18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Thread Crapping on listings.. Vote!

Take a survey

Do you want to allow thread crapping on listings?

  • Yes - should be able to comment on price

    Votes: 59 32.2%
  • No - No comments on price

    Votes: 84 45.9%
  • Emojis ftw! -💩🍆👍

    Votes: 40 21.9%

  • Total voters
    183
  • Poll closed .
I tend to just laugh at people who are that angry at the world. All they're doing is shortening their own life and lowering its quality via stress. Whatever. Doesn't bother me one bit if someone sends me a silly ass PM about how mad they are over nothing.
 
For me personally, unless it is a super rare, one-of-a-kind custom gun that people will be fighting over, I just laugh to myself whenever I see $1000 stock Glocks and move on.
It obviously isnt going to sell, so let the guy suffer silently. He will eventually reduce the price until it is at market value, if he really wants to sell it that is.
 
I tend to just laugh at people who are that angry at the world. All they're doing is shortening their own life and lowering its quality via stress. Whatever. Doesn't bother me one bit if someone sends me a silly ass PM about how mad they are over nothing.

Same. Personal attacks, insults, slurs, whatever, they don't bother me at all. At all. It's just words on a screen. Now, if someone takes it to the next level into actual harassment like targeted PMs, troll accounts, etc. that's when things change, otherwise I really couldn't care less. I think it's funny and enjoy the banter, but I've also been arguing in online forums for 30 years so it takes an awful lot to offend me.
 
I think the significant difference is just the business aspect of it. if someones dming you over something on the forums you posted, cool whatever. its when money starts getting involved that the tone needs to change to be more professional.

I advocated for more free speech on this forum not too long ago in regards to cursing that might seem to be at odds with this attitude now. I believe the content of the message is more important than the words chosen to express it. if the content is just to personally attack your potential customer for not liking your product or price, then that has no place in the classifieds.
 
The only comments that should be allowed in a FS listing are clarifying-type (e.g. “Is the optic included?” “Are those 10/30 mags?” “Will that flared magwell make me look fat?”).

Don’t like the price, move on. Who cares that it’s not priced at what YOU think it worth??
 
I think the significant difference is just the business aspect of it. if someones dming you over something on the forums you posted, cool whatever. its when money starts getting involved that the tone needs to change to be more professional.

I advocated for more free speech on this forum not too long ago in regards to cursing that might seem to be at odds with this attitude now. I believe the content of the message is more important than the words chosen to express it. if the content is just to personally attack your potential customer for not liking your product or price, then that has no place in the classifieds.

I don't necessarily disagree with this either. I'm just speaking personally rather than suggesting any kind of policy change one way or the other. I can recognize that I'm on the far end of the spectrum, and don't expect what's normal for me to be the standard for everyone else.
 
Same. Personal attacks, insults, slurs, whatever, they don't bother me at all. At all. It's just words on a screen. Now, if someone takes it to the next level into actual harassment like targeted PMs, troll accounts, etc. that's when things change, otherwise I really couldn't care less. I think it's funny and enjoy the banter, but I've also been arguing in online forums for 30 years so it takes an awful lot to offend me.
I don't even care about targeted PMs or other accounts. If they want to waste their lives on that, good gir them. I'll chuckle and go about my 💩.
 
I don't even care about targeted PMs or other accounts. If they want to waste their lives on that, good gir them. I'll chuckle and go about my 💩.

Eh, when someone intentionally tries to evade being blocked/banned and takes things into the realm of actual targeted harassment, that's where I draw the line. Anything short of that and I'm pretty easy-going.
 
The only comments that should be allowed in a FS listing are clarifying-type (e.g. “Is the optic included?” “Are those 10/30 mags?” “Will that flared magwell make me look fat?”).

Don’t like the price, move on. Who cares that it’s not priced at what YOU think it worth??
Agree. Is a comment and/or an emoji in reply even necessary?

The price is the price, for whatever reason - see it, chuckle, and move on. I see an 'emoji' which does convey a point of view, depending on that emoji, as little more than substitute for textual comment.

Opinions can be wrong or even vengeful, but once tacked to a for sale listing they often stand and then give a stigma to the offer. It can be debilitating to the seller's purpose.

I haven't sold anything in over 10 years but there was a time I posted a very early and unique configuration 95% original finish S&W Registered Magnum on Calguns, a rare example even among regsiter'eds. While it didn't have its box or cert, it had a Roy Jinks letter authenticating it, and I was asking a very reasonable price of $6,500.

Yet some numbnuts, proud of putting his ineptitude and lack of knowledge of firearms on display, came along commenting on the 'rare' part and that Turdners had the 'same thing' in their consignment section for $1,600 even including a link to their site (which was actually just a model 27-2, and ironically that price they were asking was sorely inflated for a 27-2 without its box or docs at that time). Anyone having read his retort, while also sharing his similar disposition and lack of awareness, might have nodded in agreement and moved on rather than learning a little bit about the gun itself AND realizing it was a good deal.

I think if he had left a 'laughing emoji' to my ad, it would have had the same affect.

Sometimes guns are simply 'rare' or in 'mint' condition. I have some revolvers that are over 50 years old, original finish, with no turn-ring or barrel/slide wear. At a glance, an uninformed observer may think they were a 2024 production gun.

---
 
I think this is a pretty important poll that the forum should want a lot of responses to in order to see what direction the community wants, but its visibility is relying on this particular thread being bumped up. Can the poll be moved to its own dedicated post and stuck on top? 🔝
 
I'm ambivalent so I don't want to cast a vote. Whatever the community decides is fine either way with me.
 
Threadcrapping, ie: making derogatory or completely unconstructive comments about the item, price, or seller, absolutely not.

A single line along the lines of "FYI, your [item] is [ X ] dollars cheaper new at such-and-so-place" should be fine. God knows I'd want to know if I'd overpriced my item and it's going to sit unsold forever.

Likewise an "I know" or short explanation from the seller saying why he thinks he'll get X-Y-Z price is fine, but a "Hey, f*ck you, buddy, I'll charge what I want and you can eat sh*t and die" is 100% not cool.

Some people have very thin skin, and some don't take criticism well, so, like all things, it's about how it's presented or executed on both sides. I know the dudes in charge probably don't want to hear this because it means a lot more time and interaction, but it needs to be judged on a case-by-case basis if allowed.

My 2¢.
 
Likewise an "I know" or short explanation from the seller saying why he thinks he'll get X-Y-Z price is fine, but a "Hey, f*ck you, buddy, I'll charge what I want and you can eat sh*t and die" is 100% not cool.

I dunno, that would make my laugh if I saw it. :ROFLMAO:
 
Cannot vote here being from Tennessee, the CA marketplace is irrelevant unless you live there. But I will say that if someone wants to ask $3,700 for a $500 gun (or whatever), why not just ignore it and move on?
 
Cannot vote here being from Tennessee, the CA marketplace is irrelevant unless you live there. But I will say that if someone wants to ask $3,700 for a $500 gun (or whatever), why not just ignore it and move on?

I think most people choose to do this. I take this route, but I also believe if someone wants to react or say anything they should be able to. Those who react or say something should also expect to be responded to at some point. Mods can draw that line as to what is too far or what constitutes harassment. To me people throwing a few names back and forth is harmless but I don’t get to decide. Ultimately it needs to be a compromise between freedom to say things and a policy that might drive away members who don’t want to deal with hostility. It’s CA, we need to be welcoming to as many people as we can entering into gun ownership.
 
Ultimately it needs to be a compromise between freedom to say things and a policy that might drive away members who don’t want to deal with hostility.

I get it MrKly, but I have also seen over the last 25 years how every forum that allows comments on pricing in their respective marketplaces seem to descend into chaos and hard feelings. Hence the rule in almost every forum I participate in. I have thick skin, I don't really care... but for every one like you and me, there is another who will get butthurt.

There is a guy locally, Tenne-freakin-see, that is selling individual M855 green tips for $30 per clip in the local marketplace. It takes everything in my to not offer him as many as he wants to buy for $20 each. :p But I just let the market correct itself. 😜 Those go for about $3-4 each around here. I thought it might be a typo, but he did it twice.

1731349437986.png
 
I had a HCP with holster listed at 600. I got a haha emoji on that listing. Same guy liked another sellers HCP listing minus the holster at the same exact price. Interesting

I have a very lightly used and cerakoted off Roster gun listed at less than what the soon to be on roster variant would be listed at. I got a haha emoji from the same guy. I still got my buyer and am meeting up with them but 🤷‍♂️

To me, this guy isn't a potential buyer, he's just bored making rounds throughout the forum posting poop and haha emojis. Some I get , others I don't agree with. Whatever MY opinion on an item is though, that's my opinion. If that item that he's laughing at has 5 watchers , obviously people are interested.

Id say emojis can be threadcrapping. It's not pointing out anything constructive other than that particular clowns feelings. $1500 stock Glocks? Just move on, not worth negotiating with someone that out of touch with the market. Less than MSRP or guns priced at the current market value based on other sellers? Why post poop emojis on one and like another's same priced item?

Odd to me.
 
Id say emojis can be threadcrapping. It's not pointing out anything constructive other than that particular clowns feelings. $1500 stock Glocks? Just move on, not worth negotiating with someone that out of touch with the market. Less than MSRP or guns priced at the current market value based on other sellers? Why post poop emojis on one and like another's same priced item?
That's the point of the emoji. The alternate buyer can do h/w then ultimately determine who is and not reputable. If its one emoji, it could mean nothing. If its 5, then the community is saying something. If the 5 have additional badges, it says even more, if the user has feedback, it says even more. The point of the emoji is to give people a way to communicate with a reaction. If you get a poop, an interested buyer will still see through it. The potential buyer will think the other guy can't afford it. If someone gives a lot of poop, they eventually get recognized and lose reputation in time. Those with good reputations, will mark something a good emoji and will help the item get sold.

You can see ~60% want to leave some sort of message to the 40% who do not. In my position, I have to try and accommodate both to continue to grow, so both sides don't lose 100%. Instead both of you give up a little, and the marketplace is better off as it continues to grow.
 
funny this is my first post here after poking in an out for a month or two...

but I had to clear this up - M855A1 is not the same as M855

https://smallarmssolutions.com/home/the-m855a1

and it does currently command $3/ea

I have family and friends that work at Lake City, we'll see if it turns up on the next employee discount offerings ;)

 
Whatever the community wants works. Doesn't bother me particularly either way, just giving my two cents on my HCP story. Same price, same guy, two different reactions.

I do agree, we need an actual poll post pinned. 68 have voted while the community is larger than that. I've been scrolling past this post for awhile because I didn't care who steveo40 was. We'd get a lot more votes in if the title reflected the poll.
 
Back
Top Bottom