18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Would there be any problems reloading this brass? *pic

Hills Berg

⚠️ New Member | No Deposits ☢️
Messages
6
I was pulling apart some factory loaded .223 cartridges and found a few like this. Does an off-set flash hole make this unusable?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4818.webp
    IMG_4818.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 36
Should work fine, provided you do your job on sizing correctly, etc.

Were you reloading for accuracy intensive activities like Bench Rest or Long Range shooting I'd probably relegate that to the "practice" lot.
 
I was pulling apart some factory loaded .223 cartridges and found a few like this. Does an off-set flash hole make this unusable?
It obviously shot the first go around so it should be fine. As stated above, I wouldn't load it for precision stuff, just plinking ammo
 
If it was just a few pieces, i would probably toss them because it bugs me.
If its hundreds of them, I would re-use them and leave them on the range after the next firing to perplex the next brass scrounger that picks them up.
 
It obviously shot the first go around so it should be fine. As stated above, I wouldn't load it for precision stuff, just plinking ammo
This is from unfired factory cartridges I am pulling apart for components.
 
This is from unfired factory cartridges I am pulling apart for components.
Then sort the obviously offset ones and shoot them separately to see how they work compared to the properly centered ones.
Those flash holes are offset enough that it's possible for one leg of the primer anvil to settle into the flash hole or maybe even partially block the flash hole.
For that reason, I would sort/isolate them and see how they perform.
If you have problems with a few of them, toss the rest of them.
 
My question is how you prime those? With a hammer & a punch?
 

H. Bowman​

Just like you prime any other boxer primed case. Why would you use a hammer and punch to prime it? That makes no sense.

Now I understand after re-reading AR15barrels. The offset primer hole had me confused duh 🥴

(https://caguns.net/posts/131436/react?reaction_id=1_) do not what this is or how to quote posts.
 
Back
Top Bottom