18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question Taylor 1873 vs Ruger Blackhawk New Model in 45 Colt

guncurious

Active member
Messages
94
Classified ads
1
I have one of the 1873 variants in 45 colt and enjoy it a lot. The other day I saw a mid-80s manufactured Blackhawk New Model in 45 colt in what looks like great condition for about $425. It got me thinking - aside from the transfer bar so you could safely have 6 in the cylinder what are the advantages of the Blackhawk? I believe the sights are better / adjustable. Anything else? Are they safer for higher pressure loads? Do I need another single action 45 colt revolver?
 
What kind of 'conversation' did you have with the barrel? :ROFLMAO:
I suppose you mean conversion ... barrel or cylinder? :unsure:
Ugh, wow, yeah... apparently I started typing WAY too early this morning. Conversion cylinder. 🤯
 
First post on CAguns here. I know the Blackhawks as well as the Vaqueros can take proof loads that would possibly blow up an Italian copy. They'll last a lifetime and hold it's value. As far as if you should buy another .45 Colt revolver only you can answer that, but for $425.00 in great condition that would be an easy question to answer. I had a 357 Blackhawk many years ago and sold it. I now deeply regret doing that.
 
As far as if you should buy another .45 Colt revolver only you can answer that, but for $425.00 in great condition that would be an easy question to answer. I had a 357 Blackhawk many years ago and sold it. I now deeply regret doing that.

Oh, I bought it. It's ready to pick up I just have to get to the LGS to take it home!
 
100% the Ruger Blackhawk!
Years ago I bought one of the stainless models with the ivory grip - a convertible with the 2 cylinders (45LC/45ACP).
Love that revolver!
 
I should start looking for an acp cylinder for one of my 45 Colts. I've got a buuunncchh of 255g 45 acp loaded and rarely shoot it except out of an AR.
 
Back
Top Bottom