18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

THE MOST God awful sight removal.

Messages
577
Classified ads
6
UPDATE. Sent it off to get Dougified over at ATEI. I think Ive dont like 30+ slides there over the last 2009.

Back Story. I AM NOT a gunsmith. I have however removed or installed over 100 sights. Front and Rear. HK, FN, S&W, SIG, 1911, 2011, GLOCK ETC.

Tools I have or have used: MGW Armory SIGHT PRO, brass, aluminum, steel punches etc

Enter: Rock Island Armory Match Pro Ultra FS. Cheap 1911 I purchased on a whim. Actually shoots quite nice. Changed the grips, safety and moved to GI guide rod and plug. Hate the factory rear with its rounded corners and catty wampus tilting rear blade. Ordered a Kensight LPA TRT rear to replace.

The factory rear must come off.

Soaked in reds for a day, used sight pusher. NO JOY.

Soaked in reds for a day again. Used and bent or broke about a dozen brass and aluminum punches. WTF.

Soaked in Reds half a day. Busted out the REAL STEEL punches and 3lb mini sledge. SHEARED THE ENTIRE TOP half of the sight clean off. DOVETAIL DOESNT BUDGE a 🌮 HAIR

Tried Heat, started left to right from rear. Tried right to left. Tried center to right center to left.

Spent the rest of the day attempting to get said dovetail off in various ways. Even cut right down the middle with a mini saw. nothing moves.

WTF do they put on these things????

Currently defeated. Assessing the Situation. I'm thinking only a mill can save me at this point or I just send her off for an optic cut, though it was never meant to be that.

Photo up for your viewing pleasure and amusement.

No Damage but lots of aluminum and brass transfer that I have not removed.
 

Attachments

  • 1000010440.webp
    1000010440.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Damn. I my RIA is just their tactical with a Kensight rear. That drifted out pretty easy. Did you remove the set screw first?
 
Odd. I’m was fairly certain there is a set screw hidden beneath the elevation assembly.

Are you saying you had 3 setscrews? My adjustable non kensight rear had a setscrew on the left and right. Nothing center. But either way theres no setscrew thay can survive what this thing has. They used some kind of bonding fluid. Definitely not red loctite maybe green.
 
Are you saying you had 3 setscrews? My adjustable non kensight rear had a setscrew on the left and right. Nothing center. But either way theres no setscrew thay can survive what this thing has. They used some kind of bonding fluid. Definitely not red loctite maybe green.
lol, if there was one you definitely killed it.
 
Literally every time my wife asks me to work on her BMW. The upside is that I am now the proud (if this thing has even left me any pride) owner of a bunch of tools I'll never use on any other vehicle.
Currently collecting SAAB tools.
 
Sucks big time, I thought this was going to be a WTF does SW do to the front sites thread. Time for a dot I guess.
 
Photo up for your viewing pleasure and amusement.

Holy smokes! That's mighty ugly. Can you use a saw to cut straight down through the middle of the sight, all the way but not hitting the slide? I'd think there would then be enough clearance for each half of the sight to move inward wiht enough clearance to come right out. Where you at?
 
Holy smokes! That's mighty ugly. Can you use a saw to cut straight down through the middle of the sight, all the way but not hitting the slide? I'd think there would then be enough clearance for each half of the sight to move inward wiht enough clearance to come right out. Where you at?
I already tried that got as close to the slide as I could without damaging anything the dovetails are glued into the angled cuts
With something that is not of this world.
 
Back
Top Bottom