18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Tell me about the fun buying experience at Sportsman’s Warehouse

caduckgunner

Member
Messages
51
Classified ads
1
I have a CCW, will they be able to handle it? Or are they incompetent as Bass Pro Shop. Do I need to plan an hour or longer for it? This would be at the Corona store.
 
Last edited:
Dunno about CCW, but depending on the day and time you can wait for quite a while to get service. Speed is not their strong suit.
 
The female manager in the Brentwood store is on a mission to sell the least amount of guns & ammo as possible. She will walk right past you, look you in the eye & leave you standing there. I think it gives her a feeling of power.
 
I’ve bought a ton of stuff there and never had an issue. I was given some really bad advice by their employees twice but the crew they have now seem a lot more knowledgeable.
 
I have a CCW, will they be able to handle it? Or are they incompetent as Bass Pro Shop. Do I need to plan an hour or longer for it? This would be at the Corona store.
You can come to us instead, we will make it quick and easy!
 
I know the manager at my local SW.

Not sure what you mean by “I have a ccw, will they be able to handle it”?

Make an appointment after finding out when they are not busy.
 
I bought a 10/22 at SW in Santee and with my CCW it was quick and easy.
 
I've had mixed experiences with the Sac area stores. Mostly long waits on doing paperwork and pick up.
 
I would never start a DROS with any FFL that does not deliver on undetermined. I have had CCW holders go to undetermined. It is simply not worth the risk.

I mean my LGS lets me skip the 10 day wait too, so there is that. They also used to let me buy more than one gun at a time too, but now everyone does that.
 
I would only go to Sportsmans Warehouse if I already knew what I wanted and had an appointment.

I once bought a gun online from them, then showed up 10 minutes before opening without an appointment. I was there for 3.5 hours before I was served. They have a very inefficient DROS process lol.
 
See what he wants and how competitive you can be. I shop my local place first and foremost but on my last purchase Turners was $350 cheaper.
We almost ALWAYS price match, if you show us what you want we will do our best to meet or beat. Not ALWAYS possible, but usually we can make it worth your while!
 
I have heard some interesting stories about SW.
The SW don’t know how to proceed F1 visa, and don’t know how to proceed ammo purchase by using ffl03+coe. LoL.
 
Haven't had a problem using a CCW for the FSC exemption (and FFL03+COE for the old 1-in-30 exemption) at the Rohnert Park, Brentwood, and Stockton locations. It used to suck when they didn't take appointments because they go through the line so slow, but now that that you can make online appointments it's not bad (they're still slow but at least you're not waiting hours in line anymore)
 
And another funny gun store is aeon tac.
For Dros a 7.62x25 type54 C&R handgun, they ask the proof of manufacture year. It is on the ATF C&R list, why they need proof ?
And, after ppt C&R rifles, they don’t know ffl03+COE can jump the 10 days waiting period.
LoL
 
California uses the federal definition for C&R. To be a C&R it must be 50 years old or more, or be on the ATF C&R list.
The Sportsman's Warehouse near me is in Rancho Cordova. I am unlikely to go there because they are ignorant (they know so much that isn't so) and customer service is poor. I suspect there is high staff turnover and therefore staff are poorly trained and inexperienced. I bought a firearm on line at Sportsman's Warehouse and had it delivered to the Rancho Cordova store. I made an appointment for DROS and another for pick-up. After I was waited on DROS took an hour and pick-up took 45 minutes.
In contrast at Loyal Arms in Folsom when DROSing or picking up a firearm I am usualy out in 15-30 minutes, customer service is great, and what they know is actually so.
 
I would love to be wrong, but I thought it had to be C&R and 50 years old for handguns in California?
Type54 Chinese tokarev 7.62x25 is on the ATF C&R list. And they were stopped manufactured at 1967. Definitely over 50 years. It’s too joking for the such proof.
The only type 54 needs year proof is Norinco’s 9mm version, they changed the caliber to 9mm and export. But this version is rare.
 
Couple years ago at the Brentwood location, I tried using my COE to purchase ammo, the person was clueless and still charged me $1 for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom