By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
I currently am on the lookout for a Springfield 1903 sporter with a blown out barrel etc. I have an early 1903 with the brittle heat treat and someone broke the bottom lug. replacement receivers seem like hens teeth and welding and re-heat treating seems more expensive than a basket case sporter. I may opt for an 03A3 if that's my only option.
Please DM me if you come across something that will work for me![]()
Krags used to be a great deal for hunters in the US when you could get them for just a few dollars. Before scopes were widely available, people would put Redfield or Pacific peep sights on them and you had yourself a VERY effective rifle for medium to large game. There are some gorgeous Krag sporters available out there. I'd never turn my nose up at one...Thoughts on purchasing “sporterized” milsurp rifles?
I have bought two;
One was a Remington 1903a3, which brought back to milsurp specs.
(It was a bunch of work, but worth it)
The other was a 30-40 Kraig, it was nicely done so I kept it as-is.
The problem with sporters is that people want too much for them. There's really no point in buying them for the shooting aspect anymore considering the cheapest rifle at sportsmens warehouse with the cheapest amazon optic will easily outshoot sporterized milsurps, while being in a readily available caliber.
The historical collectability aspect of the rifles has also been butchered in the process, so that's gone too. Back when the Vallejo gunshow actually had guns there was a guy with a table of No1Mk3 Enfields, he wanted 400-450 for one. Right across from him some old boomer had a butchered no1mk3 for 300.


this is the wayLike you said, buy them and put them back to their original glory!