By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool
1. More reliable:
Is this even true anymore?
2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal:
3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag:
4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne.
So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that
Can I ask why (on both counts)?I got rid of all 9mm semi autos and never owned (or will own) an AR.
I own plenty of ARs just because, but I don’t shoot them often. I prefer lever guns nowadaysI got rid of all 9mm semi autos and never owned (or will own) an AR.
#3 just shows how incompetent the average human is, either do or do not, lukewarm means you suckAs a gundealer I will give my best shot at this:
#1 Some people just like the design of revolvers.
#2 Some people like the historical aspect and want at least one or two in the collection. Typically a Double and a Single Action Only variant.
#3 (this is the most common) Not everyone is a gun person or even wants to be one but they want something to defend themselves with in there home. Semi are great but not for people who won't touch there gun for a year at a time. If you don't plan on shooting it are you going to remember to maintain it? Are your magazines loaded?, if one in the chamber?, does it have a safety?, has it been lubricated? Revolvers take all that out of the equation for non gun people.
Hmm looks like someone modified my post, so there are hackers amongst us in here !All jokes aside would you want to be captured and skinned a live ? Does it matter about JFK, he was a gangster.
Yeah no, the vast majority of gun owners barely if ever shoot their guns. Im not saying its correct but in most cases these people are safer having a revolver.#3 just shows how incompetent the average human is, either do or do not, lukewarm means you suck
What fraction of guns are actually intended and used for defense (at home or elsewhere)? From my observation, a very small fraction.I’ve never owned a revolver, ...
1. More reliable: ...
2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: ...
FUDD spotted!I got rid of all 9mm semi autos and never owned (or will own) an AR.
I asked for a justification but so far it’s crickets. I’m getting “John Moses Browning had it right and anything after that is devolution” sort of vibes…FUDD spotted!
To each their own man. Go to Baskin Robbin’s you’ll see many different flavors. Everything has its positives and negatives. You have to get what you like and what works for you!I asked for a justification but so far it’s crickets. I’m getting “John Moses Browning had it right and anything after that is devolution” sort of vibes…
I think you are looking at defensive use of firearms wrong. My home defense gun is always being used for defense, not actively but passively. Having a gun on hand to defend your life is defensive gun use, even if you never have to use it.What fraction of guns are actually intended and used for defense (at home or elsewhere)? From my observation, a very small fraction.
Here's my answer: If anyone can tell me what pistols are the functional equivalent (in terms of fun) of a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull with a 10" barrel? Or the same gun, but loaded with cowboy-action loads in 45LC (which makes most 22s feel like they recoil a lot)? Or of a S&W 337 M&P with scandium frame and titanium cylinder? I know the Ruger LCP is marginally lighter, but the 337 has 38 sp +P rounds in it.
EDITed to add: Try a S&W 360 M&P Scandium with full-house 357mag loads once. And when I say "once" I mean it; most people (smartly) give up after 1 round, or one cylinder.
Mine are for offenseI think you are looking at defensive use of firearms wrong. My home defense gun is always being used for defense, not actively but passively. Having a gun on hand to defend your life is defensive gun use, even if you never have to use it.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!