18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Analysis paralysis: First time gun buyer

OP, how much experience do you have shooting handguns? This makes all the difference.

As mentioned in this thread, if you are not experienced, then holding or even shooting some will not help much to make a good informed decision. Getting a few basic classes to get your grip and fundamentals in place, will help you a lot to go and try out a few options and take it from there.

I have seen too many people at the range shoot like crap with the fanciest and best guns. If you buy it for use as a tool then get your skillset and a good tool, even if it is not the prettiest tool. If you buy it as a showpiece then get the prettiest one.

Reality is that you will likely get a few, some tools, some showpieces. For a first gun I would advise to focus on the tool part
Probably the best advice here. If you don't have any shooting experience, then you don't actually know how to properly hold a handgun anyways. If this is the case, then there is no real way to judge "what feels comfortable", since what feels comfortable is probably wrong.

If this is your first gun, I would definitely shy away from any single action only, or double/single action pistols. If it has an external hammer, look elsewhere. Make your life easy and just go with one of the more popular full-size striker fire polymer pistols without an external safety (Glock 17, S&W M&P, Sig 320, Walther PDP). Besides, if you ever have to use the gun to protect yourself, are you going to be familiar enough with the platform to disengage a thumb safety without any conscious thought?

Striker fire is a much easier platform to learn on, and once you get comfortable with a striker fire, something with a decocker or thumb safety will be easier to pick up.
 
A lot of wonderful responses and I appreciate it all. Quick update, I ended up meeting up with a seller from this forum for a barely used CZ 75 SP-01. The steel frame and overall construction of the gun felt really good as a first impressions. Can't wait to get it in 10 days and go shooting.

There's a lot of crossover with the specialty coffee community and here that I'm excited to get into. You guys talk about trigger feel and measure it in lbs and whatnot and coffee enthusiast nerd about different burr geometry and how that it affects the flavor profile as an example. It's great.
Good choice.

Now, whatever you do, just stay away from the Cajun Gun Works website. :LOL:
 
Probably the best advice here. If you don't have any shooting experience, then you don't actually know how to properly hold a handgun anyways. If this is the case, then there is no real way to judge "what feels comfortable", since what feels comfortable is probably wrong.

If this is your first gun, I would definitely shy away from any single action only, or double/single action pistols. If it has an external hammer, look elsewhere. Make your life easy and just go with one of the more popular full-size striker fire polymer pistols without an external safety (Glock 17, S&W M&P, Sig 320, Walther PDP). Besides, if you ever have to use the gun to protect yourself, are you going to be familiar enough with the platform to disengage a thumb safety without any conscious thought?

Striker fire is a much easier platform to learn on, and once you get comfortable with a striker fire, something with a de🐓er or thumb safety will be easier to pick up.
Wow, I feel the 100% opposite. Hammer guns are best for newer shooters. One can see if they are cocked and many have decockers. I have seen 2 accidental discharges ( with striker fired guns)personally and had a friend shoot his TV while ( mis)handling his Glock. That said, good choice OP. You won’t be disappointed. My 1st semi was a 1911, but there weren’t many striker fired guns in 1980.
 
Great choice. SP-01 is a tank and if you do go down the Cajun Gun Works rabbit hole, you can take it up a notch. At some point it's good to know how to completely disassemble and it may be more daunting than a Glock or a Sig. CZ has lots of small parts, springs, etc., but YouTube will be your friend.
 
Wow, I feel the 100% opposite. Hammer guns are best for newer shooters. One can see if they are 🐓ed and many have de🐓ers. I have seen 2 accidental discharges ( with striker fired guns)personally and had a friend shoot his TV while ( mis)handling his Glock. That said, good choice OP. You won’t be disappointed. My 1st semi was a 1911, but there weren’t many striker fired guns in 1980.
I suppose everyone has different experiences. I learned to shoot pistol on a Beretta 92FS and used a double/ single action pistol for years before transitioning over to other platforms. The manipulations of the double/ single action Beretta are significantly more complicated than the manipulations of a striker fire pistol. Now that I am teaching this stuff full time, I can see first hand how much new shooters struggle with the added complexity of having another control on the gun to manipulate. I would rather have a new student focus on their marksmanship rather than be distracted by where their safety or decocker needs to be.

I've also seen my fair share of NDs, pretty much all of which were caused by the shooter's trigger finger, not the gun itself. Either way, SP-01 is a great gun, just not the gun that I would like to see a new shooter walk into a class with. In the end, it comes down to how much you are willing to invest in your training. If you put in the work, you can make anything work for you.
 
I suppose everyone has different experiences. I learned to shoot pistol on a Beretta 92FS and used a double/ single action pistol for years before transitioning over to other platforms. The manipulations of the double/ single action Beretta are significantly more complicated than the manipulations of a striker fire pistol. Now that I am teaching this stuff full time, I can see first hand how much new shooters struggle with the added complexity of having another control on the gun to manipulate. I would rather have a new student focus on their marksmanship rather than be distracted by where their safety or de🐓er needs to be.

I've also seen my fair share of NDs, pretty much all of which were caused by the shooter's trigger finger, not the gun itself. Either way, SP-01 is a great gun, just not the gun that I would like to see a new shooter walk into a class with. In the end, it comes down to how much you are willing to invest in your training. If you put in the work, you can make anything work for you.
"Significantly" more complicated? Really? Not to be an a-hole (kind of) but is it that hard to use a decocker on a DA/SA? Or a safety? Seems like after a day someone could get the hang of it.
 
Jumping in with both feet with the SP-01 is the right move. Train as much as possible and continue to try other firearms with friends at the range. You taste may or may not change. Making the first step forward was key though--only so much analysis one can do!
 
"Significantly" more complicated? Really? Not to be an a-hole (kind of) but is it that hard to use a de🐓er on a DA/SA? Or a safety? Seems like after a day someone could get the hang of it.
You're not wrong. However, when you're teaching a group of new(er) shooters -- and for the fifth time -- you've had to tell the same couple guys to de-🐓 their pistols before holstering, you start to form an opinion of what type of pistol is best suited for someone just starting out. I'm sure the OP will kick ass with his SP-01, as he's already shown that he's invested in learning, it just wouldn't be my first recommendation for a new shooter. Just my opinion.
 
You're not wrong. However, when you're teaching a group of new(er) shooters -- and for the fifth time -- you've had to tell the same couple guys to de-🐓 their pistols before holstering, you start to form an opinion of what type of pistol is best suited for someone just starting out. I'm sure the OP will kick ass with his SP-01, as he's already shown that he's invested in learning, it just wouldn't be my first recommendation for a new shooter. Just my opinion.
Point taken. But if you tell them 5 times to decock,how many times are they going to keep their booger picker on the trigger of a striker?
 
If this is your first purchase, Get off the Internet and go rent some guns at a local range. See what you like then buy it.
 
Since this won't be your last gun, just go buy something and enjoy shooting it. The time wasted over thinking this could be spent enjoying yourself with your new gun shooting at a competition somewhere.

Just buy a striker fired gun of some sort of decent price (you get what you pay for) and start shooting competitions. You will figure out what you want next while shooting. Otherwise, you are going to be doing nothing shooting related and be nothing more than an Internet fiend for years.
 
Bone stock Glock 17 or 19 is not fancy or sexy but it is the Toyota truck of hand guns. It is simple and just always works. It is the best selling gun in the world for a reason.
 
Everyone should own a Glock 19 or 17. It's a modern classic. And a solid pistol if SHTF.
Agreed. I had been a fan of the 17 for a long time, and had preferred longer barrels and sight radii. Then I found a deal on 19's, Turner's had then in FDE with night sights for $469 or so. That 19 is a tach driver.
I do prefer the grip shape of the CZ/Witness (old small frame) pistols, and the weight makes them a little more comfortable.
The SP-01 at a decent price is hard to beat. Lots of support, pretty nice handling. Well done, OP! Mec Gar magazines are GTG, don't bother with anything else.
 
A lot of wonderful responses and I appreciate it all. Quick update, I ended up meeting up with a seller from this forum for a barely used CZ 75 SP-01. The steel frame and overall construction of the gun felt really good as a first impressions. Can't wait to get it in 10 days and go shooting.

You chose well!! SP01's are great.

dibs if you sell it. ;)

Glock 19. Don’t listen to anyone else lol. Most reliable and streamline pistol you can get.

Get multiple choices, but it's hard to go wrong with a G19 in the inventory. Mine's not my favorite pistol but it's also never going away.

That’s why I like the G34. A 9mm with a longer barrel and sight distance.
G34's are fun. I'd like a green one.
 
Back
Top Bottom