By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Funny - saw that and picked up a few boxes. I’ve used Hornady and Federal and Speer over the years.The FBI uses Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P based on the lessons learned from gunfights involving vehicles and the lessons learned since the 1986 Miami shootout.
![]()
9MM Luger +P 135 gr FlexLock® Critical Duty® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Designed to meet the needs of those who demand superior barrier penetration and prefer a full-size handgun for their personal protection. Critical Duty® is loaded with the tough Hornady® FlexLock® bullet that delivers barrier blind performance when s...www.hornady.com
They found that bullet construction makes more of a difference than caliber when similar pistol calibers are compared, and that the load described above performs well while being somewhat barrier blind through common barriers such as auto glass, car doors, and plywood, as well as edge case shots where a hit is made on a durable part of the body (large bones, large individuals) or when the opponent is in any other position than directly facing you presenting an ideal shot (arms extended holding a weapon, prone, angled).
Humans being emotional creatures, it was extremely difficult to overcome cultural biases and adopt a "smaller, less powerful round".
The Lucky Gunner tests are a great resource for like-for-like comparisons, but gel does not tell the whole story when it comes to a defensive round.
In my experience, I like the Barnes Tac-XTP 115gr if the slight snap that the +P or heavy rounds impart is difficult for the shooter to overcome, or if the firearm has trouble feeding the pointy, soft-tipped Hornady bullets.
It depends on what your home is like too.Agreed. You gotta think about your personal use case. Best ammo choice kinda depends on where you are. At home if I couldn't grab a shotgun with #2 bird shot and had to grab a 9MM pistol I'd want ultra light weight & extreme velocity ammo like Liberty Civil Defense to avoid over-penetration collateral damage. In public, I'm carrying 357SIG Federal Tactical HST 125grain as a cop I know well said its worked well for him against human and canine targets which in my lifestyle is the most like use case for my EDC. Now he's required to carry 9MM he says he has yet to find an ammo with 357SIG HST power so, as I can carry 357SIG, I do so.