18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Cheapest way to get ammo

I always buy in Parker Arizona when I visit and buy bulk from the ammo shop in town. $15 per 9mm box and he can order you anything you need at the cheapest prices I’ve seen. Get out of CA and the ammo prices are significantly cheaper. Make a vacation out of it.
Be careful with that…
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9186.webp
    IMG_9186.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 32
If you have an ffl03/COE you can transport ammo into CA, but if you have an ffl03 you may as well just order online instead of making a road trip.
No doubt. For what is worth, I’ve personally seen targeted enforcement just outside of Yuma. They were pulling over gun store patrons who left the shop and then headed directly to the CA state line. Definitely some kind of sting operation.
 
The California extra tax thing applies to ammo too???
Yes. 11 percent on top of local sales tax. Haven’t you noticed all the improvements in the state yet? They’ve been gouging us with this excise tax for a couple years now. Has the gun violence in this state decreased yet? Do all the homeless have houses yet? Are we now number one in education in country now? Oh well, I digress.
 
Last edited:
If you have an ffl03/COE you can transport ammo into CA, but if you have an ffl03 you may as well just order online instead of making a road trip.
This. The main advantage of making this trip as an FFL03/COE holder is price, presumably. May as well order from a good online retailer and save time, which saves money.
 
Yes. 11 percent on top of local sales tax. Haven’t you noticed all the improvements in the state yet? They’ve been gouging us with this excise tax for a couple years now. Are the streets paid with gold yet? Do all the homeless have houses yet? Are we now number one in education in country? Oh well, I digress.
I havent bought ammo since the background check thing came out. I didn't know this, i thought it was only on gun purchases
 
FYI, I knew someone who got a great deal on ammo. Turned out it was a name brand ammo that was designated for export from USA and some company reimported it. During a class one round exploded and destroyed his AR. The brand name did the right thing and paid him for his damaged AR. His hand really stung but no injury. I only point this out as it really scared me. As such, I’m careful when it comes to good deals.
 
Hey I was just wondering what places sell the cheapest ammo or if there is a way to get cheap ammo. Let me know the tips and tricks!
Get an FFL03, get a California COE, and get a Target Sports Membership.

FFL03 is cheap. I want to say $30, and is good for 3 years. The COE is something like $74 for the first year, and $20 some on renewal. The Target Sports membership is $99 for a year.

You're probably thinking you wanted to save money, right? Like how does spending $200 up front save you money? Well, buy 1000 rounds for ~$200, and have it shipped straight to your house for free, and it'll make way more sense.

Edit - Wanted to clarify. If you get an FFL03 and COE, you no longer need to have your ammo sent to a traditional FFL. So no middleman costs, and no additional sin tax.
 
Know someone out of state. That person visits but ammo somehow fell off the trunk of their car as they left your place.

That same friend just happened to look on floorboard and realized the wind must have blown someone’s cash into their car. 🤣
 
I always buy in Parker Arizona when I visit and buy bulk from the ammo shop in town. $15 per 9mm box and he can order you anything you need at the cheapest prices I’ve seen. Get out of CA and the ammo prices are significantly cheaper. Make a vacation out of it.
My local ace hardware is 11 per box of 9mm. Parker can be pricey some shops in Havasu can be a better bargain.

But if anyone into baseball that go to spring training there’s a place in Glendale az that sells 9mm for 215 per case and another in Tempe that is a little more.

There’s a place in quartzite that advertises mags and ammo but they get the travelers that get a woody when they see freedom. But place just about has a mag for every gun too.
 
Be careful with that…
Cause the receipts state which lot number you bought from the boxes? This is virtually unprovable, unless you buy and directly leave the store to cross a boarder. I have a house in AZ and when I stay I shoot and sometimes return with the ammo I brought from California 😜
 
For those in SD, the monthly sales flyer that DGM posts at the start of each month almost always has a $12 / 50rd special for 9mm brass ammo, with an option to knock it down to $11.50 if you buy 20 boxes. Most of the time it’s decent quality ammo such as Blazer / Fiocchi / Magtech brass, sometimes you find gems like S&B. CA sales and sin taxes are of course applied on top of this, but you can buy online, pick up at your convenience, and it beats risking the occasional sting op at Yuma if you are coming from that direction anyway…
 
Last edited:
No doubt. For what is worth, I’ve personally seen targeted enforcement just outside of Yuma. They were pulling over gun store patrons who left the shop and then headed directly to the CA state line. Definitely some kind of sting operation.
Who was running this “sting”?
Arizona? Why would they care if Californians are bringing ammo back to California?
California? What were they doing running “sting operations” outside of their jurisdiction?
The Feds? What federal laws were they enforcing?
Inquiring minds want to know . . .
 
Who was running this “sting”?
Arizona? Why would they care if Californians are bringing ammo back to California?
California? What were they doing running “sting operations” outside of their jurisdiction?
The Feds? What federal laws were they enforcing?
Inquiring minds want to know . . .
From what I was “told” is that it is agents from California Department of Justice (DOJ) along with the CHP, In conjunction with the ATF. Apparently the ATF is on the Arizona side, in communications with agents and the CHP on the California side. This was direct from a friend of mine who was “involved “. Don’t ask any further questions… Its pretty cut and dry that’s is against the law. Some of the local gun stores in Yuma have become wise and know all about this. From time to time they will inform customers when they see what they think is a sting operation about to go down. I’m sure this isn’t happening every day, but it does happen. Risk it or not, it’s not worth saving a few bucks on ammo, IMHO.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0333.webp
    IMG_0333.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
From what I was “told” is that it is agents from California Department of Justice (DOJ) along with the CHP, In conjunction with the ATF. Apparently the ATF is on the Arizona side, in communications with agents and the CHP on the California side. This was direct from a friend of mine who was “involved “. Don’t ask any further questions… Its pretty cut and dry that’s is against the law. Some of the local gun stores in Yuma have become wise and know all about this. From time to time they will inform customers when they see what they think is a sting operation about to go down. I’m sure this isn’t happening every day, but it does happen. Risk it or not, it’s not worth saving a few bucks on ammo, IMHO.
Wow, I had no idea all those agencies were interested in making misdemeanor arrests that could end up being charged as infractions. Did you hear this at a poker game?
 
Wow, I had no idea all those agencies were interested in making misdemeanor arrests that could end up being charged as infractions. Did you hear this at a poker game?
You sound skeptical. Only telling you my inside knowledge, otherwise I’ve got no skin in the game. Go take a flat bed over to AZ and bring back pallets full. Shouldn’t be a problem. Anymore info, I plead the 5th.
 
It’s not just ammo trafficking that’s under surveillance, it’s also firearm trafficking. A quick Google search should change your skepticism real quick. But hey, I just making it all up. Ignorance is not an excuse.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom