18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Poll Best Handgun for Elderly New Shooter

Take a survey

Best Handgun for Elderly New Shooter

  • HK VP9

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • S&W M&P 2.0

    Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Walther PDP

    Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Something Else

    Votes: 19 50.0%

  • Total voters
    38
Thanks, learned something new today
OK after looking into it the 380 still has less muzzle energy than the lightest 9mm factory loads, you would have to replace the recoil spring on your 9mm to get much lower. But even when you look at the defensive loads the data is pretty bad, it seems to either expand or penetrate and many of the "defensive" loads tested didn't work at all. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

But even the Hornady 100 grain "lite" which is one of the mega light 9mm defensive loads is only 112 power factor which is ridiculously light. Ive loaded 9mm that light on accident and it's ridiculously soft.
 
The standard metal m&p is aluminum and not heavier than the polymer and arguably has more recoil "feel" than the polymer.
Thanks for pointing it out.

The metal version is ~2-3oz heavier so I wanted to let OP know in case he wasn’t aware of its existence.

Sure it’s not a Beretta 92FS, but I thought the added weight would make a sensible difference.

However I have only had both variants of the M&P in hand but have not shot them. I made assumptions based only on handling not shooting so your experience is probably more valuable if you have.

I guess the bottom line for OP is: rent a bunch and shoot them.
 
OK after looking into it the 380 still has less muzzle energy than the lightest 9mm factory loads, you would have to replace the recoil spring on your 9mm to get much lower. But even when you look at the defensive loads the data is pretty bad, it seems to either expand or penetrate and many of the "defensive" loads tested didn't work at all. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

But even the Hornady 100 grain "lite" which is one of the mega light 9mm defensive loads is only 112 power factor which is ridiculously light. Ive loaded 9mm that light on accident and it's ridiculously soft.
yeah .380 sucks compared to 9mm
 
Thanks for pointing it out.

The metal version is ~2-3oz heavier so I wanted to let OP know in case he wasn’t aware of its existence.

Sure it’s not a Beretta 92FS, but I thought the added weight would make a sensible difference.

However I have only had both variants of the M&P in hand but have not shot them. I made assumptions based only on handling not shooting so your experience is probably more valuable if you have.

I guess the bottom line for OP is: rent a bunch and shoot them.
I only shot the metal once but I have several polymer versions and it's nice but I think they are basically just very similar in recoil, the 2 oz is negated by the aluminum transferring more of the "feel" of the recoil so it's kind of just a toss up with a surprising number of people even saying the polymer is softer. The 5" slide makes a big difference though that thing is magic.
 
Older lady shooting indoors, no ear pro, maybe in the dark?

Lightweight, high capacity 22lr revolver.

Smith 617 or 43C if she wants to lose the hammer. Trigger is pretty heavy DAO out of the box.

Not enough stopping power? Eh, when a little old lady starts blasting at you in an enclosed space I don’t think dudes are doing the math on whether they can take a couple of rounds to the chest.

Why a revolver over semi automatic? No safety, no slide, no jamming, just BLAMing.
 
Older lady shooting indoors, no ear pro, maybe in the dark?

Lightweight, high capacity 22lr revolver.

Smith 617 or 43C if she wants to lose the hammer. Trigger is pretty heavy DAO out of the box.

Not enough stopping power? Eh, when a little old lady starts blasting at you in an enclosed space I don’t think dudes are doing the math on whether they can take a couple of rounds to the chest.

Why a revolver over semi automatic? No safety, no slide, no jamming, just BLAMing.

I don't know why people are so loathe to recommend .22's, but old people are great at keeping things clean and tinkering with widgets which is sort of the primary reason not to recommend a .22.

I vote .22.
 
OK after looking into it the 380 still has less muzzle energy than the lightest 9mm factory loads, you would have to replace the recoil spring on your 9mm to get much lower. But even when you look at the defensive loads the data is pretty bad, it seems to either expand or penetrate and many of the "defensive" loads tested didn't work at all. https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

But even the Hornady 100 grain "lite" which is one of the mega light 9mm defensive loads is only 112 power factor which is ridiculously light. Ive loaded 9mm that light on accident and it's ridiculously soft.
wow! Really cool data with photos. Look how many of the hollowpoints didn't expand at all. I didn't know 380 sucked that much
 
Older lady shooting indoors, no ear pro, maybe in the dark?

Lightweight, high capacity 22lr revolver.

Smith 617 or 43C if she wants to lose the hammer. Trigger is pretty heavy DAO out of the box.

Not enough stopping power? Eh, when a little old lady starts blasting at you in an enclosed space I don’t think dudes are doing the math on whether they can take a couple of rounds to the chest.

Why a revolver over semi automatic? No safety, no slide, no jamming, just BLAMing.
Agreed this is a situation where a revolver makes sense. Easy to shoot and goes bang no slide racking. Realistically she will shoot the gun, maybe do one class and never shoot it again.
 
wow! Really cool data with photos. Look how many of the hollowpoints didn't expand at all. I didn't know 380 sucked that much
it's pretty bad, I can see making an argument for a ccw when you are wearing a bikini or something if you need it that small but there's no reason to use it in a home defense gun. With 380 this bad I would literally rather use a tazer than 22lr. I honestly think it's offensive to assume a person is so inept and weak as to need 22lr.
 
it's pretty bad, I can see making an argument for a ccw when you are wearing a bikini or something if you need it that small but there's no reason to use it in a home defense gun. With 380 this bad I would literally rather use a tazer than 22lr. I honestly think it's offensive to assume a person is so inept and weak as to need 22lr.
Yeah a .38spl revolver would be better. .22lr is for squirrels. Very offensive to suggest to use that because you're an invalid lol
 
Yeah a .38spl revolver would be better. .22lr is for squirrels. Very offensive to suggest to use that because you're an invalid lol

I always just imagine what it would feel like to get hit with .22lr in the face vs .380 and I honestly don't ever come to the conclusion I'd be stoked about either :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom