18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Cheapest way to get ammo

You can sell ammo but it's not a perk of the ffl03/COE, it's just like any other private transaction of 500 rounds/month limit through an FFL as the seller. No limit on how much you can buy via ppt as a buyer.
Apparently it's legal to gift it to a friend as long as the friend is not a prohibited person.

From a web search,

"Yes, you can legally share or gift ammunition to a friend in California in person, but you cannot sell it to them without going through a licensed dealer. Ammunition transfers between friends must be a gift, and you must have no reason to believe the recipient is prohibited from possessing ammunition."
 
Apparently it's legal to gift it to a friend as long as the friend is not a prohibited person.

From a web search,

"Yes, you can legally share or gift ammunition to a friend in California in person, but you cannot sell it to them without going through a licensed dealer. Ammunition transfers between friends must be a gift, and you must have no reason to believe the recipient is prohibited from possessing ammunition."
From my understanding you can only gift ammo to immediate family members.

"While most ammo sales or transfers must go through a licensed vendor, immediate family members can gift ammo to each other without this step. This means ammunition can be directly gifted to immediate family members without the need for an ammunition vendor. Immediate family members include:
  • spouses,
  • registered domestic partners,
  • parents,
  • children,
  • grandparents, or
  • grandchildren
However, it's essential to ensure that the recipient can legally have ammunition. Moreover, the ammo gifted must be legal within California.

California Ammo Laws: Penal Code 30312(c), 16720."​

 
I was told to mind my own business when I told someone what they were posting on here was illegal in another thread lol.

I guess the consensus on this forum by it's members is to just let people post about their illegal activities. Not the smartest but hey, any misfortune is their own doing.

People are going to post what they want, only way to stop that is to delete their posts. Also, keep in mind there are a lot of younger and or less than brilliant people here who take advice as criticism when your intention is to help them pull their biscuits out of the oven before they burn.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of very bright, knowledgeable people here who are open to learning new things. Don't give up if you run into a dense butthead or two, you made an attempt to help, they rejected it, move on to a more intelligent person.
 
From my understanding you can only gift ammo to immediate family members.

"While most ammo sales or transfers must go through a licensed vendor, immediate family members can gift ammo to each other without this step. This means ammunition can be directly gifted to immediate family members without the need for an ammunition vendor. Immediate family members include:
  • spouses,
  • registered domestic partners,
  • parents,
  • children,
  • grandparents, or
  • grandchildren
However, it's essential to ensure that the recipient can legally have ammunition. Moreover, the ammo gifted must be legal within California.

California Ammo Laws: Penal Code 30312(c), 16720."​

Gifting is separate from sales, and I believe friends are included if they aren't prohibited. Would like to see the letter of the law on this.
 
People are going to post what they want, only way to stop that is to delete their posts. Also, keep in mind there are a lot of younger and or less than brilliant people here who take advice as criticism when your intention is to help them pull their biscuits out of the oven before they burn.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of very bright, knowledgeable people here who are open to learning new things. Don't give up if you run into a dense butthead or two, you made an attempt to help,

If they are friends, what are the odds that they would turn around and report you to the authorities for the gift? If it’s even a question, you need better friends.
If it's legal to gift ammo to friends then there's nothing to report.
 
When I said pallets of ammo, I was being facetious towards Hit Factor. In Penal Code 30314, nowhere does it say you’re exempt from the law based on the quantity you bring in. This is the law. For the skeptics, go ahead and call popular gun stores in Yuma. See what they tell you about this. I’m not arguing with you, I’m only trying to give you the facts. If you chose to ignore the law, that’s on you. But I can tell you, this has happened. And most gun enthusiast here in San Diego know about it. And FYI, “bringing in two cases of 9mm” is trafficking. First violation is a $250 fine, second violation is $1000 fine or six months in jail. Again, not worth saving $40 on a case of ammo. If this wasn’t an issue, every swinging Richard here in San Diego would be making runs to Yuma to buy ammo. Odds of getting caught, slim. But I wouldn’t risk it. AGAIN, THIS IS THE LAW. NO POINT IN ARGUING WITH ME. I DIDN’T WRITE THE LAW. TAKE IT UP WITH YOUR LOCAL CONGRESSMAN.

California Penal Code 30314 prohibits residents from bringing or transporting ammunition obtained outside California into the state unless it is first delivered to a licensed vendor for processing. This regulation, effective January 1, 2018, requires out-of-state purchases to go through authorized, face-to-face dealer transfers. A first violation is generally an infraction (up to $250 fine), while subsequent offenses can be
  • Penalties: A first violation is an infraction (fine < $250). A second violation may be charged as a misdemeanor (up to 6 months in jail and/or $1,000
You’re incorrect but what would a 2a attorney know 🤷🏽‍♂️ maybe talk to Attorneys and not your buddy at the Yumagun shop and get your info. Trafficking pertains to commercial selling.
 
Even as an FFL03/COE holder I can't legally sell ammo.
You are correct you can’t sell. People wanted a cheap way to get ammo and nothing prevents you for personally buying and utilizing the ammo purchased for personal utilization though. Even if you buy out of state. Like I’ve told others, talk with an attorney not skeptics online trying to interpret laws they dont fully understand
 
You’re incorrect but what would a 2a attorney know 🤷🏽‍♂️ maybe talk to Attorneys and not your buddy at the Yumagun shop and get your info. Trafficking pertains to commercial selling.

I’m not too sure where you studied law, but here is some legalease for you:
"Trafficking" in the context of ammunition inherently involves some form of illegal movement, transfer, or acquisition, which is generally a serious offense under federal and state law, regardless of the person's specific intent to "distribute" it commercially. The law focuses more on the unlawful nature of the activity e.g., crossing state lines without proper authorization.

I like how you assume that I’ve received this information from a buddy at a Yuma gun shop. Buy hey, you do you. If you feel that the law is wrong or unfair, I’m not the person you should be arguing with about this. Your efforts are better spent elsewhere. Run for office, make a difference!
 
Last edited:
I’m not too sure where you studied law, but here is some legalease for you:
"Trafficking" in the context of ammunition inherently involves some form of illegal movement, transfer, or acquisition, which is generally a serious offense under federal and state law, regardless of the person's specific intent to "distribute" it commercially. The law focuses more on the unlawful nature of the activity e.g., crossing state lines without proper authorization.

I like how you assume that I’ve received this information from a buddy at a Yuma gun shop. Buy hey, you do you. If you feel that the law is wrong or unfair, I’m not the person you should be arguing with about this. Your efforts are better spent elsewhere. Run for office, make a difference!
Get off chat gbt 😆😆
 
People are going to post what they want, only way to stop that is to delete their posts. Also, keep in mind there are a lot of younger and or less than brilliant people here who take advice as criticism when your intention is to help them pull their biscuits out of the oven before they burn.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of very bright, knowledgeable people here who are open to learning new things. Don't give up if you run into a dense butthead or two, you made an attempt to help, they rejected it, move on to a more intelligent person.
To be fair the person it was directed to was receptive to the feedback. It was actually others that dog piled on me for clarifying a commonly misused generalization which in that particular case resulted in the person admitting to illegal activity on here.
 
Even as an FFL03/COE holder I can't legally sell ammo.

Like I posted in another thread, I haven't bought or sold ammo in CA in at least 4 or 5 years. Isn't the correct way to sell now is you have to meet the buyer at an FFL and conduct the private party transfer through them, essentially just like we have done for years on guns? Buyer inspects ammo and if it's good, pays seller and both walk into gun store with ammo where it stays with FFL until buyers background check goes through. Count be 5 minutes, or could be 5 days.

Is that still accurate or am I just taking all my spare ammo with me when I leave CA in a few months?
 
Gotta factor in sunk costs for equipment, consumables, and your labor time to reload, plus the space it takes up in your home.

I can imagine that people probably enjoy this process and it's probably efficient once everything is in-place and working.

This does create some extra work at the range to retrieve and transport your shells too, with some extra lead exposure from handling and transporting spent shells.
I reload too and brass is easy. Range I go to most dont reload so first fired is easy to get.

I also have a lot of brass from 20 years ago I am still using had a bucket full easily and I load it fire it goes into another bucket to keep it organized.

I use to save a lot back in the day but 08 it started creeping up fast and today some prices are insane especially powder. Primers and bullets have dropped powder gone up. I load for 223,10mm,.45 and 300wm.

.45 I use a Dillion sdb makes it easy the rest rcbs single stage. I shoot 9mm more these days vs 45 but I find it cheaper to buy as local place I paid 215 otd with tax locally per 1k. If I buy the conversion for sdb and what I need it may take years to recoup. I shoot about 700- 800 rounds from oct to may in 9mm. But already shot atleast 1200 of 223 so far this year. Thanks to FRT on 2 ars 🤣
 
Like I posted in another thread, I haven't bought or sold ammo in CA in at least 4 or 5 years. Isn't the correct way to sell now is you have to meet the buyer at an FFL and conduct the private party transfer through them, essentially just like we have done for years on guns? Buyer inspects ammo and if it's good, pays seller and both walk into gun store with ammo where it stays with FFL until buyers background check goes through. Count be 5 minutes, or could be 5 days.

Is that still accurate or am I just taking all my spare ammo with me when I leave CA in a few months?
One can sell ammo via FFL PPT, but from what I'm reading online it's also legal to gift ammo to a friend as long as they're not believed to be a prohibited person. I would like to see the letter of the law on this though.
 
To be fair the person it was directed to was receptive to the feedback. It was actually others that dog piled on me for clarifying a commonly misused generalization which in that particular case resulted in the person admitting to illegal activity on here.
My comment / advice still applies, in full.
 
My comment / advice still applies, in full.
Totally agree let’s just censor anything we don’t like or agree with and just limit the expansion of our growth potential. Let’s advocate for the constitutional right to bear arms while simultaneously censoring free speech. Awesome idea!!
 
Totally agree let’s just censor anything we don’t like or agree with and just limit the expansion of our growth potential. Let’s advocate for the constitutional right to bear arms while simultaneously censoring free speech. Awesome idea!!
If you don't understand how conversation threads work on this website, just ask and I will explain it to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom