18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Why are compensators useful in CCWs?

JC2020

⚡️ Member+
CAguns Prime
2026
Messages
135
I understand how and why they work, of course, with flatter shooting, possibly improved recoil control, faster follow up, etc.

What concerns me is that self defense may not be under ideal circumstances, where the pistol is held extended and away from the body and in an open area. In situations where one is engaged with an assailant at close range (or point blank), is the compensator actually a detriment? Having gasses expelled upwards might injure the user. Especially since eye and ear protection will not likely be worn in a self defense situation.

Or when in a car, for example, the compensator may again be a problem.

I see that there are advantages, but they don’t seem to overcome the problems when it comes to CCW for me. Am I missing some additional facts that might tip the balance?

For a range or competition gun, the advantages are obvious. But for a micro 9 for CCW, i feel like compensators present as many problems as advantages. They just look great and are fun to have on pistols that are otherwise snappy.
 
compensators imo are just one more failure point and possible argument for a prosecutor against you. I dont carry em, and ive found their usefulness limited on the range. YMMV everybody be different
 
compensators imo are just one more failure point and possible argument for a prosecutor against you. I dont carry em, and ive found their usefulness limited on the range. YMMV everybody be different
True, to each their own. I prefer the longest barrel possible over a shorter barrel plus a compensator when it comes to micro handguns.
 
to expand on the "why" part tho, anything that makes you able to shoot better/faster/easier is hard to argue against, especially with already hard to shoot micro guns in what should be the ultimate test of your firearms skill.
 
I understand how and why they work, of course, with flatter shooting, possibly improved recoil control, faster follow up, etc.


For a range or competition gun, the advantages are obvious. But for a micro 9 for CCW, i feel like compensators present as many problems as advantages. They just look great and are fun to have on pistols that are otherwise snappy.

Train with it to find out if its right for you. Everyone's comfort level is different. I think you'll find the gas negligible in practice but the return to zero and reduced recoil impulse noticeable. Unless you're shooting at point blank less than 6" off your body the gas isn't going to be an issue. None of us can debate hypotheticals. You can't plan for 100% of the scenarios, just train to be as good as you can to be ready for many scenarios and hope none of them happen. If you think someone is too close, step back, that sort of thing and keep good distance between you and anyone near your while you're carrying. Understanding your own realistic capability & limitations is going to be the most valuable skill to learn.

Practice to get an idea of recoil impulse and gas direction of your firearm. Don't leave it to hypotheticals, see if you can rent the gun or demo it from someone.


Then when you make a decision practice

 
Train with it to find out if its right for you. Everyone's comfort level is different. I think you'll find the gas negligible in practice but the return to zero and reduced recoil impulse noticeable. Unless you're shooting at point blank less than 6" off your body the gas isn't going to be an issue. None of us can debate hypotheticals. You can't plan for 100% of the scenarios, just train to be as good as you can to be ready for many scenarios and hope none of them happen. If you think someone is too close, step back, that sort of thing and keep good distance between you and anyone near your while you're carrying. Understanding your own realistic capability & limitations is going to be the most valuable skill to learn.

Practice to get an idea of recoil impulse and gas direction of your firearm. Don't leave it to hypotheticals, see if you can rent the gun or demo it from someone.


Then when you make a decision practice

Is that you? Nice shooting!

Maybe I’ll try adding a ramjet to my G19 and see how it does, since the 4” barrel is longer than one in a comped p365 with xL length slide.
 
Is that you? Nice shooting!
That’s me. I like the radian but it’s almost the cost of a micro. So you can get another firearm if you want. I prefer the g19 with the radian its g17 length. The recoil impulse is also nicer than a micro.
 
That’s me. I like the radian but it’s almost the cost of a micro. So you can get another firearm if you want. I prefer the g19 with the radian its g17 length. The recoil impulse is also nicer than a micro.
It definitely makes sense in what becomes basically a full sized pistol. I'm just not sure the comps I see in the subcompacts make as much sense to me, personally. But I've a ways to go before I worry about accurate splits under 0.3 seconds.
 
That’s me. I like the radian but it’s almost the cost of a micro. So you can get another firearm if you want. I prefer the g19 with the radian its g17 length. The recoil impulse is also nicer than a micro.

After years of carrying a P-01 and a non CA P365, I added a G19 and changed the P365 to an XL. After the weight of the P-01, there isn’t much difference between the XL and G19. The G19 is a tool , it does its job. The P-01 is a joy, but the weight is a issue. The G19 is a little fatter than the XL , hate the ergos, but it’s easier to be fast with follow up shots and splits. It’s easy to conceal. You need to work harder with the XL.
I’m thinking I would buy another G19 before a CA p365
 
Back
Top Bottom