18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Best 2011 CA Legal

I think if we fast forward 5 years or more the 2011 will be the new ar-15. Prices on the AR have dropped considerably because everybody either has one and for the most part nobody really wants one at this point. You know how people's attention span is, on to the next newest thing
 
At this point in life I would rather keep a roof over my head in food in my mouth than a $4,000 gun in my safe
I spent way too much on firearms this year already so I’m good for a while. But I could see dropping 2-3k on a really nice handgun maybe next year… I kind of have everything I need so it’s just spending money to spend it. I am very interested in the Sig GTO. Could even go through the family roster exemption via my dad if I had to
 
I spent way too much on firearms this year already so I’m good for a while. But I could see dropping 2-3k on a really nice handgun maybe next year… I kind of have everything I need so it’s just spending money to spend it


I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've even considered selling off most of my stuff and just buying a few of the best of the best when it comes to shotguns rifles and pistols. Having three safes completely jammed full of firearms and still having to put some in the closet due the lack of room kind of sucks while being kind of cool at the same time
 
Site admins said unless CADOJ comes out and says it’s an AW it’s being treated as legal for now.
They can say whatever they want, but I think that's a very real risk tbh. Everyone will have to decide for themselves what is worth it to them (if legal), but between what Reno summarizes here to include alleged second hand accounts from representatives at Sig that they submitted the GTO for roster testing and approval and were denied already on the grounds of it being deemed an AW + they have swapped to marketing the GT4/GT5 only in CA:


And my own knowledge of some of the other incidents that involve the GTO or similar such as the mandatory buy-back from a CA FFL that had buyers (including LEOs/roster exempt folks) return their GTOs and the canik confiscation from earlier this year, I don't really think there's a reality in which you'd be safe or want to be the test case.

It may not be widespread enough to warrant a formal bulletin yet or perhaps they're looking for ways to loop in other attachment styles such as radian and want to get everything in one broad cast of the net. Who knows at this point, but I think the length of reports, various incidents, and other data points and info from members of industry is enough to convince me it's a really bad idea.
 
At each price point what is the 'best' CA legal 2011? Best overall? That you can go to a store and buy new, or order. Not PPT lol
I haven’t seen anyone actually answer your question so I’ll say this:

On roster there’s not many options outside Staccatos HD lineup so any of those depending on your preference.

SSE Exemption “THAT I HAVE SEEN” (pretty widely available through many FFLs):
$5-6k Atlas no question
$3-4k Kimber 2k11, Stealth Arms Platypus
$1-2k Fusion Firearms XP Comp, Bul Armory
 
I haven’t seen anyone actually answer your question so I’ll say this:

On roster there’s not many options outside Staccatos HD lineup so any of those depending on your preference.

SSE Exemption “THAT I HAVE SEEN” (pretty widely available through many FFLs):
$5-6k Atlas no question
$3-4k Kimber 2k11, Stealth Arms Platypus
$1-2k Fusion Firearms XP Comp, Bul Armory

I did early on, but it probably got lost in a sea of other comments:

Fusion, stealth arms, staccato, race city defense, cosaint, Wilson, akai, etc. to name some of the larger low-mid low tier brands

Cardinal, dark forge, Fowler, Atlas, Hayes, TTI to name some of the mid to upper mid tier brands

Venom, rafferty, infinity for near the top of the mountain and the top of CA mountain for what can be bought technically new.

Also the 2K11 isn't available via SSE nor is Bul armory and RCD is probably a better value or better buy than the Platypus.
 
Is there a reason it’s called platypus lol
Platypus shoots nice, I have government length and like it so much I sold HD P4 after comparing them side by side. Liked better in anyway, other than coating.
I just wish it was true 2011 with removable grip and steel frame.
I now have an itch for proper all steel 2011, with DLC or similar high quality finish, and probably won’t mind to pay $6k OTD for it.
 
Platypus shoots nice, I have government length and like it so much I sold HD P4 after comparing them side by side. Liked better in anyway, other than coating.
I just wish it was true 2011 with removable grip and steel frame.
I now have an itch for proper all steel 2011, with DLC or similar high quality finish, and probably won’t mind to pay $6k OTD for it.
A used Atlas is an easy choice for that. Or a RCD for less, but you lose the alpha grip and some of the fit, finish, and support network.
 
I'm going to put my vote in for para ordinance. I have two of the old 1990s Canadian made. The p12 and a p14. The original 2011's. You can still pick them up private party for far less than you could ever buy a new one. Whether they're better or not is completely subjective
 
It’s kind of crazy to me that the 2-4k handguns have “not as good” fit and finish lmao. My first car was $2200 in 2012. A beretta M9 that will shoot 30,000 rounds without a malfunction and you go to war with is $600
 
It’s kind of crazy to me that the 2-4k handguns have “not as good” fit and finish lmao. My first car was $2200 in 2012. A beretta M9 that will shoot 30,000 rounds without a malfunction and you go to war with is $600
Already have one, with LTTs TJIB
Shoots like a dream, aluminum frame tho 😂
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1016.webp
    IMG_1016.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 6
Sse = platypus. Roster is the staccato HD or that new Wilson combat now. Sse if your not looking to add to a ccw permit or technically a exposed permit.
 
Sse = platypus. Roster is the staccato HD or that new Wilson combat now. Sse if your not looking to add to a ccw permit or technically an exposed permit.
Most IAs either have no issue with it as SSE or will accept washing the DROS do it shows up correctly before being approved. I have several cards worth of 2011s on my permit all SSE originally.
 
Sse = platypus. Roster is the staccato HD or that new Wilson combat now. Sse if your not looking to add to a ccw permit or technically an exposed permit.
I think that’s only an issue if your IA is really left wing like some in the Bay Area. Never heard of that being an issue out here
 
Back
Top Bottom