- Messages
- 5,615
I agree with the el dorado county property so I can shoot on your range
By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.
Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.
This was what my wife and I did as well. We looked OoS then found what we were looking for right here in SoCal.Don't bail on california unless you have to. Find a rural community that shares your same values and embrace all the things you're looking for. That's what my wife and I did and we love it. Went from oc in socal the western rural foothills in eldorado county and it's great. Sure you can't open carry but getting ccw through eldorado county is pretty seamless. Got 18 acres with newish built house (2017) and adu that my dad lives in for well under a mill. All four seasons, no humidity in the summer. Have a range on the back half of my property and I go shoot whenever I want. Sure it's still california, but it's easy to forget it is unless you go to sacramento where you're quickly reminded. Not gonna lie, we've wanted to make the move but there are few places in the world that have the weather and beauty we have. Plus we need to good principled people to stay in Cali to try and keep it somewhat balanced. Just gtfo of LA County whatever you do.
where in eldorado county?Don't bail on california unless you have to. Find a rural community that shares your same values and embrace all the things you're looking for. That's what my wife and I did and we love it. Went from oc in socal the western rural foothills in eldorado county and it's great. Sure you can't open carry but getting ccw through eldorado county is pretty seamless. Got 18 acres with newish built house (2017) and adu that my dad lives in for well under a mill. All four seasons, no humidity in the summer. Have a range on the back half of my property and I go shoot whenever I want. Sure it's still california, but it's easy to forget it is unless you go to sacramento where you're quickly reminded. Not gonna lie, we've wanted to make the move but there are few places in the world that have the weather and beauty we have. Plus we need to good principled people to stay in Cali to try and keep it somewhat balanced. Just gtfo of LA County whatever you do.
Shush! Just saw on Reddit deal for SP-01 for $500!![]()
Sounds great. What area are you in?This was what my wife and I did as well. We looked OoS then found what we were looking for right here in SoCal.
We’re rural yet close to anything we need, including excellent healthcare. And rural in SoCal doesn’t mean dried-out and brown. The hills stay green year-round, and of course there are all the groves that are irrigated and look beautiful. The ocean influence keeps the weather cool and mild most of the year.
Friends that come to visit always say the same thing when they first get here: ‘I can’t believe this is still California’.
We’re zoned light agriculture, with no lots smaller than 4 acres, no multi-unit, no mobile homes, no retail, no large commercial operations. Also, no mass transit in this area. I didn’t appreciate how important that is to community stability.
Another good thing to look for: This area isn’t a place people drive through to get to somewhere else. If you’re driving through here you generally live or work here. Keeps the traffic way down.
My home range goes to 200 meters. My neighbor across the way has ~30 acres and multiple bays. His rifle bay goes to 300 meters.
People in this area are ‘live-and-let-live’, which is great. And if you need help, they come running.
Again OP, good luck in your search!!
Great post! How is it your property can have a range? Sheer size and/or special zoning? Did you have to build berms, or more likely you created the range around natural barriers?
This is a good idea. The outdoor range where I'm a member is private property technically so it's a similar legal arrangement I'm sure.
AFAIK you can legally open carry on your own property. I could do that where I live.
Thanks!
where in eldorado county?
I agree with the el dorado county property so I can shoot on your range
Any towns around? For someone who’s not familiar with the area to get an idea?NorCal. I'm 90 min west of lake tahoe
Great post! How is it your property can have a range? Sheer size and/or special zoning? Did you have to build berms, or more likely you created the range around natural barriers?
This is a good idea. The outdoor range where I'm a member is private property technically so it's a similar legal arrangement I'm sure.
AFAIK you can legally open carry on your own property. I could do that where I live.
Thanks!
Lots of spots like mine in southwest Riverside County and adjacent northwest San Diego County.Sounds great. What area are you in?
Any towns around? For someone who’s not familiar with the area to get an idea?
Yo what!!! Okay sickAnytime, bring some ammo![]()
I’m driving next week from sac to SLT to canvass a car crash scene. Small world!NorCal. I'm 90 min west of lake tahoe
I’m driving next week from sac to SLT to canvass a car crash scene. Small world!
Are you an insurance investigator? I'm about 30 min north off the 50. What day are you going to slt?
Must be near Anza...Lots of spots like mine in southwest Riverside County and adjacent northwest San Diego County.
It was total dumb luck that I found this area. For shooting on your land, you need to be careful: unincorporated areas are generally GtG (but not always) and incorporated are generally *not* GtG (but not always, haha!!). And, of course, even where allowed, the same rules apply about shooting near dwellings, across roads, etc.
Being able to shoot on our land wasn’t even on my mind (I just assumed it wasn’t going to be allowed), then during property inspection I heard ‘pow, ding, pow, ding, pow, ding’ from across the way. I asked my agent about it, he said “Of course you can shoot here. Everyone around here does!!”
I was very pleasantly surprised, haha!!
I'm a good 40 miles away from Anza, haha!! Way too desert-y for our tastes. We're much closer to the ocean.Must be near Anza...
Agreed. DeLuz?I'm a good 40 miles away from Anza, haha!! Way too desert-y for our tastes. We're much closer to the ocean.
Same here. We're way up on a hill, and my range is down in one of the 'ravines' where our persimmon grove is. No berms needed at all.We're in rolling hills so we just use natural barriers. If you had flat land you would definitely have to build burms