18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Anyone try the H&K VP9A1K ?

As much as I love HK I think the Walther has a better trigger. I still kinda want to buy the HK because of the $250 rebate right now. I couldn't give an in-depth review since I only have one.

I don't think I'd pick it over my Walther which is why I'm hesitant to buy it, since it would basically just be having it to have it. But it's sick... curious how it carries since it's slightly longer but also slightly shorter and thinner


There's a rebate? How can I get in on this?
 
I haven’t looked at the CA HK stuff yet, I have a VP9 match, vp9, vp9sk, and HK45. I’ll never get rid of any of them. So long as CA didn’t F- the Design up get one.
 
It's an outstanding gun, the trigger is fantastic and very accurate. I need to find the part to remove the magazine disconnect because it's out of stock everywhere.
 
Played with one today, it feels really nice in the hand out of the box. The trigger is crisp.
 
Played with one today, it feels really nice in the hand out of the box. The trigger is crisp.

It's got a great trigger out of the box. I've upgraded practically every trigger for pistols I own, but on the fence about this one because it's so good out of the box. I still might consider upgrading, but not sure which is the best because I haven't had a chance to test any of them out.

I like a very aggressive grip and I have the Combat Textiles on mine which is 1000D cordura; it's good, but I might go with the Talon skateboard tape.

Edit: I just went to Taylor Freelance to see the extended mags as a previous poster mentioned, and they just released the VP9A1K deathgrip backstrap, that might be the way to go. Sweet.

 
Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my K. Chose it over an F or X because the just slightly over G19 sized K is slightly easier to conceal, and I don't exactly need the longer grip in a 10-round state... at least unless/until Duncan v Bonta gets resolved.

Most of the changes have already been noted above... no more finger grooves, flared magwell, slightly improved trigger. The CA "features" are also done really well compared to some of the competition; a relatively unobtrusive LCI on the extractor, instead of the hole in the slide/barrel that on some other brands blows powder residue onto the optic; and a mag disconnect that doesn't get in the way too much, even if I do think it's silly that they are mandated. HKs designers seem to have found a way to do these without adding machining steps to the slide, barrel, or frame. Compare it to Walther's insanely over engineered system with that big cylinder, a hole in the frame, and several unique parts.

Other HK strengths: Not needing to pull the trigger to disassemble (which is also why the mag disconnect is less annoying than on some brands) is huge in a safety sense. The optics mounting system is much more robust than some others, and the OEM steel plates are better engineered and stronger than some of the aftermarket choices. And the magazines are solid and well designed and they all, standard capacity or 10-round, function reliably with defense ammo (unlike Glock 10-rounders until very recently, and anything Glock is a moot point in CA for now).

They aren't perfect, but most of the shortfalls are easy fixes if HK chooses to keep evolving. The grip texture is way too mild, I'd really like to see something closer to the more aggresive texture on the M&P or the PDP. This would be easy to do by offering another set of backstraps and side panels with a rougher texture. And I don't get why the iron sights on an optic ready pistol are so low, they aren't visible through my EPS which has one of the lower deck heights available. The tall sights on the long slides work well with the 407C and some other taller optics, but it would be nice to have OEM sights a little taller than now so that at least the lower deck height optics would co-witness.
 
I'm pretty happy with my K. Chose it over an F or X because the just slightly over G19 sized K is slightly easier to conceal, and I don't exactly need the longer grip in a 10-round state... at least unless/until Duncan v Bonta gets resolved.

Most of the changes have already been noted above... no more finger grooves, flared magwell, slightly improved trigger. The CA "features" are also done really well compared to some of the competition; a relatively unobtrusive LCI on the extractor, instead of the hole in the slide/barrel that on some other brands blows powder residue onto the optic; and a mag disconnect that doesn't get in the way too much, even if I do think it's silly that they are mandated. HKs designers seem to have found a way to do these without adding machining steps to the slide, barrel, or frame. Compare it to Walther's insanely over engineered system with that big cylinder, a hole in the frame, and several unique parts.

Other HK strengths: Not needing to pull the trigger to disassemble (which is also why the mag disconnect is less annoying than on some brands) is huge in a safety sense. The optics mounting system is much more robust than some others, and the OEM steel plates are better engineered and stronger than some of the aftermarket choices. And the magazines are solid and well designed and they all, standard capacity or 10-round, function reliably with defense ammo (unlike Glock 10-rounders until very recently, and anything Glock is a moot point in CA for now).

They aren't perfect, but most of the shortfalls are easy fixes if HK chooses to keep evolving. The grip texture is way too mild, I'd really like to see something closer to the more aggresive texture on the M&P or the PDP. This would be easy to do by offering another set of backstraps and side panels with a rougher texture. And I don't get why the iron sights on an optic ready pistol are so low, they aren't visible through my EPS which has one of the lower deck heights available. The tall sights on the long slides work well with the 407C and some other taller optics, but it would be nice to have OEM sights a little taller than now so that at least the lower deck height optics would co-witness.
The less abrasive feel is nicer for carry though, the PDP compact really needs an undershirt or you're gonna be raw lol. I like the P226 style takedown too.
 
The Taylor grip panels are nice. The brass ones change the feel of my VP9 quite a bit.
 
The less abrasive feel is nicer for carry though, the PDP compact really needs an undershirt or you're gonna be raw lol. I like the P226 style takedown too.
Perhaps HK could offer the current texture in the box, and a rougher texture as an optional set of inserts that we can buy on the webstore? I'd be happy to spend a little more for what would help me on rainy days in the backcountry, without changing anything for those who prefer the status quo.

Until then, I'll keep adding grip tape.
 
Back
Top Bottom