18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Vortex Viper Pistol Red Dot, Replace or Run Till It Drops

Messages
23
Classified ads
1
Over time, I picked up through PPT two handguns that already had the Vortex Viper red dots on them.

Glock 19x MOS and Springfield Armory XDM, off roster, 4.5" barrel. I won't be selling either one at any time in the near future.

Both have suppressor height sights, and both dots work and co-witness well on the handguns. I am going to be taking a number of training classes this year, and I don't need or want the dots failing on me during training courses. These may be the primary handgun(s) I am training with or they may be backups. Anything electronic can break or malfunction, so no dot is exempt from unanticipated issues, which I understand.

For those of you who have any experience with the Viper, or have contacts who told you of their experience,would you recommend keeping it and running it till it dies, or would you replace it up front and be done with it?

I don't care at this moment in time that it doesn't have the modern features of shake awake, etc., more concerned on durability, ruggedness and failure. I can replace them at any time, but also don't like wasting money.

Ruggedness and Durability ..........

My eye sight is still good enough for iron sights, which as of today constitutes 99% of my handgun shooting. So red dots are not necessary yet, but it's time for me to expand my skill set.

Thank you for your input.
 
It’s cheap on the second hand market but it is missing almost every modern feature. Footprint is also not ideal. IMO, get a Holosun instead. The vortex pistol red dots do really poorly in the durability department.
 
I had one a long time ago and the adjustment screw kept breaking, but when I sent it in a couple years ago they sent me a defender ST because the viper is no longer being made. So maybe shoot it and see if you can break it and then have it switched out for free, the Defender series stuff is solid.
 
Never used those but I’m already done with their new defender line that’s supposed to be better. Had one that went out and know too many others with the same experience. You hear everyone say how great their warranty is but there’s too many people that have to use it in my opinion.
I have 3 defenders and I have sent one back, but Ive also sent back several Holosuns, never had a trijicon but have seen those stop working too. None are perfect but the difference between holosun and the Vortex warranty was that Vortex was back to me within a week with email updates and Holosun took 2-3 months with the optics just showing up with no warning and no communication. I would still buy either one but Vortex is significantly cheaper and the dot looks better to my eyes.
 
I love them on rifles. Have several on ARs and 22 pistols and just bought another Optics Plant opmod version or whatever they call it for 95 bucks shipped to put on another lever gun. Small and sleek and perfect for levers.

Haven't used them on centerfire pistols like they're designed for though.
 
Never used those but I’m already done with their new defender line that’s supposed to be better. Had one that went out and know too many others with the same experience. You hear everyone say how great their warranty is but there’s too many people that have to use it in my opinion.
A few people I know had there defender go out
 
A few people I know had there defender go out
the early ones had a battery contact issue that seems to be now resolved
 
Back
Top Bottom