18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Good competition gun or?

This just hit the roster: https://hk-usa.com/product/vp9a1-l-mil/

If it's not a good competition gun what's the point of something like this?
Many different ways to look at it.

For the most part, the shooter is more important than the gun in competition. Most folks will be 0-10% with different firearms of whatever their current abilities are.

Most folks buy whatever firearm they like to compete with and/or buy whatever they perceive will give them the most advantage.

Other factors like magazine costs, and other gear cost/availability will obviously come into play.

Look at Nationals (USPSA) I think 4 Glocks were in the Top 10 IIRC.

Pick what you like and go shoot with it!
 
Many different ways to look at it.

For the most part, the shooter is more important than the gun in competition. Most folks will be 0-10% with different firearms of whatever their current abilities are.

Most folks buy whatever firearm they like to compete with and/or buy whatever they perceive will give them the most advantage.

Other factors like magazine costs, and other gear cost/availability will obviously come into play.

Look at Nationals (USPSA) I think 4 Glocks were in the Top 10 IIRC.

Pick what you like and go shoot with it!
I'm not looking for some ultra modified gun like those Glocks

Guns are a pretty cheap hobby relatively so I'm not too concerned with the costs
 
Generally speaking, full size guns are good for a lot of things. I think this CAN be used for competition for the paddle bros who can’t find it in them to “be normal” like the rest of us who have button mag releases. It’s also a contender for duty gun, home defense, SHTF/LARP, etc.

Def not my cup of tea. You do you boo.
 
I'm not looking for some ultra modified gun like those Glocks

Guns are a pretty cheap hobby relatively so I'm not too concerned with the costs
One of the local GM's shoots a nearly stock G22 in Limited, a G34 in CO also mostly stock. Hell, he even slapped a ported barrel in it and shot it in Open. Even the Big name Glock shooters don't have fully tricked out Glocks, just a few choice modifications.

There are fully raced out Open Glocks for sure, but those aren't very common from what I've seen so far.
 
Many different ways to look at it.

For the most part, the shooter is more important than the gun in competition. Most folks will be 0-10% with different firearms of whatever their current abilities are.

Most folks buy whatever firearm they like to compete with and/or buy whatever they perceive will give them the most advantage.

Other factors like magazine costs, and other gear cost/availability will obviously come into play.

Look at Nationals (USPSA) I think 4 Glocks were in the Top 10 IIRC.

Pick what you like and go shoot with it!
how tf do you find the results of the shooters lol https://uspsa.org/match-results-details?index=72216
 
Generally speaking, full size guns are good for a lot of things. I think this CAN be used for competition for the paddle bros who can’t find it in them to “be normal” like the rest of us who have button mag releases. It’s also a contender for duty gun, home defense, SHTF/LARP, etc.

Def not my cup of tea. You do you boo.
The only full size guns I have and shoot are my P226 and M9, since to me the point of handguns is CCW. Thus why I'm asking why people get these - outside of home defense and competition I don't even really see the point
 
The only full size guns I have and shoot are my P226 and M9, since to me the point of handguns is CCW. Thus why I'm asking why people get these - outside of home defense and competition I don't even really see the point
I initially bought the Sand Viper because I wanted to try the "2011" platform and had just planned on having it as a range toy. Decided to get into competition after I bought it and now shoot it all the time. I have many pews that just sit and collect dust that I bought because they were cool.

I do eventually plan on shooting all of the divisions with something like this:

Open: 2011
LO: 2k11
L10: 1911
SS: 1911 (obvious)
CO: G34
Limited: G34
Production G34

PCC, all I got is a Sub2k, who knows if I'll ever try it, lol.

Ben Stoeger even said there's almost no fully sponsored shooters out there that can just go shoot all day and get paid for it. Most of those folks have jobs, even if it is simply working for their pew pew company.
 
The only full size guns I have and shoot are my P226 and M9, since to me the point of handguns is CCW. Thus why I'm asking why people get these - outside of home defense and competition I don't even really see the point
That makes sense. CCW is the only way you can exercise 2A in public. If you could conceal a full size, I bet you would look at this differently.

I’m in the competition camp, but I say that and reenforce your point in the same breath. I run Atlas in competitions. I look at this and say the same thing.

IMG_6600.gif
 
That makes sense. CCW is the only way you can exercise 2A in public. If you could conceal a full size, I bet you would look at this differently.

I’m in the competition camp, but I say that and reenforce your point in the same breath. I run Atlas in competitions. I look at this and say the same thing.

View attachment 258912
I kinda want to try carrying my P226 in winter lol but seems kinda pointless and only 3 spots. I could open carry any 9mm with my BSIS license but I feel like that would just get cops called on me eventually
 
I initially bought the Sand Viper because I wanted to try the "2011" platform and had just planned on having it as a range toy. Decided to get into competition after I bought it and now shoot it all the time. I have many pews that just sit and collect dust that I bought because they were cool.

I do eventually plan on shooting all of the divisions with something like this:

Open: 2011
LO: 2k11
L10: 1911
SS: 1911 (obvious)
CO: G34
Limited: G34
Production G34

PCC, all I got is a Sub2k, who knows if I'll ever try it, lol.

Ben Stoeger even said there's almost no fully sponsored shooters out there that can just go shoot all day and get paid for it. Most of those folks have jobs, even if it is simply working for their pew pew company.
I'm actively shooting like 5 of my handguns and the others are on mothballs, rarely shoot either of my 1911's, never shoot the makaraov, shot my revolver like twice ever and idk where my .38spl even went, mainly focused on my 3 CCW's but I want the P211 lol... and now gotta try my sick P226 mod. Would be interesting to compete with my scorpion carry 1911 lol or even my PDP compact
 
Back
Top Bottom