18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Best CA-compliant EDC handgun?

If you can get the regular small P365 work for you, it's a good one. I had to put on a Hogue grip sleeve before I can shoot it decently. The Hogue grip is inexpensive. I don't want to spend much on an EDC. The closer to stock the better.
The standard 365 grip module is unnecessarily too small IMHO. I never intend to use that grip. I immediately switched out the grip module for the Xmacro grip. I also have an X grip if I want a smaller grip, but not too small.
 
Some of the cagunners gave me some good recommendations for pocket carry. P238, ruger lcp, and p365. There aren’t very many options on roster. I thought about a kahr p380 but seems to be poor QC at kahr so you could get a lemon according to internet.

Google search handgun hero and you can compare 2 guns, stacking them on each other. It really shows the size difference well.
 
In my very non-professional opinion, I am partial to the reliable and proven stock g19 and g26.
 
Last edited:
Howdy All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a small everyday carry pistol chambered in .380 or even 9mm if you think it's fantastic. Pocket carry with a soft pocket holster is ideal.

I've been finding nice EDC guns online only to find some not on the CA roster.

So far I've found the Ruger LCP Max, the S&W Bodyguard Comp Carry (not on roster) and the CA-compliant Shield, the Glock 26, Glock 42, and Glock 43, the SIG P238, and I know about the SIG P365 which is pretty good gun whether it's ideal for carrying or not. I have large low-recoil guns already for the range so I'm looking for something small for my first EDC gun.

I'm not a big person so my hands aren't overly big. I'm not worried about a gun being too small for my hands.

Suggestions welcome, and thanks!
Definitely glock 26 it shoots like a full size
 
Howdy All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a small everyday carry pistol chambered in .380 or even 9mm if you think it's fantastic. Pocket carry with a soft pocket holster is ideal.

I've been finding nice EDC guns online only to find some not on the CA roster.

So far I've found the Ruger LCP Max, the S&W Bodyguard Comp Carry (not on roster) and the CA-compliant Shield, the Glock 26, Glock 42, and Glock 43, the SIG P238, and I know about the SIG P365 which is pretty good gun whether it's ideal for carrying or not. I have large low-recoil guns already for the range so I'm looking for something small for my first EDC gun.

I'm not a big person so my hands aren't overly big. I'm not worried about a gun being too small for my hands.

Suggestions welcome, and thanks!

Remember, your CCW gun is for GUN FIGHTING. It's not for convenience. This is why I recommend the Glock 26 as the minimum size gun for carry under normal conditions. It's wide enough to solidly grip and managing its recoil is easy.

Tom Givens of RangeMaster talks about buying two carry guns. They are setup identically. One is for carry and has a low round count. The other is for practice and training. You're doing to shoot it all the time. The guns are for GUN FIGHTING, so treat this seriously and buy accordingly.

I use the original Ruger LCP for pocket carry. There are three reasons for using this gun: backup, injury or deep concealment. It's a great backup gun for your primary. I find that when my back is acting up, or I do something silly like accidentally slice open my hand, or due to other injury, the LCP carried in the pocket allows me to remain armed despite the disability. Even better, the DeSantis Super Fly holster is ambidextrous, so you can switch pockets as needed. The reasons for deep concealment are obvious and I won't go into it.

The only LCP available on the roster is the Ruger LCP Max. It's a bit wider, but will still hide well. Get a DeSantis Super Fly holster and cut a 12"x12" rag out of a black t-shirt. Get a spare mag holder; I use one from Remora. Stuff the gun and holster into your pocket. Put the rag into the pocket on the outside of the shield. Poof it around a bit until your pocket looks like it has a blob of stuff in it. The nice thing about the LCP Max is you get 21 rounds with two mags.

The Glock 26 is probably the best small carry gun on the roster right now. Yes, it's better than the SIG P365 and all its flaws. The 26 is super easy to carry, extremely reliable, and is very accurate. G19 and G17 magazines work with it. Acquire a variety of base pads and use XGrips for the longer magazines. I typically carry a Glock 19 mag with XGrip adapter on it on my belt. I recommend that you buy TWO Glock 26's before they are temporarily unavailable due to Excremento's new law. It'll get stayed, but Glock is already ceasing Gen 3's production.

The Glock 43 is not on roster and will cost at least $1,000 for a sub-$400 gun. It is far more snappy than the 26.

The SIG P238 is not that great. You can try it but it'll probably be problematic.

Many people like SIG P365 but it is designed for convenience. I have several. But, I do not carry them. The trigger is too light. On roster P365's come with an inadequate thumb safety. I don't recommend its use and, therefore, do not recommend the gun at all as a viable carry gun for gun fighting. As mentioned, you MUST keep up with the gun's maintenance schedule. Keep a few spare parts (and tools) in your gun bag so you can fix the gun at the range.

If I were you, I'd choose these two guns, with a third for whatever purpose you see fit.

1) Ruger LCP Max
2) Glock 26
3) TBD (probably full size in 45 ACP, 44 Magnum, 357 Magnum or 10mm)

Glock 26 with A&G Grip Adapter for G19 magazine. The XGrips adapter is superior and I have switched to that brand.

IMG_2168.JPG
 
Last edited:
JMO. depends on how you are gonna carry and what "feels" good to you. as you can read through this thread there's a lot of varied opinion.

this is also opinion. if you dont have something that's "convenient" to carry you wont carry--or rather you wont get in the habit/develop the habit of carrying. this is why I personally advocate for the "micros" that are so popular--particularly for people "starting out"

JMO not much difference between the p365, hellcat etc as long as you are matching up barrel lengths and grips. I mostly carry a p365 with the X? grip. the one size up from the "regular" one. it's light, slim and at least for me reliable. I shoot it regularly and take care of it. JMO the safety is fine. and I use "real" manual safeties on all my carries. again. this is a preference/habit.

my personal lineup is p365 when light/slim matters
wilson EDC x9 (non roster) when im wearing a belt and "real" clothes
HK 45c sling/bag gun (also non roster)
 
I have the G26 on my card for EDC carry. The G26 is smaller enough to carry comfortably even with t-shirt, yet it can use G19/G17 magazines (freedom mags if available.)

The G26 grip is a little short for large hands, but like other fellows said the X-Grip with G19 magazine would help.
 
The Ruger LCP Max is a great little pistol I have the off-roster version. The LCP Max is perfect for summertime when I'm wearing shorts without a belt. It even comes with a soft pocket holster when you buy it.

The standard 10rd Sig P365 is ok I have the off-roster version. The P365 is good during the colder time of year when I'm wearing pants with a belt. However, I no longer use the P365 due to having the trigger return spring break on me. So, I no longer trust it with my life. The trigger return spring seems to be a huge weak link with the P365.

I switched from the Sig P365 to FN Reflex MRD during the colder time of year when I'm wearing pants with a belt. The Reflex MRD is a great little pistol I haven't had any issues with mine. But it is off roster.

I use a Galco PH838 Pocket holster for both the P365 & FN Reflex MRD.
I gave up on the 365 after a trigger return spring breaking also.
 

BigBlaze-SKN23 -​

You 2 have had the trigger return spring break why not replace and keep using the P365. You're making me think of replacing it before it happens. The SigGuy has one for around $4.95.

​

I replaced the trigger return spring I think it was $6. But I no longer trust it anymore who knows how long it will last before it breaks again.
So, I put the Sig P365 in the safe where its sitting and collecting dust. And I switched to the FN Reflex MRD it's a great gun and I've never had any issues with it.
 
Carried a P365XL for a while, but I kept pinching the fat of my shooting hand when I would reload because the grip was too short. The P365X-Macro I got to replace it solved that…
 
Back
Top Bottom