18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question Varget and similiar?

thresher

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
10
Classified ads
1
Can anyone direct me to other extruded powders like Varget that will work with 223 and 308?
 
ar comp

blc2 is a ball powder that works well and is relatively cheap vs Varget.

while it's a bit more expensive than others Varget is around recently.
 
Isn't AR comp ball? I'm trying to avoid ball/spherical powders.
 
I thought it was extruded? I just stick to Varget personally. altho I got some blc2 really good deal but that's def ball.
 
I'm a huge fan of IMR 8202 XBR in 223 with the heavies. No experience in 30HATE but it meters quite well and there is load data for it in 308WIN.
 
Stick powders in the Varget speed range that are temp stable are going to be N140, and RL 15.5. Other powders that are good for both but are faster burning than Varget would be H4895, Benchmark, AR Comp, and 8208 XBR. Of those four Benchmark is usually pretty easy to find, AR Comp is hit and miss, and H4895 and 8208 are very hard to find.
 
Any of you above have experience with CFE223?
It’s not extruded. But it works fine. Granted I’m a fun time at the range guy not a if it isn’t 1/2 MOA I get unhappy guy. I reload mostly for economical reasons.

Also, I would say I don’t really believe in the whole CFE vs a non CFE powder. At least at the quantities I shoot I’ve never really noticed a difference
 
I've got an electronic thrower and it seems to meter the extruded stuff better. Also, alot easier to cleanup afterwards. Good to see you here too!
 
I've got an electronic thrower and it seems to meter the extruded stuff better. Also, alot easier to cleanup afterwards. Good to see you here too!
I use a chargemaster for loading H4350 and Varget.
If you have not played with the tuning parameters, I highly recommend that you do.
Changing the final trickle speed to be slower and/or reducing the size of the tube with a sleeve will solve over-shoots if that's what you are having.
 
Back
Top Bottom