By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
you might make sure you brush up on the legal scenarios that may come out of using a baton:It seems that under Fouts v. Bonta extendable batons are legal ( at least for now ).
I would like to get one. Any place online what would sell and ship it to CA?
The whole point is that this is a less than lethal option to use. Any device you use should include training on what to do and what not to do to ensure that you achieve the maximum benefit. The other person is correct about using a baseball bat or crowbar.Hitting someone on the head, but the point of using a baton is not to strike someone.And kill them, but rather to disable them and stop the attack as quickly as possible.That is a shock of a ruling-- I had no idea about this, and I wonder why it wasn't in the news.
100% get training on a baton before carrying one-- especially with retention. Your average criminal isn't going to think twice before hitting you in the head with your own baton. I don't know if I even want to carry one for this reason, because any scenario where I would use a baton would justify going to the pistol, and I'd rather have the gun.
I don't know how I feel about this ruling. I don't think expandable batons are a defensive weapon, nor are they likely to actually be less lethal when used by an average civilian. This isn't the same argument as someone being able to take away your gun or knife and use it on you-- the difference is the gun or knife are always deadly force under the law, while with the "less lethal" baton it's still easy to accidentally kill someone. The baseball bat and crowbar are less dangerous because they're less concealable, and you also have a lot more warning if you see a guy carrying a bat down the street versus a concealed ASP baton.
Why is an expandable baton less than lethal and a crowbar as described lethal?This conversation is beginning to take the "stupid" route. You should use common sense and what you are comfortable with.. EOM