18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

  • Welcome

    Welcome to CAguns

    Join California’s gun owner community. Create a free account to join discussions and explore member features.

Considering moving from California to a Free State. Looking for advice, ideas, books, websites.

I would very much prefer nature and weather of norcal. SoCal in general to deserty to my taste. If it was u to me I would put my townhome in Glendale for sale and buy property 90min from Tahoe. Added bonus much closer to my kid in UCB.
But.. wife said shut up and seat this one out šŸ˜‚
 
Agreed. DeLuz?
That's a good guess. I'll say that there are many areas around north county SD/south county RS that are just in another world.

De Luz is one of them and is a HUGE area (near the 15 from Temecula to Fallbrook and many parts in between). There are even spots of BLM land along De Luz.

Then you've got Tenaja, Sandia Creek, Gavilan Mountain, Santa Rosa Plateau area, and on and on. My wife and I make a habit of picking a random road to drive down once a week or so and we're regularly blown away at the little hamlets and valleys we find.

Shoot, there was an estate sale a few properties over, we went there and couldn't believe the community we found, haha!! Super cool and completely hidden from the main road. Just awesome.
 
That's a good guess. I'll say that there are many areas around north county SD/south county RS that are just in another world.

De Luz is one of them and is a HUGE area (near the 15 from Temecula to Fallbrook and many parts in between). There are even spots of BLM land along De Luz.

Then you've got Tenaja, Sandia Creek, Gavilan Mountain, Santa Rosa Plateau area, and on and on. My wife and I make a habit of picking a random road to drive down once a week or so and we're regularly blown away at the little hamlets and valleys we find.

Shoot, there was an estate sale a few properties over, we went there and couldn't believe the community we found, haha!! Super cool and completely hidden from the main road. Just awesome.
I'm in Murrieta, so I'm familiar with the area. I've brought all my kids up to DeLuz to teach them to drive; we've hiked Teneja Falls and some other local areas; before I moved back, I took my new wife up to the plateau to check out the vernal pools and we had a close encounter with a bobcat; we've hiked out to the old ranch... we also like to go up there, pick a random road and just go. One time we ended up intersecting the Ortega.

You and I are practically neighbors! Haha.
 
I'm in Murrieta, so I'm familiar with the area. I've brought all my kids up to DeLuz to teach them to drive; we've hiked Teneja Falls and some other local areas; before I moved back, I took my new wife up to the plateau to check out the vernal pools and we had a close encounter with a bobcat; we've hiked out to the old ranch... we also like to go up there, pick a random road and just go. One time we ended up intersecting the Ortega.

You and I are practically neighbors! Haha.
Nice!!

This area really made an impression on my wife and me (we were in the SGV for over 20 years prior to retirement). It took us about six months of looking nearly every weekend to find 'the one', but the effort was so worth it.

Though with acreage, everything is way more than you're used to, haha!! Tree guy? My tree guy and his crew have been here going on eight WEEKS haha!! And they *work*. About halfway through, he decided to buy a stand-on skid steer (to go along with his bobcat) to help with dead tree removal, haha!! But wow does the place look great.

We get bobcats up here all the time. Super smart, super mean haha!! My neighbor is constantly getting outsmarted by them when it comes to his chickens. They figure out how to unlatch things, pry open panels, etc.
 
I would very much prefer nature and weather of norcal. SoCal in general to deserty to my taste. If it was u to me I would put my townhome in Glendale for sale and buy property 90min from Tahoe. Added bonus much closer to my kid in UCB.
But.. wife said shut up and seat this one out šŸ˜‚

Just take her on vacay up here. She'll change her mind quickly.
 
I'm in Murrieta, so I'm familiar with the area. I've brought all my kids up to DeLuz to teach them to drive; we've hiked Teneja Falls and some other local areas; before I moved back, I took my new wife up to the plateau to check out the vernal pools and we had a close encounter with a bobcat; we've hiked out to the old ranch... we also like to go up there, pick a random road and just go. One time we ended up intersecting the Ortega.

You and I are practically neighbors! Haha.
We three are practically neighbors!
 
Plenty of towns! Just have to commute a little.
-90 min to south lake tahoe
-15 min from coloma where the American River has world class fishing, beauty, and white water rapids
-15 min from Cool (holiday market)
-30 min to either placerville or Auburn (main big hospitals and bad ass downtowns)
-35-45 min to eldorado hills or Folsom (where costco and trader joes are) you'd feel right back in LA without the piss, sh@t, needles, and odor
- I'm 8 minutes from a Marval in Georgetown,
4 min from post office and true value hardware and feed and gas station.
I live in Garden Valley. It's called the "gem of the divide" and it doesn't disappoint.
I might have to jump on this offer if possible. I'm in the Folsom area. My go to spots are about 1-1/2 hour drive to get into national forest and away from too many others. But even getting out to 100 yards can be difficult in those areas.

I often take Missouri flats road out of diamond springs to get to my usual spot, out through fair play and to Omo ranch. Or through Plymouth to mount Aukum to Omo ranch.

Your place sounds closer and better for a day of plinking šŸ¤—
 
Nice!!

This area really made an impression on my wife and me (we were in the SGV for over 20 years prior to retirement). It took us about six months of looking nearly every weekend to find 'the one', but the effort was so worth it.

Though with acreage, everything is way more than you're used to, haha!! Tree guy? My tree guy and his crew have been here going on eight WEEKS haha!! And they *work*. About halfway through, he decided to buy a stand-on skid steer (to go along with his bobcat) to help with dead tree removal, haha!! But wow does the place look great.

We get bobcats up here all the time. Super smart, super mean haha!! My neighbor is constantly getting outsmarted by them when it comes to his chickens. They figure out how to unlatch things, pry open panels, etc.
It made a huge impression on my wife as well. She grew up her whole life in Rural Oklahoma and had a lot of the same misconceptions about CA that I had when I moved out here in 1999 from rural Vermont. Except for a few years here and there, I've been in SoCal since, and had familial obligations to come back to when I retired 6 years ago. So, her and I made a handful of trips out here before that time came, so she could see that it wasn't all L.A. everywhere. šŸ˜‚

Yeah, bobcats are a heck of a wiley opponent. Best of luck to your neighbor with all of that.

Sounds like you're busy up there with all that work. I believe you said you have a grove of fruit trees? From my experience, that's a whole job unto itself; so I only have half a dozen to keep up with myself. Then again, living inside the city, does kind of limit my options there. 🤪
 
Don't bail on california unless you have to. Find a rural community that shares your same values and embrace all the things you're looking for. That's what my wife and I did and we love it. Went from oc in socal the western rural foothills in eldorado county and it's great. Sure you can't open carry but getting ccw through eldorado county is pretty seamless. Got 18 acres with newish built house (2017) and adu that my dad lives in for well under a mill. All four seasons, no humidity in the summer. Have a range on the back half of my property and I go shoot whenever I want. Sure it's still california, but it's easy to forget it is unless you go to sacramento where you're quickly reminded. Not gonna lie, we've wanted to make the move but there are few places in the world that have the weather and beauty we have. Plus we need to good principled people to stay in Cali to try and keep it somewhat balanced. Just gtfo of LA County whatever you do.
Only leaving LA county, not this marxist šŸ’©hole entirely, is a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

I live in a fantastic little community. A bid extended family of sorts. Weather is pretty šŸ’©, but no bums, and very low crime. Taxes and traffic are bananas, though.

But I can't just hole up here and pretend the dumpster fire that is the rest of this state, and it's bullšŸ’© taxes, rules, laws, infringements, all while coddling all manner of undesirable elements while expecting the rest of us to pay for these creatures "benefits" and stimmies, isn't what surround me. It's is certifiably insane to stay if I don't like it and it's never going to change. This state is lost, and I'm giving them as little of my tax dollars as possible before I get the F- out of dodge.

Want proof? Watch the next election cycle.
 
I might have to jump on this offer if possible. I'm in the Folsom area. My go to spots are about 1-1/2 hour drive to get into national forest and away from too many others. But even getting out to 100 yards can be difficult in those areas.

I often take Missouri flats road out of diamond springs to get to my usual spot, out through fair play and to Omo ranch. Or through Plymouth to mount Aukum to Omo ranch.

Your place sounds closer and better for a day of plinking šŸ¤—
I haven’t gone actual plinking in years and years. Group hangout? Haha. I’m a little farther in sac county
 
Back
Top Bottom