18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Question What chokes do you use in an O/U for upland birds when using steel (effing California)?

BobGBA

Well-known member
📝 Contributor
Messages
368
Classified ads
2
Typically, I hunt over dogs and use IC & Mod.
I'm going out tomorrow and I'm going to try SK & IC.
 
I use skeet for everything except ducks. For that I use IC (over decoys). Steel shoots one choke up and I find these chokes work very well for me.
 
I use IC under Mod but I think I’m going to change it up to SK under IC on my next hunt.
 
Planted birds? Count to 5 after you kick em out of the bush so there’s some meat left to eat. Ask me how I know…
 
The SK & IC choke combo worked great today.
I'm going to use them from now on.
 
naming chokes is meaningless because your gun/brand/etc/shot/shot size will be unique. Gotta pattern your gun but it's going to be likely that you land on steel 6 and a fairly open choke unless you are planted quail or chucker then I would probably go 7s.
 
Planted birds? Count to 5 after you kick em out of the bush so there’s some meat left to eat. Ask me how I know…
I usually do planted birds at the end of the season when Quail Point does a discount, I call it dog training though not hunting. Their quail are pretty pathetic and often wont even fly very far and I have straight vaporized them because I had 6 shot steel for the pheasants.
 
Back
Top Bottom