18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Why revolver?

do you want to shoot a more expensive round out of a more expensive gun? Sometimes I do. That’s about it though.
 
Revolvers aren't more or less reliable than modern striker/hammer fired handguns. The only malfunctions I've received while shooting a revolver for competition are all ammo based, same as my Glocks, 2011s, HKs, FNs, etc. You would need to find a really 💩ty striker/hammer fired gun to the point a revolver would be more reliable
 
Hard to go wrong with a Model 15. This one is a -3, still has the factory overtravel stop and a set of Culina walnut grips.
I have several model 10's in my safe that i bought with problems to learn on and then later fixed.
I also have a Model 15 barrel and have been thinking about milling one of the model 10 frames to take an adjustable rear sight and fitting a model 15 barrel to it to build my own model 15.
 
I have several model 10's in my safe that i bought with problems to learn on and then later fixed.
I also have a Model 15 barrel and have been thinking about milling one of the model 10 frames to take an adjustable rear sight and fitting a model 15 barrel to it to build my own model 15.
I wish I’d bought a bucket full of Model 10 and 64 revolvers in the late 80’s when agencies were moving to semiautos.
Milling a slot for an adjustable rear sight and replacing the barrel would be a fun project. If the barrel is still good you should be able to cut a dovetail or mill a flat and silver solder a ramp front sight to the existing barrel.
 
Last edited:
I wish I’d bought a bucket full of Model 10 and 64 revolvers in the late 80’s when agencies were moving to semiautos.
Milling a slot for an adjustable rear sight and replacing the barrel would be a fun project. If the barrel is still good you should be able to cut a dovetail or mill a flat and silver solder a ramp front sight to the existing barrel.
It never occurred to me to have this done. The adjustable sights on Model 15s and 19s are why I’ve always preferred them to Model 10s.
 
I’d never have a revolver. The design is antiquated. The round count is low. They are fat because of the cylinder. And they are more difficult to reload. Etc, etc…..
All your reasons for not liking revolvers are the very reason I LOVE THEM! There’s not a better feeling than a S&W revolver in your hand! As for round count….if you need more than 5-6 shots to get the job done, you shouldn’t own a hand gun!
 
I wish I’d bought a bucket full of Model 10 and 64 revolvers in the late 80’s when agencies were moving to semiautos.
Milling a slot for an adjustable rear sight and replacing the barrel would be a fun project. If the barrel is still good you should be able to cut a dovetail or mill a flat and silver solder a ramp front sight to the existing barrel.
I want the specific contour of the 15/19 front sight.
If I milled a dovetail and put a blank into the dovetail, it would come out more like model 14 which I am also looking at building from one of the model 10's as I also snatched up a nice model 14 barrel.
 
From a practical standpoint, there is rarely any situation where a revolver trumps a reliable semi-auto. But if you fancy yourself as being a shooter rather than just a gun owner, being able to shoot a revolver competently (which means double-action rather than cheating and cocking the hammer for each shot) is a thing. Additionally, the mechanics of a revolver's operation can provide a visceral enjoyment.

I carry a semi-auto for CCW and compete with a semi-auto, but as I age, I better understand why my Dad loved his wheel guns all those decades ago. And it really opens your eyes about trigger discipline to try running a revolver fast in competition. Lots of fun paired with frustration (sometimes it feels like you need to buy your gun dinner before it will let you push new rounds into the cylinder).

f2355b10d1ae07736f30b273e36d7345.png
 
All your reasons for not liking revolvers are the very reason I LOVE THEM! There’s not a better feeling than a S&W revolver in your hand! As for round count….if you need more than 5-6 shots to get the job done, you shouldn’t own a hand gun!
Any love for the 547? I prefer 9s across my revolver(s)/semi(s)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4260.webp
    IMG_4260.webp
    63.6 KB · Views: 28
First, should somebody attack me in my house, I would not use the $5000 Freedom Arms to defend myself. I would use the Glock. Because it is much more suitable for the job. I would also not use any 22LR revolver, or super-light 38sp revolver designed for concealment.

Second, if this was a good shoot, I'll get whatever gun I used back a few months later. I have enough guns (including enough nice ones) that missing one $5000 revolver for a few months won't crimp my style.

Third, if it was not a good shoot (or is dubious), then I really don't worry about the cost of the revolver. Because in that case I'll spend $100K on a good criminal defense attorney, or go to jail for a few decades.


I have way more than one gun. Some are very usable for home defense. Others are not suitable at all. Whether a revolver is suitable for that or not is an interesting question (I think a good pistol is usually preferable). But once I have one good home defense gun, nothing stops me from having a few more for other purposes. Such as hunting, fun at the range (and that includes the 100 yard range), concealed carry, or just to enjoy having around.

I think one can summarize this as follows: If someone has only one gun, it should probably not be a revolver. But I don't think that's a situation terribly many people find themselves in.
This kind of rational thinking and coherent thought will not be tolerated. Your independent thinking and purchasing things according to your own criteria is an afront to the very fabric of this country and this forum post.
 
Okay, I just grabbed another revolver and have an actual good explanation here. I have a Glock 44 that’s kind of a jam o matic. Always wanted a DA .22 revolver but new ones are quite pricey. Got a heck of a deal on this one.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7248.webp
    IMG_7248.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7247.webp
    IMG_7247.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 22
I’ve never owned a revolver, but looking at the recent “new wheel gun recommendations” thread made me ask myself if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool but honest question for all you revolver guys, is there any practical reason you’d want one over an equivalent sized/caliber modern semi auto?

A couple of potential reasons I can think of, but not sure if they’re valid (or applicable to me):

1. More reliable: This is the trope that usually gets spouted first; that revolvers are more reliable than semis and therefore a better choice for carry/HD/etc. Is this even true anymore? Maybe against a finicky old 1911 with the wrong mags with bent feed lips, but nowadays it’s not uncommon to be able to pick out any one of the top 5 handguns under a given LGS counter and have every one of them be dead reliable OTB. I am 100% confident in several of my semi autos: p365, DWXc, G19, and CZ75 all have thousands of rounds now without a hiccup (the DWX is only 2-3 weeks old for me but at ~2k rds now I think I can call it early). First off, DO revolvers ever have any issues with the wheel cycling or unlocking/locking during reload etc? Are they really more reliable than a good modern (and tested/verified) semi? I get that there may be some uncertainty with a new semi OTB, so there is a test window to confirm reliability, but if your gun has 1000+ rds with no malfunction what’s the functional difference?

2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: I have no experience here, but compared to something like a p365/hellcat or even a LCP on the tiny end, are small hammerless revolvers easier to conceal or pocket carry?

3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag: This is one I could see the benefit of; maybe if you needed a gun to carry in the woods in case of bear (or certain hunting scenarios), there’s the use case. But is it really better than say a good 10mm auto?

4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne. This might be the only thing drawing me to a revolver for my next purchase lol and definitely makes me wanna shoot one since somehow I NEVER have (anyone in Sac wanna go shooting and trade guns for a range session?).

Potential pitfalls:

-lower ammo capacity (obvious).
-again, I’ve never shot a revolver but it SEEMS like the way the grips are angled it would be much harder to get a good grip high up on the bore axis, and you have to tuck your thumbs to keep them off the wheel and keep them from getting barbecued. It seems like it’d be harder to shoot them well for this reason (school me if I’m wrong).

So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that
To be able to get Grandmaster in Revolver and have a Michigan license plate that says REV GM like I saw last month 😂 at Area 5
 
I have three types of revolvers: An airweight J-frame that lives in my pocket almost always; several old ones that I don't shoot much, but keep as a reminder of old time craftsmanship and aesthetics; and one modern full size revolver (a current production Python) that I shoot fairly often at the range and don't worry about scuffs or wear, because after a range session with a double action revolver, a striker fired semi-auto trigger is easy. In that scenario, a revolver becomes a useful training aid.

I'm under no illusions about revolvers, though. Modern semi-autos are much more efficient, it's not even close. If I'm going anywhere with much more potential risk than taking the garbage can to the curb, a semi goes with me and the J-frame becomes a back up. That J-frame is not easy to shoot well (I'm aware that they are inherently accurate and with enough training can be shot reasonably well, the challenge is getting enough practice rounds downrange to maintain that level of proficiency with a 13 oz scandium frame). It's a last resort, create some space to get clear weapon. Or a tool, as explained below.

My risk assessment has changed in the last couple years post-retirement. While I was never a door kicker and never had to go looking for trouble, I did spend time on numerous project sites ranging from very safe to very sketchy. I don't need to do that anymore. Now my most likely use case is putting down an injured deer on the road, or culling wild pigs on one of my properties (and I use a rifle for the latter). I never had any problems when living in the inner city, but now am in a small place with very little crime. Sure scumbags can drive anyplace but statistically, the risk is low here; violence is probably not even in the top 10 for me, somewhere below lightning strikes. I hike the backcountry often and have a variety of trail guns for that role, both semi-autos and revolvers.

So these past couple years, I probably could carry a revolver as a primary. On rare occasions I do, just because I can. I'm unlikely to need to put a lot of rounds downrange in a hurry. But almost always when I need something bigger than that J-frame in the pocket, I go with a semi-auto. Mostly that's because I shoot a lot more accurately at distance with an optic, so a modern optic ready semi is an obvious choice. And most revolvers big enough to be accurate at distance and relative easy to use and with real sights that I can still see are not light, and I'm so over carrying 40 oz of steel on my belt.
 
Back
Top Bottom