18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Considering moving from California to a Free State. Looking for advice, ideas, books, websites.

Which creates a screwed up market where boomers and Gen X got cheap houses and pay little tax on their super expensive houses while younger generations have to then pay the huge sale price and full property tax.
You're right, it's way tougher for the younger gen. I feel for ya. Boomers had it the easiest. I'm lucky I got into tech early and developed a skill I can sell anywhere in the world from home, all without a college degree. I knew none of this coming up, but it worked out that way. Who knew we'd have a worldwide pandemic? That didn't help either.
 
You're right, it's way tougher for the younger gen. I feel for ya. Boomers had it the easiest. I'm lucky I got into tech early and developed a skill I can sell anywhere in the world from home, all without a college degree. I knew none of this coming up, but it worked out that way. Who knew we'd have a worldwide pandemic? That didn't help either.
At least you guys made the biggest MMO ever... before it was turned gay lol
 
I'm definitely more conservative (not far right, not religious right) but I imagine Oregon swarming with zany 🍌s and Marxists. I know this is an exaggeration. Also, when I searched for "Constitutional Carry States", OR wasn't listed. I don't imagine any 2A freedom in OR would last very long given how blue of a state it is, though I know it's not all blue. From my searches, OR is similar to CA with its gun laws or is heading that direction;

"Measure 114 Status: Ballot Measure 114—which seeks to require a permit-to-purchase, safety training, fingerprinting, and a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds—has faced ongoing legal battles and court stays, with implementation timelines pushed toward 2028 or pending high court reviews"

This part is good though;

"Open Carry: Open carry is generally legal statewide for individuals 18 and older, though Portland and several other local jurisdictions prohibit carrying a loaded open-carry firearm without a valid CHL."
Oregon is better than CA for gun laws but not way better and they just passed a magazine ban. Oregon has been cooked for a while. Kind of the same story, all the rural populations in Oregon dominated by 🥔 like control from the big city center
 
Sorry, I meant Homeowner's Insurance. I'll fix my original comment. This went WAY up due to the incompetence of Karen Bass and her empty reservoirs during the Palisades Fires, which were more out of control than they needed to be as a result. Plus we had some insane arsonists adding to the chaos.

Spencer Pratt got pushed off the mayoral ballot somehow and I heavily suspect shenanigans there. Bass was even warned by the L.A. Fire Chief that those reservoirs needed light repairs (where applicable) and that they needed to be filled.

I see this mess as an extension of Newsom's gross incompetence and lamentable politics, and it's so bad it's criminal (in my view). It's the chaos of woke DEI ineptitude that CA voters keep voting for over and over, assuming no ballot stuffing/cheating which is probably happening too.

The whole thing gave me a bad taste in my mouth and made me yearn for non-DEI conservative leadership. I don't agree with conservatives on everything but we need people in charge who aren't grossly and dare I say, criminally negligent.
When you say non-DEI conservative leadership surely you don't mean MAGA leadership right? Because Spencer Pratt, Hegseth, Kash Patel, and the other contemporary conservative heavy hitters don't strike me as the most qualified. Non-DEI conservative leadership died in 2016.
 
Oregon is better than CA for gun laws but not way better and they just passed a magazine ban. Oregon has been cooked for a while. Kind of the same story, all the rural populations in Oregon dominated by 🥔 like control from the big city center
Yes, I don't think OR can remain "free" for very much longer given the deep blue population, with Portland as the Zerg Nest.
 
When you say non-DEI conservative leadership surely you don't mean MAGA leadership right? Because Spencer Pratt, Hegseth, Kash Patel, and the other contemporary conservative heavy hitters don't strike me as the most qualified. Non-DEI conservative leadership died in 2016.
Pratt has a clear-eyed view of causality relating to the Palisades Fires (and other issues) that we would never hear in a million years from Karen Bass, who can't seem to stay inside U.S. borders or concoct a direct and honest mea culpa for her obvious and predictable mistakes, which she was warned about long before those mistakes really mattered.

And this is me, the atheist, praising Pratt's ideas regardless of his religious ideation. Merit counts.
 
Last edited:
When you say non-DEI conservative leadership surely you don't mean MAGA leadership right? Because Spencer Pratt, Hegseth, Kash Patel, and the other contemporary conservative heavy hitters don't strike me as the most qualified. Non-DEI conservative leadership died in 2016.
What is MAGA
 
Pratt has a clear-eyed view of causality relating to the Palisades Fires (and other issues) that we would never hear in a million years from Karen Bass, who can't seem to stay inside U.S. borders or concoct a direct and honest mea culpa for her obvious and predictable mistakes, which she was warned about long before those mistakes really mattered.

And this is me, the atheist, praising Pratt's ideas regardless of his religious ideation. Merit counts.
Yes and I would be an amazing political strategist from my armchair. That doesn't mean I'm qualified to be an actual political strategist / consultant. Likewise Pratt does not strike me as qualified to be mayor simply because he can infer causality in hindsight.

If anything, the last conservative-leaning candidate who was actually qualified was Caruso. Unfortunately he lost to Bass. But his resume / achievements would strike me as a merit-based pick.
 
Yes and I would be an amazing political strategist from my armchair. That doesn't mean I'm qualified to be an actual political strategist / consultant. Likewise Pratt does not strike me as qualified to be mayor simply because he can infer causality in hindsight.

If anything, the last conservative-leaning candidate who was actually qualified was Caruso. Unfortunately he lost to Bass. But his resume / achievements would strike me as a merit-based pick.
Wait how is Bass qualified? She seems retarded lmao
 
Yes and I would be an amazing political strategist from my armchair. That doesn't mean I'm qualified to be an actual political strategist / consultant. Likewise Pratt does not strike me as qualified to be mayor simply because he can infer causality in hindsight.

If anything, the last conservative-leaning candidate who was actually qualified was Caruso. Unfortunately he lost to Bass. But his resume / achievements would strike me as a merit-based pick.

I'm simply going on first principles, what I've heard him say directly. I make no claim to be a strategist—I'm simply giving my point of view.

Bass doesn't have any clarity of thought even in *hindsight*, which should be easymode for an elegant attempt at a mea culpa. We get zero of that from Bass.

She could say a lot to reduce her perceived and demonstrated apathy and negligence, but she continues to be silent. Her history is pretty checkered too with her ties to Cuba and apparent appreciation for Fidel Castro.

"2016 Fidel Castro Controversy
    • The Statement: Following the death of Cuban leader Fidel Castro in 2016, Bass issued a statement referring to him as comandante en jefe (commander in chief) and calling his passing a "great loss to the people of Cuba".
    • The Backlash: The remarks drew heavy criticism from Republican lawmakers and Florida-based Cuban exiles, who viewed the phrasing as sympathetic to a brutal dictator."
 
Last edited:
Assuming you're not kidding, it's just Trump's slogan, "Make America Great Again", where MAGA is used as now shorthand for Trump-supporters.
I was curious about the definition he would give because on FB and social media it seems to be basically a catch all term for anyone they disagree with. I've seen many people called MAGA that don't even like Trump, or they're centrist or left wing but they made a good point the person didn't like and they start screaming about MAGA and Trump. Often on unrelated topics that have nothing to do with the president. It's honestly bizarre, and I usually get no real definition given when asked how they define "a MAGA" ... they use it as a noun instead of a slogan
 
Hickock45, Honest Outlaw, and other GunTubers got me thinking about my bucket list and "next home" goals, and I really want my own plinking range on my own land. That's the final boss of real-estate acquisition as I see it. I want to be able to step outside my front door knowing that I have a few acres (maybe 10 or so) to myself. Then, it becomes an art project. Plinking range, observatory, planters for the girlfriend to tend, maybe some fruiting trees, etc.
I didn’t appreciate how awesome it is to have your own home range until I got mine (this is in SoCal). So far, I can get to 100m and with some finessing I can get to 200m or so.

Simply great to be able to shoot where you live. When it’s lunch time, you just leave your stuff and head up to the house.

And having acerage is great, too (as long as you have the resources to tend to it, haha!!). We’ve got well over 100 trees of various types across eight acres. We’re way up on a hill with nearly 360 degree views. Helps to be on a well!! Irrigating eight acres would get expensive on district water!!

Good luck in your search!! It’s worth it to get to an area with some elbow room.
 
Im surprised that Idaho isn't on your short list. Boise got a little more expensive during the pandemic moves, but not Austin expensive. HP and Micron have major presence in there so it has structure, but largely a college town. 4 seasons, lower cost of everything, no bugs. Free state.
I plan to take the wife there next year and make a full-court press on moving after. She reportedly "loves" it here in this marxist 💩hole, for reasons she can't articulate. I hate this state (and everything about it) with a fiery passion, so much so the thought of living out my days here make me physically ill.

Anyone with practical advice (no religion, please. Another staunch atheist here) about areas and even other regions would be appreciated. It can't be too cold or snowy due to wife's health. So I'm probably limited to the southern portion of the state. Can't be too hot or humid either, because that's a part of why I'm leaving this F-ing dumpster fire of a state.

Many thanks
 
For edification, I'm medically retired so finding work isn't a concern. Taxes, stable utilites, and availability of good medical care are.
 
Back
Top Bottom