18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

When should money be exchanged during a PPT.

When should the money be exchanged during a PPT?
Before any paperwork, dros, system inputs, etc. are started.

I don't give a 💩 if you have 20 feedbacks, you give the money before any input are started. Don't be a P.O.S. and try to give money when you feel like it.

When you try to demand what you want as a BUYER after everything was said and done before meet, don't be a douche at the meet or be prepared to be Screwed.

You know who you are.

Rant over.


I'm just curious as to why you didn't just walk away and not sell the firearm if the buyer pulled bull💩 like that on you. This is why I always insist on doing ppts when I'm selling a firearm at the closest gun store to my home. If something goes sideways, I didn't waste a bunch of time driving, they did. Sorry you had this experience, but people for the most part suck
 
After paperwork is done? After the gun has started xfer process when the buyer can say "remember, I gave you your money outside the store; online; earlier." And walk away?

Interesting. Let me see if you have anything for sale.... lol.

Should have clarified. After review of all legally required documents for the transfer, but before finalizing & signing the DROS paperwork.

Did you want to add anything constructive about how you handle transfers? Or just stick with the snarky, presumptuous response?
 
Some interesting responses above especially the "check it out in the car in the parking lot" Lol Can you imagine checking out a AR in the back of an SUV hatch up and some LEO drives up. You're gonna have some splaining to do!

I've done ~30 or so PPTs and they are always the same:
  1. Agree on price via text and email.
  2. Agree on meeting time and place via the same.
  3. Once inside ask the guy at the counter to "Clear check" the firearm.
  4. Once he does that, inspect the firearm and tell the clerk "I'll take it" and start the paperwork.
  5. Hand seller money in envelope. (always in a envelope)
I've done this ~30 or so times and every one goes the same way. One time I had the Seller hand the gun (Glock 17) to the clerk to clear check, only to find a round in the chamber. Clerk racked the slide and the round flew out and bounced on the glass counter then behind fell to the floor. The Clerk was NOT happy with the Seller (nor was I) and read him the riot act. Rest of the transaction was very quiet but went fine.
 
When should the money be exchanged during a PPT?
Before any paperwork, dros, system inputs, etc. are started.

I don't give a 💩 if you have 20 feedbacks, you give the money before any input are started. Don't be a P.O.S. and try to give money when you feel like it.

When you try to demand what you want as a BUYER after everything was said and done before meet, don't be a douche at the meet or be prepared to be Screwed.

You know who you are.

Rant over.


what is even the justification for exchanging money after paperwork has been started?
 
I have had more than a handful of people arguing the price after everything was done. Handle everything before the PPT is started. I've had people even come back and say they were shorted money in the envelope. Since im not part of the transaction my job is simple. If you tell me you were scammed or anything after the fact that's a civil matter between the buyer and seller but Im still going to deliver if I can legally do so.

Always a good idea to agree upon a return price. People do get Denied/Rejected/Undetermined. If so, the gun goes back to the seller who has already been paid in most cases. It's a good idea to come up with a plan with your seller/buyer on what (if anything) you are willing to do if that happens.
 
When should the money be exchanged during a PPT?
Before any paperwork, dros, system inputs, etc. are started.

I don't give a 💩 if you have 20 feedbacks, you give the money before any input are started. Don't be a P.O.S. and try to give money when you feel like it.

When you try to demand what you want as a BUYER after everything was said and done before meet, don't be a douche at the meet or be prepared to be Screwed.

You know who you are.

Rant over.
Made a deal with a guy he was not with the b.s .my local gun shop is pretty on top of paper work. I get before anything then I wait for my guy to give me the green light that I can go to my understanding when I relase liability and guy has paid me im good to go everything else is on the shop and soon to be new owner .
 
Some good advice in the thread. I would add, I’ve found it helpful to call the FFL in advance to let them know you are coming, and to see what they will/won’t allow—for example, are they ok with the discrete cash transaction inside the store.

My experience is that FFLs have very different rules.
 
Yep, once it's logged in and paperwork is completed you're past the point of no return. Money should be exchanged after the buyer inpsects and before any paperwork is started.
Agreed. In the parking lot. After they see the gun personally. Money should change hands. Then you go in and do the paperwork. Also, don't waste the sellers time at the sale. Please be ready so they can go about their day. It already takes a long time just to do the paperwork. Don't drag it out unnecessarily.
 
Back
Top Bottom