- Messages
- 50
Sp-01 is like a nice French pressed cortado! Nice pickup.
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
Probably the best advice here. If you don't have any shooting experience, then you don't actually know how to properly hold a handgun anyways. If this is the case, then there is no real way to judge "what feels comfortable", since what feels comfortable is probably wrong.OP, how much experience do you have shooting handguns? This makes all the difference.
As mentioned in this thread, if you are not experienced, then holding or even shooting some will not help much to make a good informed decision. Getting a few basic classes to get your grip and fundamentals in place, will help you a lot to go and try out a few options and take it from there.
I have seen too many people at the range shoot like crap with the fanciest and best guns. If you buy it for use as a tool then get your skillset and a good tool, even if it is not the prettiest tool. If you buy it as a showpiece then get the prettiest one.
Reality is that you will likely get a few, some tools, some showpieces. For a first gun I would advise to focus on the tool part
Good choice.A lot of wonderful responses and I appreciate it all. Quick update, I ended up meeting up with a seller from this forum for a barely used CZ 75 SP-01. The steel frame and overall construction of the gun felt really good as a first impressions. Can't wait to get it in 10 days and go shooting.
There's a lot of crossover with the specialty coffee community and here that I'm excited to get into. You guys talk about trigger feel and measure it in lbs and whatnot and coffee enthusiast nerd about different burr geometry and how that it affects the flavor profile as an example. It's great.
Wow, I feel the 100% opposite. Hammer guns are best for newer shooters. One can see if they are cocked and many have decockers. I have seen 2 accidental discharges ( with striker fired guns)personally and had a friend shoot his TV while ( mis)handling his Glock. That said, good choice OP. You won’t be disappointed. My 1st semi was a 1911, but there weren’t many striker fired guns in 1980.Probably the best advice here. If you don't have any shooting experience, then you don't actually know how to properly hold a handgun anyways. If this is the case, then there is no real way to judge "what feels comfortable", since what feels comfortable is probably wrong.
If this is your first gun, I would definitely shy away from any single action only, or double/single action pistols. If it has an external hammer, look elsewhere. Make your life easy and just go with one of the more popular full-size striker fire polymer pistols without an external safety (Glock 17, S&W M&P, Sig 320, Walther PDP). Besides, if you ever have to use the gun to protect yourself, are you going to be familiar enough with the platform to disengage a thumb safety without any conscious thought?
Striker fire is a much easier platform to learn on, and once you get comfortable with a striker fire, something with a deer or thumb safety will be easier to pick up.
I suppose everyone has different experiences. I learned to shoot pistol on a Beretta 92FS and used a double/ single action pistol for years before transitioning over to other platforms. The manipulations of the double/ single action Beretta are significantly more complicated than the manipulations of a striker fire pistol. Now that I am teaching this stuff full time, I can see first hand how much new shooters struggle with the added complexity of having another control on the gun to manipulate. I would rather have a new student focus on their marksmanship rather than be distracted by where their safety or decocker needs to be.Wow, I feel the 100% opposite. Hammer guns are best for newer shooters. One can see if they areed and many have de
ers. I have seen 2 accidental discharges ( with striker fired guns)personally and had a friend shoot his TV while ( mis)handling his Glock. That said, good choice OP. You won’t be disappointed. My 1st semi was a 1911, but there weren’t many striker fired guns in 1980.
"Significantly" more complicated? Really? Not to be an a-hole (kind of) but is it that hard to use a decocker on a DA/SA? Or a safety? Seems like after a day someone could get the hang of it.I suppose everyone has different experiences. I learned to shoot pistol on a Beretta 92FS and used a double/ single action pistol for years before transitioning over to other platforms. The manipulations of the double/ single action Beretta are significantly more complicated than the manipulations of a striker fire pistol. Now that I am teaching this stuff full time, I can see first hand how much new shooters struggle with the added complexity of having another control on the gun to manipulate. I would rather have a new student focus on their marksmanship rather than be distracted by where their safety or deer needs to be.
I've also seen my fair share of NDs, pretty much all of which were caused by the shooter's trigger finger, not the gun itself. Either way, SP-01 is a great gun, just not the gun that I would like to see a new shooter walk into a class with. In the end, it comes down to how much you are willing to invest in your training. If you put in the work, you can make anything work for you.
You're not wrong. However, when you're teaching a group of new(er) shooters -- and for the fifth time -- you've had to tell the same couple guys to de-"Significantly" more complicated? Really? Not to be an a-hole (kind of) but is it that hard to use a deer on a DA/SA? Or a safety? Seems like after a day someone could get the hang of it.
Point taken. But if you tell them 5 times to decock,how many times are they going to keep their booger picker on the trigger of a striker?You're not wrong. However, when you're teaching a group of new(er) shooters -- and for the fifth time -- you've had to tell the same couple guys to de-their pistols before holstering, you start to form an opinion of what type of pistol is best suited for someone just starting out. I'm sure the OP will kick ass with his SP-01, as he's already shown that he's invested in learning, it just wouldn't be my first recommendation for a new shooter. Just my opinion.
Everyone should own a Glock 19 or 17. It's a modern classic. And a solid pistol if SHTF.Bone stock Glock 17 or 19 is not fancy or sexy but it is the Toyota truck of hand guns. It is simple and just always works. It is the best selling gun in the world for a reason.
Agreed. I had been a fan of the 17 for a long time, and had preferred longer barrels and sight radii. Then I found a deal on 19's, Turner's had then in FDE with night sights for $469 or so. That 19 is a tach driver.Everyone should own a Glock 19 or 17. It's a modern classic. And a solid pistol if SHTF.
That’s why I like the G34. A 9mm with a longer barrel and sight distance.Agreed. I had been a fan of the 17 for a long time, and had preferred longer barrels and sight radii.
Sp-01 is like a nice French pressed cortado! Nice pickup.
A lot of wonderful responses and I appreciate it all. Quick update, I ended up meeting up with a seller from this forum for a barely used CZ 75 SP-01. The steel frame and overall construction of the gun felt really good as a first impressions. Can't wait to get it in 10 days and go shooting.
Glock 19. Don’t listen to anyone else lol. Most reliable and streamline pistol you can get.
G34's are fun. I'd like a green one.That’s why I like the G34. A 9mm with a longer barrel and sight distance.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!