18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

When should money be exchanged during a PPT.

What if someone shows you the pistol and takes your money and runs? You just have someone's Caguns profile name. I doubt you'll see that money again.
Precisely why as a seller, I only handle all gun business matters, including the inspection, inside the shop with video surveillance and the FFL as my witness. This is by far the safest way to transact IMHO. Also, I prefer to hand the FFL my DL with the buyer present to give them the added peace of mind. One would need to be very naive and just plain stupid to take the money and run after the fact.
 
IIRC, Turners has a policy of no money exchanging hands in their store. I've just gotten in the habit of not doing that anywhere.
I have had a few stores say no money exchange in the store, one claims "or we have to charge you tax". That struck me as strange, who says you have to charge tax if one person hands money to another in a store?
 
Always before! The buyer inspects at you car, they hand you the money and then walk in the shop for a (hopefully) quick and easy PPT.
No way! Sorry Matt, I've done a lot of transactions as well. I'm not handing some stranger an envelope with $$$ in it before we go in the store. I want the store to have his ID so at least I know who I'm dealing with if it goes south. I've never had an incident but an unscrupulous seller could literally "take the money and run".

I had a seller show me an (off roster) gun in the parking lot while he sat in his car and I was outside the window. I said "looks good" let's go inside so I can examine the gun closely. He had parked kind of far from the entrance and wasn't replying to my texts on the way to the meet. It feels sketchy to me to conduct business in the parking lot beyond showing me the gun, although I have done it once or twice. This guy happened to be LE, and I think maybe his first transaction, but he was cool and came inside.

Personally I want to:
1. Examine the gun inside
2. Start paperwork (most sellers are cool with handing over their ID so the FFL can start while I examine)
3. ASK the store if it's ok to exchange money inside
4. If ok, hand over the cash, if not step outside
5. Complete paperwork

Some sellers are totally cool with payment outside after the DROS is complete, maybe because they already have all my ID and info.

One time we completed the DROS before I payed, we went outside and I was so engrossed in the conversation, I didn't realize I hadn't payed him yet!. He had this puzzled look on his face and then it dawned on me, OMG I haven't paid! I apologized and handed it over immediately! Pretty embarrassing 😳
 
Last edited:
I have had a few stores say no money exchange in the store, one claims "or we have to charge you tax". That struck me as strange, who says you have to charge tax if one person hands money to another in a store?
Where is the law that says this.

I've also heard, but if there is no law, I'm the type to be blunt about it to any employees that says illegal 💩 even if it means getting kicked out or banned from store.

I am proudly banned from ever stepping foot inside Ammo Guy in the butthole of Orange/Anaheim/Santa Ana/Tustin area.
 
No way! Sorry Matt, I've done a lot of transactions as well. I'm not handing some stranger an envelope with $$$ in it before we go in the store. I want the store to have his ID so at least I know who I'm dealing with if it goes south. I've never had an incident but an unscrupulous seller could literally "take the money and run".

I had a seller show me an (off roster) gun in the parking lot while he sat in his car and I was outside the window. I said "looks good" let's go inside so I can examine the gun closely. He had parked kind of far from the entrance and wasn't replying to my texts on the way to the meet. It feels sketchy to me to conduct business in the parking lot beyond showing me the gun, although I have done it once or twice. This guy happened to be LE, and I think maybe his first transaction, but he was cool and came inside.

Personally I want to:
1. Examine the gun inside
2. Start paperwork (most sellers are cool with handing over their ID so the FFL can start while I examine)
3. ASK the store if it's ok to exchange money inside
4. If ok, hand over the cash, if not step outside
5. Complete paperwork

Some sellers are totally cool with payment outside after the DROS is complete, maybe because they already have all my ID and info.

One time we completed the DROS before I payed, we went outside and I was so engrossed in the conversation, I didn't realize I hadn't payed him yet!. He had this puzzled look on his face and then it dawned on me, OMG I haven't paid! I apologized and handed it over immediately! Pretty embarrassing 😳
I like to start by looking at the firearm in the parking lot first as long as the seller is comfortable with it. I always carry a lock in by truck in case the seller forgot to bring one and I want to check for high capacity magazines. I had one ffl destroy my magazine after the 10 day wait because I didn't realize it was high capacity. He wouldn't even let me call the seller to come pick it up.
 
I like to start by looking at the firearm in the parking lot first as long as the seller is comfortable with it. I always carry a lock in by truck in case the seller forgot to bring one and I want to check for high capacity magazines. I had one ffl destroy my magazine after the 10 day wait because I didn't realize it was high capacity. He wouldn't even let me call the seller to come pick it up.
True, any parts or accessories that are not part of the DROS I typically obtain in the parking lot and throw in my trunk.
 
I don't think any store wants you handling firearms in front of the store
Not necessarily true. Most stores near me are in industrial areas, so there’s not really anyone walking around that’s going to go “oh no, call the CIA, they have a gun!” Plus, I just tell people to keep it in the trunk and not be waving it around. Never had an issue doing it there then going inside, and sometimes stores don’t like when you do it inside because it takes up valuable space.

The exception is Turdners of course, most of them are in busy strip malls, but I try to avoid them anyway.
 
The moment that paperwork is done. I've had one or two transactions that fell through because one party in the transaction didn't bring proper documentation (or maybe a problem with existing docs - expiration, etc). Some stores want you to walk outside to handle the cash transfer - then come back in. Always remember that everything is on camera now, and act accordingly.
 
For me personally I would take two things into account:

1) Buyer/Seller ratings, some leeway can be givien if both have a established rep

2a) For me as a seller I require payment after the initial inspection of the firearm prior to any paperwork. This initial inspection can be done inside the shop, if the shop doesn’t mind exchanging of funds between parties or for those that don’t allow it the inspection can be done in front (in vehicle). I accept cash, and Zelle. I did a transaction where everything was completed and the buyer went to pay me through Zelle only for his bank to put a hold on his account. Luckily, he was a standup guy and sent me the money through Zelle a few days after but you can see why I make sure money is “in hand” prior to any paperwork being started.

2b) As a buyer, I’m the same, I will give payment before any paperwork is started as I genuinely trust people that are right in front of me to not run way with the good that I just inspected.
 
Makes me wonder, does the FFL doing the xfer care who hands him the gun? My guess is all he's worried about is the signature on the doc is the right two people. Curious of there are 'ficial "rules" on any of it.
 
I've always done inspections (or inspected the firearms I'm buying) in the car prior to entering the store. After everything checks out, that's when money is exchanged. Then we proceed into the store to do the 4473. Never had an issue with this process, both as a buyer and a seller.
 
Very telling how brainwashed CA had people. You guys realize most of the country you meet at the dumpster behind Walmart and buy and sell guns, legally, right?
 
I've never done a PPT, but I would assume both parties would agree on how it goes down before hand just like the purchase price negotiated. That just seems like common sense (although common sense isn't all that common) to discuss the terms of money transfer etc.

Money up front
Half now and half after paperwork is started
Money after paperwork is started
WHATEVER!

Discuss it, agree and it should be a pretty simple transaction.
 
Yep, communication is good. Tell each other before you get there what you'd like to happen. Solves a lot of problems.
 
The moment that paperwork is done. I've had one or two transactions that fell through because one party in the transaction didn't bring proper documentation (or maybe a problem with existing docs - expiration, etc). Some stores want you to walk outside to handle the cash transfer - then come back in. Always remember that everything is on camera now, and act accordingly.
After paperwork is done? After the gun has started xfer process when the buyer can say "remember, I gave you your money outside the store; online; earlier." And walk away?

Interesting. Let me see if you have anything for sale.... lol.
 
Soon as the documents are handed over to start the process
Pass that money over!!!!
Some places say do it outside and some say do it right in front of them so nobody gets robbed.
 
Back
Top Bottom