18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Analysis paralysis: First time gun buyer

Sorry mom, next time I'll make sure to read all 4 pages before dropping a comment
Instead, maybe just read the posts you quote. You quoted a post without even realizing youre repeating something thats already been said in the quote. Its nonsensical.
 
Last edited:
And if he gets a 320, sometimes it even goes bang when without a Every. Single. Time. trigger pull :ROFLMAO:
My M18 (CA model) has worked flawlessly. Always used quality range and defense ammo and clean it every time after shooting. I'd say about 3000 rounds down the pipe now. Its not magic- take care of your gun and it will take care of you. My older SIGS- same deal but much higher round counts. I also send them in to SIG for a going over/tuneup/oil change whatever you want to call it every 5 years (P229/.40 & P226/9 both circa 1992.
 
Three must have upgrades:
1. Cajun Gun Works Pro package
2. Cajun Gun Works barrel bushing
3. Lok grips (recommend GridLok aluminum)

I love me some CGW pro package guns but I wouldn't rush down this road for someone just buying their first gun! And obviously with any mods.. assume you wont see that money again, and if you do, its a bonus.

The barrel bushing isn't needed unless you shoot out at serious distance, and even then, you get into round count / fit of the original bushing, etc. - there is a reason it isn't included in the pro package.


Second this. I've had, I think, three triggers in my Shadow 2 and I'm ready to put it back to stock configuration. The stock trigger on the Shadow 2 is definitely good enough, and if I remember right, the stock trigger on the SP-01 is even better. If you shoot the stock gun for a few months, you'll find out what you don't like about it, then go from there.

?????
Shadow 2 definitely better trigger out the of box - It will also always feel better because it does not have a firing pin block compared to the sp01, p01, 75 etc. an sp01 with a CGW pro package will be better than a stock shadow 2, but if you pro package the shadow 2, then s2 will be better.
 
5 pages and no one has recommended and XD! Ive been leaning towards an XD or XDM Elite for my first gun. Also not planning to carry, primarily use at the range and shoot steel challenge. Would love to find something that comes optic ready but there doesn't seem like there's too many options (echelon would be amazing). Would like to spend less than $600. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
5 pages and no one has recommended and XD! Ive been leaning towards an XD or XDM Elite for my first gun. Also not planning to carry, primarily use at the range and shoot steel challenge. Would love to find something that comes optic ready but there doesn't seem like there's too many options (echelon would be amazing). Would like to spend less than $600. Thoughts?
For under $600 and optic-ready consider the Rost Martin. Everything else that is optic-ready is going to be over $600.

I had an XD and didn't care for it. I sold it because I just never shot it since I shot my Glocks. But if you like the XD, there's nothing wrong with that. They have very low resale value so you shouldn't have an issue finding a used one for cheap, like $300 or less. I think you can buy an optic-ready XD slide. https://store.springfield-armory.com/xd-9mm-osp-slide-kit/
 
5 pages and no one has recommended and XD! Ive been leaning towards an XD or XDM Elite for my first gun. Also not planning to carry, primarily use at the range and shoot steel challenge. Would love to find something that comes optic ready but there doesn't seem like there's too many options (echelon would be amazing). Would like to spend less than $600. Thoughts?

The XD has been a great Glock alternative for folks with smaller hands (myself included). However, in the past couple of years guns like the Hellcat Pro and P365 XMACRO have been added to the roster and those are more modern and just as ergonomically friendly (if not moreso).

Now, if you don’t suffer from a case of smallhanditis, then given your constraints what I would do is pick up a police trade in Glock or one at GSSF Blue Label pricing. That’ll run around $400. Then either pick up a Brownells RMR slide when they go on sale for about $100 or get the factory slide cut/nitride coated by Wager for about $150. Finally, do the $0.25 cent trigger job and throw in a $25 Ghost Edge Connector. Under $600 for a smooth shooting optic ready range gun.
 
For under $600 and optic-ready consider the Rost Martin. Everything else that is optic-ready is going to be over $600.

I had an XD and didn't care for it. I sold it because I just never shot it since I shot my Glocks. But if you like the XD, there's nothing wrong with that. They have very low resale value so you shouldn't have an issue finding a used one for cheap, like $300 or less. I think you can buy an optic-ready XD slide. https://store.springfield-armory.com/xd-9mm-osp-slide-kit/

Thank you for recommending the Rost Martin. Reading about it now and so far it appears to check all the boxes! Have to get my hands on one.

$300 for an XD plus $270 for a slide will cost the same as the and XDM Elite OSP. So I'd probably lean towards that but or just shoot a used XD without optics. While they appeal to me over Glock, they also seem old/dated compared the to Hellcat and Echelon.

The XD has been a great Glock alternative for folks with smaller hands (myself included). However, in the past couple of years guns like the Hellcat Pro and P365 XMACRO have been added to the roster and those are more modern and just as ergonomically friendly (if not moreso).

Now, if you don’t suffer from a case of smallhanditis, then given your constraints what I would do is pick up a police trade in Glock or one at GSSF Blue Label pricing. That’ll run around $400. Then either pick up a Brownells RMR slide when they go on sale for about $100 or get the factory slide cut/nitride coated by Wager for about $150. Finally, do the $0.25 cent trigger job and throw in a $25 Ghost Edge Connector. Under $600 for a smooth shooting optic ready range gun.

Ya I love the feel of the Hellcat Pro but keep hearing it's snappy and don't really need such a compact gun. I love the grip texture and wish wish they made a full size (or Echelon was available).

Will look into the Glock more. Thanks
 
Can’t go wrong with a Glock. It’s the Toyota Camry of the gun world. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it won’t be your last pistol.
 
The PX4 is seriously slept on. It’s a smooth gun to shoot, and if you throw a moderately priced LTT trigger job at it and it’s really really nice.
This + freedom week magazines keep me from listing mine for sale
 
Glock. Pretty much the normal starting pistol. Tons of aftermarket support, unlimited possibilities.

But the M&P 2.0 is a nice different option at a comparable price, albeit with much more limited accessories.
 
I'm going to try hard to fight the urge to pickup another handgun and get proficient with the SP-01. I also have a .22 LR rifle that my father in law bought me a few years ago but I never ppt'd that I need to get done now.
 
I'm going to try hard to fight the urge to pickup another handgun and get proficient with the SP-01. I also have a .22 LR rifle that my father in law bought me a few years ago but I never ppt'd that I need to get done now.
Sounds like you are new to fire arms. The SP-01 is really sweet, but doesn’t have a decocker. I suggest you look up proper decocking technique and practice it with no round in the chamber. Since the hammer is smaller than most revolvers the thumbroll os the safest and taking your finger of the trigger once the sear breaks. This prevents the hammer from slipping and also once you release the trigger the firing pin is blocked.

Pistols without a decocker have a far greater chance of a ND when you store it with a round in the chamber.
 
Sounds like you are new to fire arms. The SP-01 is really sweet, but doesn’t have a de🐓er. I suggest you look up proper de🐓ing technique and practice it with no round in the chamber. Since the hammer is smaller than most revolvers the thumbroll os the safest and taking your finger of the trigger once the sear breaks. This prevents the hammer from slipping and also once you release the trigger the firing pin is blocked.

Pistols without a de🐓er have a far greater chance of a ND when you store it with a round in the chamber.
Thanks, I'll practice that for sure. Would you also recommend practicing down range with live ammunition as well?
 
Thanks, I'll practice that for sure. Would you also recommend practicing down range with live ammunition as well?
When doing it with live ammunition is not really practice anymore, obviously always point in a safe direction when decocking it. A ND or AD while decocking will at the very least hurt your hand/finger and potentially much worse if you have poor muzzle discipline. Practice a lot without mag or ammunition till you are very confident you have it down before trying it at the range for live fire practice. Being able to shoot DA with a DA/SA pistil is pretty important. My SP-01 is a backup of a backup for defense and it sits with round in the chamber decocked, so DA for the first and likely most important shot.
 
Staccato/2011, Sig P210, Walther PDP ProX, Beretta 92x Performance, CZ Shadow 2 - all these need is an optic and ammo.

CZ SP01, Glocks, Sig P320, Sig P365 Beretta 92fs are good choices if you want mod or upgrade your firearm.
 
Staccato/2011, Sig P210, Walther PDP ProX, Beretta 92x Performance, CZ Shadow 2 - all these need is an optic and ammo.

CZ SP01, Glocks, Sig P320, Sig P365 Beretta 92fs are good choices if you want mod or upgrade your firearm.

Is the PDP on the roster? I don't see it.
 
Back
Top Bottom