18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Best Handgun for Elderly New Shooter

Take a survey

Best Handgun for Elderly New Shooter

  • HK VP9

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • S&W M&P 2.0

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Walther PDP

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Something Else

    Votes: 6 42.9%

  • Total voters
    14
I would add some specs to it. Alloy or SS frame for felt recoil, 4" or longer barrel, again recoil. And rubber armored or some soft grip. The G10 grips are great but bite for stability. More things to consider.
 
Beretta PX4. The rotating barrel really cuts down on felt recoil.
DA/SA? I'll let her try one of my hammer-fireds, but I expect she'll be partial to the consistency of strikers. I'm also conscious of a frame safety.

If you are sticking with 9. All those listed are an excellent options. Something to consider, I have heard FN's 9 lineup is very good.

A geriatric female is a viable .380 scenario too without knowing many personal specifics.
I'll have to look into FN. Similar reliability/low maintenance?
 
Having taken quite a few female new shooters to the range I have yet to find one that didn't prefer a full size 9mm simply because the recoil is softer. Most if not all of these guns listed have options to make the grip smaller, unless a persons hands are truly abnormally tiny there shouldn't be any issue with any of these full size pistols for a woman.
 
I agree with the PDP. However: first gun, older woman, maybe some hand weakness or arthritis… I’d go with the sig 365-380. Larger than most 380s. Very smooth shooting. Easy to rack. Optic ready
 
Some of those guns are big, far bigger than a regular sized woman can handle comfortably. And unless your certain this chick digs getting knocked around, don't start her off with a 9mm. 22's are fun and the least intimidating caliber. .32 and .380 are also sensible for a petite shooter. Don't get a gun that's too small, as that will tend to kick harder. Too big of a gun is hard to hold steady. I don't have a P365 in .380, but something in that ballpark seems sensible.
I really like the idea of a 22 for early fundamental training, but as something she can rely on for home defense (which I should have said earlier, that will be the main function), 22 is a bit lacking.
 
DA/SA? I'll let her try one of my hammer-fireds, but I expect she'll be partial to the consistency of strikers. I'm also conscious of a frame safety.


I'll have to look into FN. Similar reliability/low maintenance?

I’d suggest a PX4 Type C if you can find one. One trigger pull kind of like an HK LEM. I have one in .40 and really like it. FN makes a good product too but I don’t think any of them are on the unconstitutional “roster.”
 
If you're not decided on 9mm, I'd recommend the Girsan MC14T which is in .380.
Tip up barrel, so no slide racking needed.
It's double action on first shot, so maybe less intimidating for new gun owner.
 
The P238 is not a bad option especially with 7 round pinky magazines. Alot easier than most polymers and has a safety.
 
I'll have to look into FN. Similar reliability/low maintenance?
I have only heard great things about FN and their 9s. I'd be willing to bet FN's 9s have exceptional reliability and a low maintenance requirement. Unfortunately, I don't have actual experience with them yet. *Manifesting sugar momma*

I have the FNX in 45 and feels and shoots amazing for me. I am interested to see what FN could do with 9s based on my experience with the FNX.
 
A few of the recommendations are for micros. I updated the post to show the purpose is for home defense. Compact/Full Size grips will be far easier to control, with no need to consider concealability.
 
I’d suggest a PX4 Type C if you can find one. One trigger pull kind of like an HK LEM. I have one in .40 and really like it. FN makes a good product too but I don’t think any of them are on the unconstitutional “roster.”
Too interested to help after too many drinks. Mr. Matt is correct. FN is roster F'ed
 
I cant imaging many older women racking slides and filling magazines for long.
Without knowing the individual I would prescribe a Smith & Wesson Model 31-1 revolver in .32 S&W Long chambering. Ammo takes a bit of looking but decent SD loads are out there and a couple boxes would probably set her for life.
Easy to load and check if its loaded, double action pull prevents UD in stressful situations, easily cocked if desired, easy to show safe by just opening the cylinder. No feeding issues, no safeties, no magazines to get lost or wear out. Lots of grip options too. Did I mention I like revolvers?
 
Last edited:
I’d suggest a PX4 Type C if you can find one. One trigger pull kind of like an HK LEM. I have one in .40 and really like it. FN makes a good product too but I don’t think any of them are on the unconstitutional “roster.”

Too interested to help after too many drinks. Mr. Matt is correct. FN is roster F'ed
All good guys...Roster is not a concern. Taking all recs.
 
A few of the recommendations are for micros. I updated the post to show the purpose is for home defense. Compact/Full Size grips will be far easier to control, with no need to consider concealability.
In that case the M&P shield EZ is the way to go.
 
Back
Top Bottom