18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Full size showdown: M&P 2.0 vs PDP vs. Echelon

I have an Echelon and the M&P 2.0 5", both are excellent shooters. I honestly don't see a need for a comp on the Echelon, it's already a flat shooter.

I recently got the M&P so I'm going to do a more careful comparison next range trip.

*Edit - I also have the M&P 2.0 4.25" (Full size). I will compare the 4.25" to the Echelon per your question.
 
Last edited:
So because the Echelon not only isn't in stores yet here in CA (and won't be for a little while longer still...), and I'm thinking I'll wait for the comp'd version (which was recently announced for the CA roster, which means an even LONGER wait... could be 4-6mo honestly...), and because the PDP is finally hitting stores now...

I've pretty much decided to go ahead and pick up a PDP Full Size now. This will be a pretty much stock, hone defense-dedicated pistol.

And when the Echelon finally hits stores, I'll still wanna pick one up, and it can be more of something I can build up over time.
Not a range queen per se, but something I can have a bit more fun with vs trusting for defense regularly.

Neither will be for carry (I have a P365 for that already), but I still understand any defense gun is likely gonna be best kept stock for several reasons.
 
So because the Echelon not only isn't in stores yet here in CA (and won't be for a little while longer still...), and I'm thinking I'll wait for the comp'd version (which was recently announced for the CA roster, which means an even LONGER wait... could be 4-6mo honestly...), and because the PDP is finally hitting stores now...

I've pretty much decided to go ahead and pick up a PDP Full Size now. This will be a pretty much stock, hone defense-dedicated pistol.

And when the Echelon finally hits stores, I'll still wanna pick one up, and it can be more of something I can build up over time.
Not a range queen per se, but something I can have a bit more fun with vs trusting for defense regularly.

Neither will be for carry (I have a P365 for that already), but I still understand any defense gun is likely gonna be best kept stock for several reasons.
honestly the way that the Echelon, PDP and M&P are designed, you don't lose reliability with making the trigger nice like you do with a glock, I don't have a single stock trigger in any gun including my CCWs , I do have mine a touch lighter on the main gun I run in competitions but I still trust it not to ND, I mean I honestly think it's almost more important not to ND during a match where there's 20 people within 50 ft of you so all of my guns are tested and safe. The bottom line is they don't go off without pulling the trigger.
 
honestly the way that the Echelon, PDP and M&P are designed, you don't lose reliability with making the trigger nice like you do with a glock, I don't have a single stock trigger in any gun including my CCWs , I do have mine a touch lighter on the main gun I run in competitions but I still trust it not to ND, I mean I honestly think it's almost more important not to ND during a match where there's 20 people within 50 ft of you so all of my guns are tested and safe. The bottom line is they don't go off without pulling the trigger.
Good thing the P320 isn't on the list 🤣
 
honestly the way that the Echelon, PDP and M&P are designed, you don't lose reliability with making the trigger nice like you do with a glock, I don't have a single stock trigger in any gun including my CCWs , I do have mine a touch lighter on the main gun I run in competitions but I still trust it not to ND, I mean I honestly think it's almost more important not to ND during a match where there's 20 people within 50 ft of you so all of my guns are tested and safe. The bottom line is they don't go off without pulling the trigger.
Your IA allows trigger mods on your CCW? I'm jealous
 
I like to mod my firearms andi would choose the echelon because Springfield is now selling the compact and fullsize uppers on their site. So essentially you can have two guns. Slap on a metal grip from mischief machines and you have a slightly thicker 1911 grip range gun with very aggressive grip texture and natural pointing grip angle.

The trigger is pretty good out the box everyone who handles my echelon asks if the trigger is modded so it’s a very nice trigger out of the box
 
I like to mod my firearms andi would choose the echelon because Springfield is now selling the compact and fullsize uppers on their site. So essentially you can have two guns. Slap on a metal grip from mischief machines and you have a slightly thicker 1911 grip range gun with very aggressive grip texture and natural pointing grip angle.

The trigger is pretty good out the box everyone who handles my echelon asks if the trigger is modded so it’s a very nice trigger out of the box
I definitely still want an Echelon
But unfortunately they haven't hit shelves in CA yet, and won't for a while longer still...
So I'll wait for the Comp and it'll be more of a build, I love the flexibility the COG/FCU systems have.
I have a P365 also, I wish the Flux Raider was legal here... I'd love one for HD
 
NO restrictions you say? 🤔👀🤣
i did actually ask if I could put a 9mm MP5 clone on and they said no but after looking at their own rules I don't think it's actually disallowed, they specifically don't allow "rifle caliber weapons such as AR pistols" but an MP5 is 9mm, not a rifle caliber. Literally a pistol caliber.....pistol? hard to call it a carbine...
 
I definitely still want an Echelon
But unfortunately they haven't hit shelves in CA yet, and won't for a while longer still...
So I'll wait for the Comp and it'll be more of a build, I love the flexibility the COG/FCU systems have.
I have a P365 also, I wish the Flux Raider was legal here... I'd love one for HD
I just want a new echelon since I dont own anything newer/modern day lol

Any word on when they might hit shelves?
 
Do IA have restrictions or its just frowned upon if your involved in a shoot?

Ours doesn't but in our classes they say not to
A handful don't allow it per the county policy but they also don't allow red dots so it's clearly just some fudd boomer 💩. If you know what you are doing a trigger change is totally safe. My shield plus isn't super light it's just smoother and has less take up, the overwatch kit is duty rated. Doesn't change any of the safeties.
 
Curious, was the VP9 eliminated off your list for any reason? Or maybe you already have one?
 
A handful don't allow it per the county policy but they also don't allow red dots so it's clearly just some fudd boomer 💩. If you know what you are doing a trigger change is totally safe. My shield plus isn't super light it's just smoother and has less take up, the overwatch kit is duty rated. Doesn't change any of the safeties.
Different counties etc can have vastly different policies...
Definitely check with your IA
Sometimes things are left a little open to interpretation too, which can go both ways
All depends on what kinda region you're in in terms of if they might be more favorable to someone defending themselves or not...
 
Curious, was the VP9 eliminated off your list for any reason? Or maybe you already have one?
Just never tickled my fancy, plus it's a lot more expensive for not having any features/advantages to back up the price other than "HK" haha
 
I've looked at case law with trigger mods and self defense and its only really an issue with a negligent discharge situation. I could never find a case where someone used a firearm in self defense legally but got in trouble because of mods to the trigger. I think there's a lot of rumor going around that a DA will try to use it against you and one of the only examples is an aggressive cop that had some provocative phrases on his AR dust cover but that was about motive. You will find that the counties with dumb restrictions also likely have those restrictions on their own deputies, it's crazy to think about but some police still aren't even allowed red dots.
 
Back
Top Bottom