18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Your guns have no value

There was a little shop by me, kid you not- a PPT was done in under 7 minutes.. Didn't need 10 people checking the serial number etc.. Sadly its out of business now
 
The owners at my favorite local FFL know me by name. I do PPTs, out of states transfers and buy stuff from their inventory. Because they're cool about the PPT stuff I always recommend them for everything, and if I want a particular gun I look to them first. They don't even charge a whole lot for out of state transfers.
This is what I mean. You bring your guy business and he's happy to help you out. Everyone wins and he's not sweating PPTs for you.
 
So I've been looking at getting rid of some old guns, ones I no longer need, or will never shoot again.

I know we're in the "Trump Slump" (no fear of new federal gun laws, so no demand, causing a market glut and low prices). But it's worse than that.

I brought a bunch of guns into a Petaluma gun store to see if they were interested in any. They weren't. They didn't want any of the pistols, at any cost. The guy said, "They don't have optics cuts, so I couldn't sell any of them." The stupid optics craze on pistols is so prevalent now that guns without them literally have zero value. (Chock up one more reason I fracking hate them.)

Rifles, they'd offer about 10% of their value. (on all but one, which was worth about 40%)

So what about selling to private parties? Well, because this is California we have to do a PPT (private party transfer, at an FFL). And while the state mandates that FFLs do PPTs, they don't let them charge more than $10 for it, so it's a guaranteed money loser for them, as they have to pay an employee to spend at least half an hour doing paperwork. As a result, the gun stores say they do PPTs, but they do everything they can to make you just go the frack away. I asked at a gun store in Petaluma, and the guy said, by appointment only, and on Fridays only, and they are currently booked up more than 2 months out. That's a hard no without saying so. So you can't even give a gun away right now. Crazy.

So that gun collection you were going to leave to your heirs? If they aren't a gun nut like you, it's just a burden, worse than all your other crap that they need to hire a dumpster for. They'll have to bring it all to a police station for destruction. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've heard there are some charities in other states that take guns. I will have to investigate that.
New to the forum but I’m always joining random ones looking for cool buys. If doing ffl transfer to Florida is something you’d be interested in let me know what you have and prices
 
Back
Top Bottom