18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Walther P22 Ammo - What works and what doesn't?

I've been using an Advantage Arms .22 kit on my Glock, and while it runs nicely on CCI round nose MiniMag (the only ammo that AA guarantees compatibility,) it really does seem to hate most other manufacturers that I've tried, 'specially Federal and Browning, with VERY frequent FTEs and FTFs. I think that it's the waxes that they use, keeping rounds and empties from moving smoothly enough.
 
Walther customer service recommended mini mags or Remington golden bullets. They both have been fine
 
Aguila anything but believe the bulk 500 boxes of HV, and before that no issues with Remington Golden bullets. But, yes has to be clean and oiled before using so no FTF issues. Hardly shoot it anymore only because usually shoot my 9mms and CCW guns when shooting pistols when I go to the range which is less these days.
 
Aguila anything but believe the bulk 500 boxes of HV, and before that no issues with Remington Golden bullets. But, yes has to be clean and oiled before using so no FTF issues. Hardly shoot it anymore only because usually shoot my 9mms and CCW guns when shooting pistols when I go to the range which is less these days.
Same here. As far as the Walther goes, Mini mag or HV here. The wife can only shoot her GSG 1911 .22 so i have the Walther to shoot with her. I have had issues with the Golden Bullets with FTF.
 
I've had two and it's the most finicky gun ever. I've tried every type of ammo and it's really a crapshoot. HV ammo seem to have the best success rate however. One thing I do know is that what helped me was keeping that gun lubed up like a pornstar. It bums me out cuz I sold both of them and I really love the ergonomics of the pistol and it was very fun to shoot when it did function properly. I think if I was ever able to grab one again at a super low price I'd probably give it another try.
 
I've had two and it's the most finicky gun ever. I've tried every type of ammo and it's really a crapshoot. HV ammo seem to have the best success rate however. One thing I do know is that what helped me was keeping that gun lubed up like a pornstar. It bums me out cuz I sold both of them and I really love the ergonomics of the pistol and it was very fun to shoot when it did function properly. I think if I was ever able to grab one again at a super low price I'd probably give it another try.
Best post i have seen today!
 
Wow guess I’m late to the party I own a p22 in short it runs flawlessly of course it loves CCI 36 and 40 grainers and most other brands of 40 grainers but I’m really not having any problems with ammo.

Yes some users say they seem to be picky I’m not experiencing this, when the gun was new I had a few issues with going into battery but this worked it’s self out over time.
I know Remington/thunderbolts/ golden bullets are just not reliable enough they are not consistent.

I did not freek over it just kept shooting eventually it smoothed out. Also after the break in period say 1000 or so I replaced the guide rod to a captured set up with a stainless rod polished out the ramp and chamber and now it it’s not ammo sensitive at all.
 
Worst gun I’ve ever tried. I borrowed one and upgraded the recoil spring assembly as a thank you. Total crap gun. Just get a Buckmark or one of the Rugers.
 
Back
Top Bottom