I think you’re not really understanding what we’re saying. The advice is you’re focusing on the wrong area of the sport for the improvement. Theres a reason a lot of people don’t use sand vipers or 9 major. You’re new to the sport and typically consistency and training are the focus. You’re adding in things that makes less of a difference until you’re farther a long. Also factor equipment wear, maintenance costs is another thing. We treat 9major as a special case because it’s not common.
Let’s just hope you get why we’re saying what we’re saying. From the beginning, I asked if it was for content sure, but if it’s just for an advantage you have lower hanging fruit in 80-90% of your game This is really for later in your shooter journey or you shoot open and just focus on those fundamentals and work opposite
I appreciate and understand exactly what you're saying and why, but you're answering questions that I didn't ask.
I completely agree that movement, consistency, transitions, stage planning, etc. are where the biggest gains in my actual shooting ability will come from right now. At no point did I say or imply that 9 Major would somehow substitute for improving skill. The plan would be to continue working on both simultaneously, assuming the tradeoffs make sense.
Where I think we differ is that I’m looking at 9mm Major from a scoring perspective rather than a skill-development perspective.
Similar to using a 170mm magazine to reduce reloads, it may not directly improve shooting fundamentals, but it can still improve stage performance and hit factor. I still fully intend to focus on fundamentals regardless of whether I’m shooting Minor or Major.
More points for the exact same C and D hits is still objectively beneficial during match scoring and classifiers, even if it doesn’t improve my underlying shooting ability. Those are two separate discussions.
Since I’m already committed to shooting the SV in Open, I don’t see much downside in at least exploring whether Major PF is worthwhile in the platform.
Ideally I’d run the gun in LO with a non-compensated barrel, but TTI apparently does not offer one as it was a limited edition. Unless someone eventually develops a comp plug solution (which I may look into), Open is where the gun lives.
I did hear back from TTI:
“It can and will cycle 9mm Major, however please be advised this will prematurely wear the gun down. If doing so, some shooters have kept it stock with no issues, others have switched over to 9lb recoil springs.”
I followed up asking about expected wear and round-count implications, because obviously there’s a point where the additional wear may not justify the experiment on a gun this expensive.