18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Why revolver?

if there’s any compelling reason to get one. I think some of them look pretty cool

Seriously? Do we need to have any discussion after we determine the cool factor? Most of my firearms purchases have taken into consideration how cool the gun is.


1. More reliable:
Is this even true anymore?

Maybe. But reliability of modern top tier guns is pretty darned good so the point becomes moot.


2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal:

Nope.


3. Available in higher power calibers like .357/.44mag:

Sometimes bigger bang means bigger fun. This is part of the coolness factor. But sometimes little bang means bigger fun.


4. Cool factor: there is some historical significance to the designs, and they make you feel like John Wayne.

Ripping through a full magazine while staying on target is cool with your semi, but it's hyper-cool when you do it with your revolver.


So let me know how wrong I am on the above. What are the reasons you like revolvers and when would you pick one up over an equivalent semi? If I were to get one it’d probably be a .22lr for plinking OR a .44mag for the power/cool factor. Maybe a .357/.38 is more practical and versatile but what’s the fun in that

It sounds like you've got it all figured out. Personally, I don't get excited about the .44 or .357 any more. Been there, done that. Nowadays, .38's and .22's are the only revolvers that come out of the safe.
 
Some people just prefer the tactile feel, mechanical simplicity, or even the undeniable character of the revolver.

Case A: The first time I took my daughter shooting, her favorite gun was the Ruger Wrangler SA. We fired a handful of guns that day, from .22 through 9mm. She liked having to basically manually tell the gun to fire. Each time. The tactile feel and mechanical simplicity.

Case B: My wife likes guns enough. Maybe not as crazy about them as I am. She likes to shoot sometimes. She's interested in having a small EDC like the LCP MAX, but not interested enough to pursue a CCW. She'd rather I just get mine and she can have me along when dealing with sketchy situations. That being said, the only gun I even heard her say: "wow! That thing's F-ing cool!" about was the Chiappa Rhino 60DS Nebula. The undeniable character.

Bonus, Case C: When's the last time you saw a semi auto chambered in .500 Magnum, .460 Magnum, .45/70, or .30/30? Never? Revolver's got you covered. Raw power

Bonus, Case D: ammo sharing across platforms. Yup, everyone's got both semiautos and long guns that they can share ammo with. PCCs, carbines, battle rifles... 9mm, .45, 7.62×39, 5.56. The sky's the limit. When the end of days comes, you'll be covered. When the trucks stop running and the supply chain is severed, those that didn't prepare are going to be panic buying (again). If everyone has those calibers, what will be the first to disappear? Now, imagine you had a revolver and levergun setup that could share ammo. Like a modern day cowboy would. .44 mag, .45 LC, .357 mag, .38 spl. Those 'might' be easier to come by. But, IDK, just speculation. Not everyone thinks like this.

Anyhow, that's just my arguments. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy. If you don't need or want it, don't buy it. Just keep in mind that you could be skinned alive at any moment.
 
I bought an all stainless steel 357 magnum revolver for backpacking the PCT, hiking in Washington, Oregon, etc.

I wanted something that could be left in a bag or pocket for months at a time in hot, humid, and moist climates and still have the lowest chance of a malfunction in my firearm. I don't intend to have to fire more than 5 rounds of 180 hard cast long flat nose at a bear, coyote, big cat, or otherwise - so not having 7, 10, 17+ rounds isn't a concern to me.

The reduced amount of small and intricate parts involved in feeding and ejecting that a typical DA revolver is built upon gives me a lot of peace of mind that there is a lower chance of malfunction.


That's why I purchased, hike with, and practice with a revolver!
 
I guess I'm lucky. Looking back to the Academy in 1981, having been issued a S&W Mod 10, 6 inch, I can appreciate the revolver. My retirement gift in 2009, a Colt SAA 38/357.
 
As a private investigator the reason I kept my smith and Wesson revolver is so that I can be a hard boiled 1940’s PI and tell people the streets ain’t what they used to be kid

That’s basically the only reason to have a revolver
 
As a gundealer I will give my best shot at this:

#1 Some people just like the design of revolvers.
#2 Some people like the historical aspect and want at least one or two in the collection. Typically a Double and a Single Action Only variant.
#3 (this is the most common) Not everyone is a gun person or even wants to be one but they want something to defend themselves with in there home. Semi are great but not for people who won't touch there gun for a year at a time. If you don't plan on shooting it are you going to remember to maintain it? Are your magazines loaded?, if one in the chamber?, does it have a safety?, has it been lubricated? Revolvers take all that out of the equation for non gun people.
 
I pretty much agree with the original post. Same with spread guns.

However, I think knowing how to use both shotguns (especially, pump) and revolvers could be potentially critical in an SHTF scenario. For shotguns, breaching, bird hunting, drone defense.

They’re still out there. They have a simplicity and durability that allows them to be both serviceable and reliable in rugged conditions.

But I guess that also depends your personal goals. For myself, I value multi-platform proficiency, aiming to be a jack of all trades, master of some. If I had to pickup almost any firearm in its most basic or advanced configuration I can quickly become proficient with it.
 
Last edited:
As a gundealer I will give my best shot at this:

#1 Some people just like the design of revolvers.
#2 Some people like the historical aspect and want at least one or two in the collection. Typically a Double and a Single Action Only variant.
#3 (this is the most common) Not everyone is a gun person or even wants to be one but they want something to defend themselves with in there home. Semi are great but not for people who won't touch there gun for a year at a time. If you don't plan on shooting it are you going to remember to maintain it? Are your magazines loaded?, if one in the chamber?, does it have a safety?, has it been lubricated? Revolvers take all that out of the equation for non gun people.
#3 just shows how incompetent the average human is, either do or do not, lukewarm means you suck
 
#3 just shows how incompetent the average human is, either do or do not, lukewarm means you suck
Yeah no, the vast majority of gun owners barely if ever shoot their guns. Im not saying its correct but in most cases these people are safer having a revolver.
 
I’ve never owned a revolver, ...
1. More reliable: ...
2. Snub nose revolvers are easier to conceal: ...
What fraction of guns are actually intended and used for defense (at home or elsewhere)? From my observation, a very small fraction.

Here's my answer: If anyone can tell me what pistols are the functional equivalent (in terms of fun) of a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull with a 10" barrel? Or the same gun, but loaded with cowboy-action loads in 45LC (which makes most 22s feel like they recoil a lot)? Or of a S&W 337 M&P with scandium frame and titanium cylinder? I know the Ruger LCP is marginally lighter, but the 337 has 38 sp +P rounds in it.

EDITed to add: Try a S&W 360 M&P Scandium with full-house 357mag loads once. And when I say "once" I mean it; most people (smartly) give up after 1 round, or one cylinder.
 
Hmm if you actually have to use it for self defense a $5,000 firearm locked up in Evidence for ever or a $900 one locked up ? I’ve seen guys put 5 rds from.38 snub nose center mass at 100 yards. I heard someone say something about being basically an expert shot somewhere…things kind of change when you have rounds coming at you, just saying.
 
I asked for a justification but so far it’s crickets. I’m getting “John Moses Browning had it right and anything after that is devolution” sort of vibes…
To each their own man. Go to Baskin Robbin’s you’ll see many different flavors. Everything has its positives and negatives. You have to get what you like and what works for you!

I’ll also add that I don’t ever intend to get my ccw in California but once I move to America I’ll be carrying a smith and Wesson J frame because it’s light and easily concealed. The vast majority of incidents according to the FBI there is no shots fired. Just the presentation and threat of blasting someone. The small little pocket snubby you have on you is better than the machine gun or rocket launcher you have at home!
 
What fraction of guns are actually intended and used for defense (at home or elsewhere)? From my observation, a very small fraction.

Here's my answer: If anyone can tell me what pistols are the functional equivalent (in terms of fun) of a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull with a 10" barrel? Or the same gun, but loaded with cowboy-action loads in 45LC (which makes most 22s feel like they recoil a lot)? Or of a S&W 337 M&P with scandium frame and titanium cylinder? I know the Ruger LCP is marginally lighter, but the 337 has 38 sp +P rounds in it.

EDITed to add: Try a S&W 360 M&P Scandium with full-house 357mag loads once. And when I say "once" I mean it; most people (smartly) give up after 1 round, or one cylinder.
I think you are looking at defensive use of firearms wrong. My home defense gun is always being used for defense, not actively but passively. Having a gun on hand to defend your life is defensive gun use, even if you never have to use it.
 
I think you are looking at defensive use of firearms wrong. My home defense gun is always being used for defense, not actively but passively. Having a gun on hand to defend your life is defensive gun use, even if you never have to use it.
Mine are for offense

The best defense is a good offense right?
 
Back
Top Bottom