18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

What is the best "micro" gun now on the roster?

What is the best Micro 9mm Available to us here in CA? (You can chose 2)

  • Sig P365 (P365 Rose, XMacro, etc.)

    Votes: 106 61.6%
  • S&W Shield / Shield Plus

    Votes: 50 29.1%
  • Ruger Max 9

    Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Canik MC9 family

    Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Springfield Hellcat / Hellcat Pro

    Votes: 19 11.0%
  • Kahr 9mm Family (oldie but a goodie...)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taurus GX2

    Votes: 1 0.6%
  • You're all crazy, I carry a J Frame...

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 8 4.7%

  • Total voters
    172
Riverside Magnum Range has all kinds of small, EDC-ready guns to try out. It's $60 to rent all of them (one at a time, of course), or "unlimited" rental. I've used this service twice when I was heavily in my search for a deep-conceal or pocket-conceal EDC pistol.

Most of them aren't fun to shoot, but these tiny guns are really just "get off me" guns and conceal extremely well. The P365 is pretty good, the P238 was okay, and they don't offer the Walther PDP Compact which I really want to try. I didn't like the Bersa Firestorm at all. I thought the LCP Max was pretty good too, so I bought one and modified it to make it better. I think all of these guns can be made better with choice mods and better grips such as those by Hogue.

One thing is for sure, most of these little guns are snappy AF, and not super accurate at longer distances. A gun's maintenance factors in too, for what it's worth.
I am actually surprised at how mild the recoil is for the 365. I would have expected it to be far worse for its size. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to take a multi day class. However, to go to a range and shoot 50ish rounds through it to keep skill set up is not unpleasant.
 
p365 by far! to whoever is saying the p238 is a 2011 gun, no that would be based on the 1911.. 2011 is literally double stack magazines only

the best p365 is the legion but its a decent size bigger then the small p365
 
i was planning on getting a p365 to put a ramjet on it, why do you think that?
Not sure, to be honest - and I tried a lot of configurations, including the XL with a Ramjet on every grip size from the micro to the macro AND on both standard polymer Sig frames and aftermarket metal ones from Sharps Bros and Icarus. Also, if that suppressor actually releases for the Ramjet barrel, it will likely be banned anyway, so I wouldn't get one (a Ramjet) for that reason alone.
 
Last edited:
What is the best Micro 9mm on our roster now? I've come to the realization that it's better to have a gun I carry all the time versus a "compact full size" that I can't always carry. (OK...not counting my LCP Max which I can really carry anywhere...)
I'd highly recommend the Sig Xmacro or the springfield echelon 4.0C for on roster guns.
 
S&W 442 UC is my go-to ccw, light, small, more comfy to carry and more concealable than anything else
 
i was planning on getting a p365 to put a ramjet on it, why do you think that?
I have 2 of those. It certainly tones it down and they are a great carry like that, especially pairing it with a Macro Grip Module.

I have a 3rd FCU and just ordered the 380 ACP conversion; my guess is that it will make it the perfect micro. The 365 is pretty snappy otherwise and not great for bigger hands, at least in my experience.
 
I don’t know how good it is, but the Seecamp is sexy AF. I have a Beretta Tomcat that I kinda love also.
 
Ruger LCP or S&W442 because I can about forget it’s in my pocket.
I own most of the micro 9’s and not a one them is as carryable a a true pocket pistol like the LCP.
I really need to try a bodyguard 2.0 and see if it changes my mind about the LCP.
 
LCP II is a great pocket gun if you don't want to carry a real one. I keep one next to the door to throw in when I'm just doing a quick mail run or something, or when I'm only wearing gym shorts. There's also an LCPII Lite rack 22lr next to it that goes in my pocket when working the back half of the property in case coyotes go after the dogs or chickens.
 
I have the Sig P238. The Hogue grip makes a much better feel. The pinky extension magazine makes it even better, though not as much as you'd think. In order of magnitude, Houge > pinky extender. YMMV.

Regarding the EMP...

The pistol is heavier. That said, it has been more accurate than any other 9mm I've fired. Am wanting to fire a full-sized SA 9mm to compare.

The EMP trigger is a solid performer. Frame absorbs recoil better than most. Only issues I have encountered have been wife & daughter limp wristed some jams until I reemphasized proper grip techniques. And the tight mag springs make loading +1 problematic. Have found best practice to fully load mag, slap it in with slide retracted, pull back to release slide, then thumb up for safety.

Nice firearm.
 
Whats diff with shield x vs shield plus? Is the X bigger but both still 10 rounders in CA?
Shield X has improved grip ergo with beaver tail, reshaped grip more like p365xl, less texture on side face for less rubbing against your body. Also greatly improved slide striations for control, all shield x are optic ready with blackout rear sights and front night sight.
 
Back
Top Bottom