18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

The One That Got Away…

Tons at this point, lol.

$89 SKS, $69 Mosins, anything and everything that was like this back then.

Sold a nickel Colt MKIV .380 for freakin $299.

Everything that has fallen off the roster, you name it!
 
The cheap Chinese SKSs and Mosin's didn't get away from me for a decade. As time rolled on, they became great trade fodder. I traded 2 ratty ATI stocked SKSs and 2 Big 5 $80 Mosins for an SVT40 that was listed for $1300, then during the Plague Panic I traded a Yugo 59/66, a commercial SKS, and a home-grown SKS Paratrooper for a Lux FN49 they were asking $2400 for. Recently an Albanian SKS was a push for a great Hakim. PAX
 
San Jose Gun Show, early 1980s...Not 1880s...Pristine 03s...$200 asking price...I thought those guys were trying to rip me off selling those obsolete Junkers.
 

Attachments

  • 50584a3c-cb9b-4a13-8268-76b678df5917.jpg
    50584a3c-cb9b-4a13-8268-76b678df5917.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 15
San Jose Gun Show, early 1980s...Not 1880s...Pristine 03s...$200 asking price...I thought those guys were trying to rip me off selling those obsolete Junkers.
I remember when CMP still had those in quantity and would ship straight to your front door, even in California.
 
Pristine Win model 94 carbine in 30-30 (pre 64) was made in 1952 I blew it had all the sears paperwork and that’s that!
 
I just had a recent one. Pawn shop near me had a Nemo Omen for a really good price but with the holiday expenses I couldn't swing it. Come NYD and my first holiday free paycheck I called in and they sold it the day before NYE.

SO... that hurt.
 
I had a really clean FR8 I sold many years ago to a calgunner. Regret to this day
 
M1903-A4 sniper that was a legit WWII rifle and probably had 🥨 blood on it. Guy wanted $3500 for it, and I was so close to pulling the trigger (pun intended) but by the time my indecisive butt had made a decision, it was already gone. Oh well.
 
When I wanted an ar in mid 90s a place had colt surplus parts on a century receiver 450 bucks I think. Didn’t buy it because lower didn’t say colt. Today those parts be worth a good amount. Other was at oc gun show guy had a Hungarian ak47 underfolder for 275 bucks. Didn’t buy cause I wanted an AR. 🙈
 
As issued SKS45 for $350 when the Chinese floor was $250. I went home, him-hawed around, went back that afternoon...gonners. I jumped in my rig, ran down to an LGS that had a SKS Paratrooper that'd been sittin for a few months at $425, went I got there they just marked it down to $300 OTD. Put it my cart. Was my 12th SKS, first Para. I later added a sling, bayo and swapped out the black stock decent scrubbed Para furniture in my stash. PAX
 
As issued SKS45 for $350 when the Chinese floor was $250. I went home, him-hawed around, went back that afternoon...gonners. I jumped in my rig, ran down to an LGS that had a SKS Paratrooper that'd been sittin for a few months at $425, went I got there they just marked it down to $300 OTD. Put it my cart. Was my 12th SKS, first Para. I later added a sling, bayo and swapped out the black stock decent scrubbed Para furniture in my stash. PAX
Nice. Always wanted me an SKS. I see you also got what looks like an authentic chinese mag carrier chest rig.
 
I luvs me some SKS. I've got about 35 including 9 Paratroopers, down from 50 since 2018. I moved all the dupes, commercial, parts built and mismatched rifles. First time I ever sold anything and just started thinning the herd. Also threw out a Russian light refurb, 2 Albanians, a Romanian and an Egyptian FN49. I have 2 40MM ammo cans with those chest rigs filled with strippers, and at least 20 leather ammo pouches mated to web gear and harnesses. 3 harnesses with German G3 mag pouches for my 5-round fixed mag PSG1 clone. The other day I through on one set, guess what, I'm not running anywhere, that crap got heavier in 25 years. PAX.
 
I think we all know what I’m talking about. What C&R did you pass up or let go of and now regret it the most?

Let’s be more specific than “69.99 Big 5 Mosins, SKSs, VZ24 etc.” we all regret not taking better advantage of those.

I’ll go first:
Plenty of missed opportunities/regrets but the one that stings the most is pawning a 1891 Argentine.
The one I passed up on was this beautiful Ruger M77 in .30-06. It had a quality wooden stock and a solid, already zeroed glass optic. It came with a sling and a side saddle with pockets for spare rounds. It was listed at $600. I passed it on, and it was bought soon after. I still regret not buying it.
 
I passed on a Remington made M1891, still in 7.62x54R at a gun show at the Cow Palace. I never really liked Mosins all that much, but regret not getting that one.
 
MIssed a beautfiul Colt 1903 at a Turner's in 2013. Still have the photo I took. Any ideas as to what the red star was?

Missed Colt.webp
 
More Big-5 stories.
I used to always stop by weekly and see what new C + R guns came in
One time they had some Enfield jungle carbines. Hmmmmm interesting
Got talking to the guy behind counter he says ' That thing will kick like a wet mule '
OK, I walked away ,,, At home did some research......went back to get one
All Gone !!!!!!
Also , I was That Guy that was at the Door with the flyer Coupon !!!
Scored some Good Stuff . One Mosin 91/30 I hand picked had a K98 bayonet with it !
 
$600 dollars for an original, shoot able, Dan Lefever at a gun shop in Carson 10 or so years ago. Perhaps I'll find another someday.
 
At the last Reno Gun Show I went to, I kick myself for passing on the MAS-45 training rifle that someone was selling. Never fired, fresh out of the cosmoline, several mags, factory sling. $600.

Passed because I wasn't familiar with the model. Sadly, realized my error once I educated myself a bit.


large_307573-157_1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom