18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Wood finish restoration, a question for wood workers?

5.56Geo

Member+
2A
Messages
42
I screwed the pooch! I need help!

My father in law passed and while going through his possessions my wife found a small wood box she made for him back when she was in 8th grade and she brought it home. While I was cleaning it from all the years of smoke and cigarette tar the finish is now dull and somewhat ashy. It is made from cheap Pine or similar grade wood.

My question, what could I put on it to restore some of the wood luster now that it is clean? Thanks-George
 
Tung or linseed oil will give you a good oil finish. You can add a bit of stain to it if you’re trying to restore color. Wipe it on, wipe it off, let it sit for a week or so to let the oil dry. You can’t rush it. After, you can apply some paste finishing wax.
 
Thanks guys. Here’s a picture of the box after I cleaned it with Lysol wipes. It dried ashy looking. I have not sanded it. It just took a lot of scrubbing to remove 40+ years of cigarette smoke and tar. Interesting enough, I looked and have Linseed oil, Tung oil, and wipe on Minwax Polyurethane. I’m not sure which would be best? I don’t want to sand it, if I don’t have to. I would be happy if it ended up looking like it does in the picture. Thoughts on which to use? Thanks guys.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1762.webp
    IMG_1762.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 3
If you like the current look of it, I'd do a final wipe down with acetone or denatured alcohol using lint free shop towels. Then 4 coats of water based satin polyurethane, light sanding between (do not use steel wool - >400 grit sand paper is best). Make sure to gently use tack cloth after sanding. Best wishes on your project.
 
Back
Top Bottom