18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Gun Candidate for CCW: Staccato HD C3.6

IMO, the HD 3.6 is not that large - about the same size as the PCR. If you kit it out with an optic/light, obviously it'll be bigger. By all accounts, a good gun and I'm sure you'll be happy shooting it, though. There's tons of options if you want truly large, but I'm sure you know the usual suspects.

If you do go Staccato, I think buying new is the way to go - I've heard the warranty might not transfer to a second hand buyer.

As far as optics go, I think the EPS has to be near the top if you prefer Holosun because you won't have to deal with lint getting into the optic.
Thanks! It's tricky to gauge its size from pictures. By "large" I mean closer to a normal sized gun but large for CC. I definitely wouldn't want to carry anything too large or heavy like my TS2, lol.
 
Thanks! It's tricky to gauge its size from pictures. By "large" I mean closer to a normal sized gun but large for CC. I definitely wouldn't want to carry anything too large or heavy like my TS2, lol.
Some people are able to get away with concealing a full size like a g17. But depending on the size of the person, and ride height the holster, the barrel end might dig into your thigh/groin area, at certain angles, when sitting down appendix carry. I think the compromise was the g49 or shadow system XR-920; slide length same size as g19 but grip length is still full size g17.

For me, if I wanted to carry a g17 or g34 (I wanted to carry g34 in the past), to conceal the butt end of the frame such as a poke print on the side of the garment, I would either need a looser fitting north face jacket that’s double layered (with a zip up fleece or synthetic puffy the inside) or hoodie on the inside with button up collared jacket on the outside. However, with north face jackets, I can conceal easier, but I noticed that inner attached second fleece or puffy jacket layer is a snag point for quick draws for a longer frame or compact frame with full size frame mag with plus. Even though I’m lifting up my whole front end of my shirt, inner layer, and jacket, to show my one pack and minimize snagging for the draw, a longer frame or a compact frame with full size frame mag with plus, is more likely to snag. I think some of it has to do with the diameter of the rain jacket, the synthetic fibers not stretching, grabbing the booty on the sphincter end, and the bottom sides of the garment not being able to stretch out like a cotton hoodie. For something like that, I noticed it helps to lift the jacket dress up above the booty, up to the waist line on the back end, shifting lifting left hand running along side garment to the front, lean back like fat joe, and draw with right; just an extra step to defeat the garment.
 
Last edited:
Oh interesting twist. Who is your IA?
Mine is Contra Costa County. It's one of the most restrictive that I've read about.

"Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable."

I just accessed their site to get you that quote and discovered that my city has just started issuing its own permits. But, it's so new that they don't yet post the rules. I don't renew until October of 2027, so there's plenty of time. But, if I discover I have a bit more freedom, then maybe a Staccato is in my future.
 
Mine is Contra Costa County. It's one of the most restrictive that I've read about.

"Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable."

I just accessed their site to get you that quote and discovered that my city has just started issuing its own permits. But, it's so new that they don't yet post the rules. I don't renew until October of 2027, so there's plenty of time. But, if I discover I have a bit more freedom, then maybe a Staccato is in my future.
Here's hoping for more 2A freedom going forward and the green light for your Staccato!
 
How did you get Staccato to send you an extra mag release? They only sell left hand mag releases online. I even emailed the warranty dept to try and get extras but they told me they're not available for sale.
Not sure when you tried but my call was a few weeks ago. To be clear they would not sell me a regular right hand mag release. Something about some agreement with ca-doj. They sold me a california right hand shooter mag release.

Ultimately you can depress the stock mag release slightly to defeat the mag disconnect for hammer down after a stage or whatever but for dryfire its super annoying so the second mag release got the file treatment.
 
Not sure when you tried but my call was a few weeks ago. To be clear they would not sell me a regular right hand mag release. Something about some agreement with ca-doj. They sold me a california right hand shooter mag release.

Ultimately you can depress the stock mag release slightly to defeat the mag disconnect for hammer down after a stage or whatever but for dryfire its super annoying so the second mag release got the file treatment.
This is good to know. I emailed them shortly after I got my HD P4, and they said the only way I could get a new mag catch was to send the entire gun to them for repair and let them swap out the old one for a new one, and then they would ship the gun back to me with the new mag catch installed. They must have lightened up a bit on their policy.
 
Excellent point. That's another thing Contra Costa County bans.

"Prohibited firearms include any single action only firearms. This includes any semi-automatic handgun made by any manufacturer built on the Colt 1911 configuration."
Im surprised no manufacturer has tried to litigate that. Seems like market manipulation.
 
Just GROK'd it to check for Riverside County;

"Yes, Riverside County allows 2011-style guns for CCW licenses, provided they meet general state requirements: the firearm must be a concealable pistol (or similar), legally owned and registered to you with the California Department of Justice, and you must demonstrate proficiency with it during the required qualification training. There are no county-specific restrictions on off-roster handguns like 2011s, as the state's handgun roster applies only to new dealer sales, not to personal possession or CCW use. You can list up to five firearms on your permit after qualifying with each one."

2A Zone sold their last one this morning, the display model. I got to handle it and it felt great. Not too big at all and same size as a Glock 19. Racks easily. Shoots great per the GunTubers. I love that it's optic-ready and set up for co-witness. I put a deposit down on a new one so now I'll just need to wait a few weeks for it to come in. Easy peasy.

I should have the Staccato in a few weeks! Based on recommendations here I'll probably go for the RMR optic since it seems to fit so well.
 
Last edited:
Excellent point. That's another thing Contra Costa County bans.

"Prohibited firearms include any single action only firearms. This includes any semi-automatic handgun made by any manufacturer built on the Colt 1911 configuration."
I'm surprised a county can override state law or worse, the 2nd Amendment!
 
It's a puzzle. They have to have some justification in mind, but I can't think of one. A striker fired gun seems the same risk as a single action only gun. Maybe it's something about the exposed hammer.
There is no reason they should or could decide whay your carry gun is. What if the only thing you had was a 1911. So now you jave to incur another purchase? You CC guys should contact Harmeet Dhillon and have them pit their thumb on tbe scale.
 
There is no reason they should or could decide whay your carry gun is. What if the only thing you had was a 1911. So now you jave to incur another purchase? You CC guys should contact Harmeet Dhillon and have them pit their thumb on tbe scale.
Yes, they have to incur another purchase. I feel like a lot of the policy is more old style of thinking but then yet again, old style of thinking would usually be friendly to 1911.
 
Mine is Contra Costa County. It's one of the most restrictive that I've read about.

"Firearms with attached laser sights, flashlights, red dots, and sighting systems are not acceptable."

I just accessed their site to get you that quote and discovered that my city has just started issuing its own permits. But, it's so new that they don't yet post the rules. I don't renew until October of 2027, so there's plenty of time. But, if I discover I have a bit more freedom, then maybe a Staccato is in my future.

Richmond? Richmond is still working on it.

Contra costa sheriffs department is most restrictive, but if you look at costs, they are very reasonable. $80 for application fee, no psych eval required, they don’t charge to use their quali range, and $80 for issuance. That’s only $160 total, and then whatever you pay for your ccw class.
 
Staccatos and Colt 1911s are both single action.
Oh nice; Fanks. Yeh, they won’t let us carry that then.

Damn, I thought about that 3.6 though when I heard about it. The irons being more forward means they meant that pistol to use optics as the primary sighting system. Running without a dot just means shorter sight radius and also would look funny (dotless); the g26 will be just fine then.
 
Oh interesting twist. Who is your IA? Mine would be Riverside County and I'm guessing they might allow it since they tend to be more Pro 2A than most. Even if it just had to be a range or home-defense gun I wouldn't be mad about it.

Did a quick Grok and got this:

"Training providers working directly with the Riverside County Sheriff's Office (e.g., Right 2 Bear, LLC) note: "Modifications are not recommended; Red-dot optics are OK."

CCW modification qualification courses approved for Riverside County (e.g., riversideccwtraining.com) confirm: "Reflex or Red Dot sights are permitted."

(Note: These courses specify that during the qualification shoot, you must use the firearm's standard sights, and lasers are prohibited for the qual process—but the sights themselves are allowed on the carry gun.)"


Does anyone think it would be an issue for a decent shooter to pass a CCW firing test without the Staccato optic since the rear sight is forward of the optic space?

Grok again:

"Riverside CCW Training describes engaging at three different distances (explicitly detailing 15-yard start with holstered draw, then 7-yard with body/head shots).

L&L Firearms Training and Semper Safe specify 7, 10, and 15 yards for Riverside County (contrasting with shorter distances like 3/5/7 yards for San Diego or some other areas).

Reddit reports from recent qualifiers (2024) confirm 7-10-15 yards, with 6 rounds each, and note it's considered straightforward if you practice"
Wait, during quali, you are allowed to do head shots? CoCo is -10 points per head shot or flyer.
 
Seems like they used the same footprint options as Sig Romeo X series; but, the front end look of it with serrations looks like they took some of the ideas from vortex defender. So, it would be an easy direct mount for p320’s and p365’s; non-fuse models.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom