18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Do you prefer to train on one handgun brand/platform, or many?

This is generally good advice but shooting the g19 and DWXc are so much more fun than the p365….

This is so true for me. My p365 is the least favorite of mine to shoot, but the easiest to carry. I put 30-60 rounds through it every range trip and am reminded I like almost everything else better. Except my G48. I love Glocks, just not the slim ones.
 
This is so true for me. My p365 is the least favorite of mine to shoot, but the easiest to carry. I put 30-60 rounds through it every range trip and am reminded I like almost everything else better. Except my G48. I love Glocks, just not the slim ones.
This is why I got the WC XL grip module for my p365 but even with that it’s not as nice to shoot compared to the other guns on my permit; I find myself carrying the DWX compact most days now, it actually conceals better than the g19 and the grip feels like it was made for my hands.
 
RE: single/multi-platform?

80% of my training is with my defense pistols.

If I change those I’ll retake classes with the new platforms. So far, I’ve gone through P320, Glock.3, now on M&P and X-Macro. But the changed were more so out of necessity.

I do value multi-platform proficiency in the sense that I want to be able to pickup almost any gun and be effective, quickly, were the necessity to ever arise but that’s more about the systems: striker/hammer, revolver, DA/SA, SAO…

I just started DA/SA and SAO (2011) but those are pretty much competition only.
 
RE: single/multi-platform?

80% of my training is with my defense pistols.

If I change those I’ll retake classes with the new platforms. So far, I’ve gone through P320, Glock.3, now on M&P and X-Macro. But the changed were more so out of necessity.

I do value multi-platform proficiency in the sense that I want to be able to pickup almost any gun and be effective, quickly, were the necessity to ever arise but that’s more about the systems: striker/hammer, revolver, DA/SA, SAO…

I just started DA/SA and SAO (2011) but those are pretty much competition only.
Frankly I don’t think there’s as much difference between platforms as people think. Now, manual safety vs not is a big difference, but DA/SA vs striker fired vs DAO or SAO I don’t see a big training difference for practical shooting. Draw, indexing, trigger control, and grip are fundamental skills that cross platforms. Whether you have to flip off a manual safety on the draw I think is the one differentiating factor.
 
Frankly I don’t think there’s as much difference between platforms as people think. Now, manual safety vs not is a big difference, but DA/SA vs striker fired vs DAO or SAO I don’t see a big training difference for practical shooting. Draw, indexing, trigger control, and grip are fundamental skills that cross platforms. Whether you have to flip off a manual safety on the draw I think is the one differentiating factor.
I can mostly agree. Especially the part about manual safety. Even on pistols with no manual safety I still swipe it.

Granted I’ve only just started shooting it the DA to SA transition trips me up a bit. Also, because I’ve trained to prep the trigger.

But if you’ve only ever trained with a Glock, I thinks there’s enough difference between the platforms where having prior experience helps with adjustment, particularly between weight/balance and trigger feel.

Being able to diagnose and fix mechanical issues is whole other thing but I digress.
 
Frankly I don’t think there’s as much difference between platforms as people think. Now, manual safety vs not is a big difference, but DA/SA vs striker fired vs DAO or SAO I don’t see a big training difference for practical shooting. Draw, indexing, trigger control, and grip are fundamental skills that cross platforms. Whether you have to flip off a manual safety on the draw I think is the one differentiating factor.

I noticed that it took me a half second or so longer to draw, aim, and fire my p365 X macro after shooting Glocks, my preferred platform for years.

I was “proficient,” but noticeably slower. I tried to like p320s, but my Legion was only so-so, and the controversy around p320s didn’t make me particularly excited, either.

So now I’ve switched to HK VP9a1s, and the grip angle is more similar to the p365. The lag is still measurable, but decreased. This is what I mean by training a single platform. I’m very interested in looking into the vp9cc if it becomes more readily available in CA. I’ll see if it’s a viable platform for me. I just want that extra half second back. That extra comfort level.

I guess I don’t have the talent to pick up any platform and be just as good. I have to practice, and my time is limited. So I focus on a single platform.
 
Back
Top Bottom