree the clutter. One suggestion is to keep all the links but have them minimized as the default setting. While navigating the menu such as Classifieds, there’s a lot of links to sift through. For example, what if the following 3 links: Latest Content, Your Content, and Watched had all their subforums minimized but easily expandable? This is on mobile too, I haven’t tried the website on desktop yet.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
I agree the clutter. One suggestion is to keep all the links but have them minimized as the default setting. While navigating the menu such as Classifieds, there’s a lot of links to sift through. What if the following 3 links: Latest Content, Your Content, and Watched had all their subforums minimized but easily expandable? This is on mobile too, I have tried the website on desktop yet.

Cheers


If you’re on mobile click the Categories button, it’ll filter the listing or you can click just below to go to tile view. Or filter view for whatever you want.

It’s different than what people are used to but the structure is pretty good and will be useful for when the site grows.

IMG_2262.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I agree the clutter. One suggestion is to keep all the links but have them minimized as the default setting. While navigating the menu such as Classifieds, there’s a lot of links to sift through. For example, what if the following 3 links: Latest Content, Your Content, and Watched had all their subforums minimized but easily expandable? This is on mobile too, I haven’t tried the website on desktop yet.

Cheers
One more thing. What you're asking for is on the main page under "Marketplace" for a textual view so you can parse titles. If you want filtering go to Classifieds for more details. Every listing has a thread in marketplace and links to the Classified section. Classified section is there for people who want to browse and use filters and search to narrow things down. We'll lean heavily on search and filtering functions. I decided to move forward with it so that way people more accurately find what they're looking for faster.

All that said. there will be some other changes along the way. Things are very fluid right now. There's a lot to streamline.
 
One more thing. What you're asking for is on the main page under "Marketplace" for a textual view so you can parse titles. If you want filtering go to Classifieds for more details. Every listing has a thread in marketplace and links to the Classified section. Classified section is there for people who want to browse and use filters and search to narrow things down. We'll lean heavily on search and filtering functions. I decided to move forward with it so that way people more accurately find what they're looking for faster.

All that said. there will be some other changes along the way. Things are very fluid right now. There's a lot to streamline.
Thanks for the input! We’re all happy for what you guys are doing.
 
Is there a possibility to have the marketplace section locked behind an account log-in? Could possibly help limit the scammers and such as the community grows
 
Is there a possibility to have the marketplace section locked behind an account log-in? Could possibly help limit the scammers and such as the community grows
Most people view without being logged in. At our stage now, its better to bring people in. Most of the transactions will all be Face to Face at an FFL so I'm not so concerned.

For shipping items, that's more questionable but its good to ask for additional references like iTrader on CG, ebay, reddit, etc. somewhere to confirm on another account somewhere before proceeding for shipping. If it's locked down people can't browse. Especially since we're new.
 
Most people view without being logged in. At our stage now, its better to bring people in. Most of the transactions will all be Face to Face at an FFL so I'm not so concerned.

For shipping items, that's more questionable but it’s good to ask for additional references like iTrader on CG, ebay, reddit, etc. somewhere to confirm on another account somewhere before proceeding for shipping. If it's locked down people can't browse. Especially since we're new.
Makes sense and I agree about the bringing people in part, but my concern/suggestioon comes from the issues that calguns has been dealing with the last few years. Hopefully is won’t migrate onto here, but sure sucks to have made a “deal” and end up being stood up at the FFL… then proceed to blow money on an impulse lol
 
Makes sense and I agree about the bringing people in part, but my concern/suggestioon comes from the issues that calguns has been dealing with the last few years. Hopefully is won’t migrate onto here, but sure sucks to have made a “deal” and end up being stood up at the FFL… then proceed to blow money on an impulse lol
I get it. They will never fully go away. The best we can do is make it difficult with layers of protection. The feedback system here should be very good for that. As reputations build, there will be historical info. Even the big companies can't get away from it. It's important to do due diligence.
 
I get it. They will never fully go away. The best we can do is make it difficult with layers of protection. The feedback system here should be very good for that. As reputations build, there will be historical info. Even the big companies can't get away from it. It's important to do due diligence.
I completely agree, I guess the only thing we can do at the moment is keep going and letting the community grow
 
I completely agree, I guess the only thing we can do at the moment is keep going and letting the community grow
Yes. If you have a look at the Classifieds section. Theres plenty to do. I think i have the search thing just about right. I’m fine tuning it now. I redid every listing in a new format. Got rid of the on/off roster sub forums and added a roster filter that dynamically updates
 
Off-topic forums tend to be a cesspool on many other forums. Let's NOT have one. LOL
Then you need moderators to clear out the off-topic stuff from the on-topic threads.

That's a pain for the mods, and often generates ill-will from the edited members.

But I'm generally in favor - there are lots of other sites on the web where one might Discuss One's Favorite Non-Gun Topic.
 
Then you need moderators to clear out the off-topic stuff from the on-topic threads.

That's a pain for the mods, and often generates ill-will from the edited members.

But I'm generally in favor - there are lots of other sites on the web where one might Discuss One's Favorite Non-Gun Topic.

True, but they should have rules to prevent it being 4Chan like craphole and too politically biased in one way or another. Unless you have a very separate Political forum for everything not gun related.
 
True, but they should have rules to prevent it being 4Chan like craphole and too politically biased in one way or another. Unless you have a very separate Political forum for everything not gun related.
Don't worry about that. We'll have the community decide how things should go. I think we'll keep politics that don't pertain to 2A out of this forum. There's so many out there where people can discuss that. Here, I'd like us to have a shared interest with mutual respect. People will be given warnings. It's not a problem now, but I understand how things can get unruly. We don't want that and will do what we can to prevent that.

Politics outside 2A here has little value. Off topic is ok if its constructive and productive. I don't want folks to waste time or energy on circular debates. That said, this should be a place to find common ground, not what differentiates us.
 
Back
Top Bottom