By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.
Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.
A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.
New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.
Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!
If you're not going for score, it's not a bad idea to run USPSA/IDPA with your CC setup anyways. Test it in scenarios as close as you will likely get to a real-world scenario.If you are in NorCal , the Richmond Rod and Gun club has a few fun CCW matches a year. It’s not USPSAand it’s not IDPA. It’s a good event to test your EDC set up, your pistol and mag pouch choice and your ability to manipulate under pressure. The first one was eye opening for a lot of folks having zero to do with shooting ability. Some gear touted as good failed under pressure. Some guns which are easy to shoot standing flatfooted and slow firing paper were very difficult to reload quickly , shoot quickly and transition from target to target. The guy who wins most of these shoots a G19 with 407k. Nothing fancy.
I suck but I’ve been training harder with my carry guns. What showed most was the time people put in. The gun didn’t matter as much as the work they put in. Trigger doesn’t really matter if you put in the time.
Some of the guns listed as good in this thread , you never see in these matches. Some of the guns listed here as not so good are shot with success at a very high level.
How much time are you going to put in to actually be able to shoot the gun you carry is also a consideration. If you aren’t going to take classes, train and pressure test your skill set, you may not be best served with a subcompact.
I shot the Golden Bullet (Level 2 match) with a P365XL from AIWB and a single concealed mag pouch. Total dumpster fire but my squad mates didn’t realize what I was shooting until the last stage and gave me props for trying and getting out of my comfort zone . Not bad for what I tried to do After that, I went back to the P-01 for EDC, Steel Challenge and USPSA. Train with what you fight with.If you're not going for score, it's not a bad idea to run USPSA/IDPA with your CC setup anyways. Test it in scenarios as close as you will likely get to a real-world scenario.
Remember, your CCW gun is for GUN FIGHTING. It's not for convenience. This is why I recommend the Glock 26 as the minimum size gun for carry under normal conditions. It's wide enough to solidly grip and managing its recoil is easy.
Joker67 said:
If you are in NorCal , the Richmond Rod and Gun club has a few fun CCW matches a year. It’s not USPSAand it’s not IDPA. It’s a good event to test your EDC set up, your pistol and mag pouch choice and your ability to manipulate under pressure. The first one was eye opening for a lot of folks having zero to do with shooting ability. Some gear touted as good failed under pressure. Some guns which are easy to shoot standing flatfooted and slow firing paper were very difficult to reload quickly , shoot quickly and transition from target to target. The guy who wins most of these shoots a G19 with 407k. Nothing fancy.
Agreed. Pick the smallest gun that you can shoot well. Average self defense distance is 3-7 yards based on a simple google search.Meh. Your CCW is for self-defense. The average person should be carry the smallest gun they can shoot effectively. If the gun does not offer some level of size convenience, then you WILL choose not to put it on for quick trips to the grocery store, taking the dogs for a walk after dinner, whatever. So the likelihood increases that you will not have it when you need it.
That being said, whatever you choose, you need to practice with. A lot. You need to be able to use it to get center mass hits while you are trying not to wet yourself in fear while thinking you may be about to die. Small guns like the M&P Shield, P365, Glock 43 are easy to master with practice. They're 9mm for chrissake, not raging hand cannons. The problem is that your average CCW holder fires maybe 100-200 rounds per year through their carry gun. If that. That's not an adequate amount to gain competency with a tool that you will most likely need to use when instinct is strongly over-riding motor control.
LOL. Those matches crack me up. They are IDPA matches without the fishing vests. But, yes, those along with IDPA matches are great opportunities to test your carry gear.
I kinda regret selling my EMP, much more expensive nowFor plastic the Shield.
For metal the EMP. That's a baby 1911.
I LOVE my 3' EMP. It's my go to carry.For plastic the Shield.
For metal the EMP. That's a baby 1911.
Meh. Your CCW is for self-defense. If the gun does not offer some level of size convenience, then you WILL choose not to put it on for quick trips to the grocery store, taking the dogs for a walk after dinner, whatever. So the likelihood increases that you will not have it when you need it.
The average person should be carry the smallest gun they can shoot effectively.
It always galls me when I hear someone say, “Oh, that weapon is much too heavy to carry.” To this I say, “When you get into a gunfight, you will wish you had the biggest, heaviest, largest bore handgun you could get your hands on.”
Cirillo, Jim. Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights: Lessons and Tales from a Modern-Day Gunfighter (p. 116).
This is mine with a WCXL grip PLUS the Hogue compared to the stock base model grip moduleP365 with a cheap Hogue grip sleeve, for anyone wondering. She's got hips now.
Do you have any anecdotes on gear (brand, type, etc.) that's shown to repeatedly fail or perform as expected?If you are in NorCal , the Richmond Rod and Gun club has a few fun CCW matches a year. It’s not USPSAand it’s not IDPA. It’s a good event to test your EDC set up, your pistol and mag pouch choice and your ability to manipulate under pressure. The first one was eye opening for a lot of folks having zero to do with shooting ability. Some gear touted as good failed under pressure. Some guns which are easy to shoot standing flatfooted and slow firing paper were very difficult to reload quickly , shoot quickly and transition from target to target. The guy who wins most of these shoots a G19 with 407k. Nothing fancy.
I suck but I’ve been training harder with my carry guns. What showed most was the time people put in. The gun didn’t matter as much as the work they put in. Trigger doesn’t really matter if you put in the time.
Some of the guns listed as good in this thread , you never see in these matches. Some of the guns listed here as not so good are shot with success at a very high level.
How much time are you going to put in to actually be able to shoot the gun you carry is also a consideration. If you aren’t going to take classes, train and pressure test your skill set, you may not be best served with a subcompact.
Whoa yours got a BBL. The Shield feels great in the hand and I actually shot better with it than the p365. But like you, I got the Sig before the Shield Plus came out. I may change to the Shield eventually. And is your P365 the CA roster version? I hear those firing pin and spring problems were with early versions. I don't know how prominent it is with more recent ones.This is mine with a WCXL grip PLUS the Hogue compared to the stock base model grip module
Talk about hips
For the OP:
I went down this rabbit hole for a while before I bought my P365. Honestly I'd heard of early versions (well before the CA roster version was released) having firing pins break, but this thread is my first time hearing about trigger return springs breaking... guess YMMV
That said, I still trust mine as my CC, and thousands of others do around the country and the world.
Go to your LGS and handle one, try out every version/grip size you can etc.
As well as other options.
I hear a lot of good about the Hellcat, but I personally didn't care for the shape of the grip (too square on the front strap area for me), but every Sig I've ever handled just felt good.
Unfortunately I got my P365 before the Shield Plus came out, the regular Shield was a VERY close 2nd option but the 8rd capacity killed it for me. Obviously the Shield Plus doesn't have that issues.
Go try some stuff out, rent/shoot them ideally, and see what works for you. Grip, controls, etc.
For EDC/CCW what's most important is not only reliability but also if YOU yourself can operate it reliably on top of that. Whether it's something that'll need training or a mod or two (like for me the XL grip length was non-negotiable, for my hands I just needed that extra length personally).
Whatever you get, TRAIN AND SHOOT.
Best of luck![]()
Welcome to CAguns.net!
Hello There! I see you're browsing as a guest. Sign up to use our regional search features and communicate with other members.
Registering is quick and free. Once registered, you’ll unlock exclusive features available only to members. Join today!
If you choose to become a contributor, you'll get even more advanced features.📸 We're now on Instagram! Follow us @caguns_net and tag us in your videos and photos to get featured!