18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Analysis paralysis: First time gun buyer

For the last couple weeks I've been spending so much time browsing forums, Reddit, and social media to see what I would want to buy as a first gun that will be used for home defense, range toy, and probably will try a competition sometime in the next year or two. I don't see myself applying for CCW anytime soon because I will most likely be moving in a couple years due to school.

I kind of have a buy one cry once mentality and want the best value. I love attention to detail and have gone through expensive coffee gear, PC builds, pocket knives, etc. I've held a few guns at a local store and what felt best in my hands was the P320 X5 Legion. Should I just commit to that or save a little money with something like the XFull? Are there any other recommendations that you guys would say. I know Glock is a popular one but honestly, it didn't feel right in my hands, felt cheap and plasticky, and the slide was pretty squeaky and didn't feel good compared to something like the Legion. The only thing I don't like about the Legion is the color but I figure i can Cerakote it down the road too.

Would love to hear thoughts from the gun community here.
sig p365. You can literally change the slide and grip for whatever purpose to experiment with including carrying, home defense, etc. I don’t support the p320 only because of the “ gun firing itself” is still of some relevance. But the p365 is good. I primarily shoot Glocks, and don’t recommend for first timers.
 
None of those are on roster.
Not Yet No GIF
 
5 pages and no one has recommended and XD! Ive been leaning towards an XD or XDM Elite for my first gun. Also not planning to carry, primarily use at the range and shoot steel challenge. Would love to find something that comes optic ready but there doesn't seem like there's too many options (echelon would be amazing). Would like to spend less than $600. Thoughts?
noones recommending the xd because its not as good a gun as other options. buy a glock, m18, mp 2.0, hellcat etc
 
noones recommending the xd because its not as good a gun as other options. buy a glock, m18, mp 2.0, hellcat etc
Seriously. If there are a bunch of experienced "gun guys" talking about good guns, and nobody mentions the XD, it's for a reason. Also for the same reason that nobody has mentioned the Echelon -- roster aside. Neither are great guns, and yes, I did own an Echelon. I liked it so much that I sold it after six months. I'm pretty sure that by now, there are plenty of decent optics ready on-roster guns available.
 
my favorite pistol was the sp01…. Until I got the sig p320 x5. Ironically I did not like signs until I handled that pistol
 
Seriously. If there are a bunch of experienced "gun guys" talking about good guns, and nobody mentions the XD, it's for a reason. Also for the same reason that nobody has mentioned the Echelon -- roster aside. Neither are great guns, and yes, I did own an Echelon. I liked it so much that I sold it after six months. I'm pretty sure that by now, there are plenty of decent optics ready on-roster guns available.
what didnt you like about the echelon?
 
Even with the roster, we have a number of really great pistols available., and so many really really great pistols off-roster. PPT is your friend.
Remember the bad old days, about 40 years ago? Most of USPSA was single stack 1911, with 9 major or .38 super the hot stuff. The G17 was just starting to be available. A few of the early wonder-nines starting to show up. These days pretty much every company has solid to awesome pistols available.
Now (doggoneit) the SP01 is only PPT, but some of the older model CZ are still on-roster. Canik is here. Lots of Springfield, some HK, Beretta, and so on. Still have the Gen3 Glock lineup. All these are very reliable with decent ammunition and any sort of decent maintenance. There's a solid chance the roster will go away.
If anyone can't choose, go to a range or 2, and rent.
 
For the last couple weeks I've been spending so much time browsing forums, Reddit, and social media to see what I would want to buy as a first gun that will be used for home defense, range toy, and probably will try a competition sometime in the next year or two. I don't see myself applying for CCW anytime soon because I will most likely be moving in a couple years due to school.

I kind of have a buy one cry once mentality and want the best value. I love attention to detail and have gone through expensive coffee gear, PC builds, pocket knives, etc. I've held a few guns at a local store and what felt best in my hands was the P320 X5 Legion. Should I just commit to that or save a little money with something like the XFull? Are there any other recommendations that you guys would say. I know Glock is a popular one but honestly, it didn't feel right in my hands, felt cheap and plasticky, and the slide was pretty squeaky and didn't feel good compared to something like the Legion. The only thing I don't like about the Legion is the color but I figure i can Cerakote it down the road too.

Would love to hear thoughts from the gun community here.
OP, you don't know anything. Take a beginners class, then buy the glock to learn on. Learn gun safety, learn to shoot, learn to clean a gun. who cares about how you think the gun feels in your hand....that is meaningless. A gun can feel like crap to you and it be an accurate firearm. You don't even know how to hold a gun. Get the glock...you will be buying many more guns later.
 
Just buy a gun that has a super reliable reputation. A Glock fits that bill perfectly. I have two, identically equipped G34’s. A G17 is a slightly smaller option. Stay away from the 19 unless you plan on getting your carry permit or you have small hands. Then get comfortable with the gun and go from there.
 
Perhaps mentioned, but do yourself a favor and avoid purchase paranoia. Guns aren't expensive like cars so get something that appears reasonable (and this thread has good advice), then dump it if you later feel like you screwed up. It will be a $100-$200 life lesson, not a $5000 one.

Btw, I have mostly Sigs and Glocks partially because the disassembly ritual is easier than most. That is something to consider.
 
if renting in a free state make sure to pay for a couple utilities and establish residency after 2-3 months :)
 
For the last couple weeks I've been spending so much time browsing forums, Reddit, and social media to see what I would want to buy as a first gun that will be used for home defense, range toy, and probably will try a competition sometime in the next year or two. I don't see myself applying for CCW anytime soon because I will most likely be moving in a couple years due to school.

I kind of have a buy one cry once mentality and want the best value. I love attention to detail and have gone through expensive coffee gear, PC builds, pocket knives, etc. I've held a few guns at a local store and what felt best in my hands was the P320 X5 Legion. Should I just commit to that or save a little money with something like the XFull? Are there any other recommendations that you guys would say. I know Glock is a popular one but honestly, it didn't feel right in my hands, felt cheap and plasticky, and the slide was pretty squeaky and didn't feel good compared to something like the Legion. The only thing I don't like about the Legion is the color but I figure i can Cerakote it down the road too.

Would love to hear thoughts from the gun community here.
One gun that I always suggest to new shooters is the m&p 2.0 full size. Its ergonomics and grip texture are amazing. Great out of the box trigger and the irons aren’t so bad to learn with. You’ll need to get the slide cut for an optic which is cheaper than buying the Oem optic cut slide at the store.

I suggest rent the legion side by side with the m&p 2.0 and judge by how it feels when you shoot at the range. also consider if the price difference is worth the performance. Can’t go wrong with either one. The legion is surprisingly easy to shoot because of its weight and trigger.

For myself I would opt for the 2.0 because of price and I like how the grip feels, but I do have an m18 that I built out for competition.

Go with a friend to your local range and rent some guns to shoot. Place the targets at 3-5 yards and see which gives you the best groups.
 
One gun that I always suggest to new shooters is the m&p 2.0 full size. Its ergonomics and grip texture are amazing. Great out of the box trigger and the irons aren’t so bad to learn with. You’ll need to get the slide cut for an optic which is cheaper than buying the Oem optic cut slide at the store.

I suggest rent the legion side by side with the m&p 2.0 and judge by how it feels when you shoot at the range. also consider if the price difference is worth the performance. Can’t go wrong with either one. The legion is surprisingly easy to shoot because of its weight and trigger.

For myself I would opt for the 2.0 because of price and I like how the grip feels, but I do have an m18 that I built out for competition.

Go with a friend to your local range and rent some guns to shoot. Place the targets at 3-5 yards and see which gives you the best groups.

I ended up with a SP01 fyi. I do like the m&p 2.0 full size and if they ever bring out the metal version I think I would get that as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom