18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Have my first comp today...any advice?

RingtailClay

🛡️ Range Member
Range Member
Messages
9
Classified ads
3
I'm a baby competitor and this is super low stakes (just a club championship, anyone can enter), but I've never tried this before and I'm a little nervous.

I've got a couple of sports psych skills (set realistic goals, focus on learning process not outcome), but all that mindful breathing stuff doesn't really work when my brain decides to eat itself.

What do you wish you had known on Day 1, Competition 1 that you can pass on?
 
Go into knowing you aren’t going to win. So the goal is to be safe and have fun. Keep your finger off the trigger while moving and be aware of where your muzzle is pointing at all times. Adrenaline will probably kick whatever plan you had out of your brain when you start so don’t over think it.
 
HAVE FUN

I think it gets lost, especially on people new to comp shooting that end of the day we're all there because it's a fun hobby. Many new comp shooters I've seen get so caught up trying to perfect their stage plan, worrying about how they will perform, or how they look in the eyes of the rest of their squad. Don't go beating yourself up and getting anxious about it.

Once that buzzer goes off it will be like a neuralyzer, go slow and remember your fundamentals
 
HAVE FUN

I think it gets lost, especially on people new to comp shooting that end of the day we're all there because it's a fun hobby. Many new comp shooters I've seen get so caught up trying to perfect their stage plan, worrying about how they will perform, or how they look in the eyes of the rest of your squad. Don't go beating yourself up and getting anxious about it.

Once that buzzer goes off it will be like a neutralizer, go slow and remember your fundamentals
100%
The buzzer makes me go dumb.
I forget basic fundementals, i skip targets, I shoot the white guys, all because I feel like im competing with the M/GM that shot right before me. The results are never good, I get frustrated, i get irritated, I have a bad day.

Now when I slow it down a step, I make my shots count, and I only play the game to beat myself, I have a ton of fun.
Not many places you can holster your gun, utilize movement when shooting, double tap, sometimes triple tap targets.

Work at your own pace, not the other people. Remember this is a game and have fun. If you have fun, you will get better.

2 most important things, Safety, have fun.
 
What do you wish you had known on Day 1, Competition 1 that you can pass on?
No one else at the match, and especially in your squad, cares how good you are. All they care about is that you’re safe and that you help out with taping targets, etc. Be humble, don’t make excuses (again, no one cares), and don’t be an ass. Tell the ROs in your squad that this is your first match, and then be ready to listen and learn. You’re going to have a great time!
 
Literally the only thing that matters is keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you arent actively shooting and especially reloading, and when you are walking stages actively use your pointy finger to plan out how to keep your gun down range. I wouldn't even try to think about how to score well just focus on safety
 
Exercise safe gun handling and mind your 180. Follow directions from the RO. Let your squad know it’s your first match and they will move you down the order so you can observe and they will help you out. Focus on finishing and don’t worry about time. That will happen later. Also let MD know it’s your first.
 
What do you wish you had known on Day 1, Competition 1 that you can pass on?
Well, I didn’t know that my squad mates wouldn’t care and would still be so friendly, even though I literally, walked the stages.

My singular goal was to not get DQ’d, but more importantly, not to put myself or anyone else in danger. That horse will never die.

Everyone was super cool and helpful even though they were sooo much better, and still gave me great advice. It made really it easy to go back.
 
Last edited:
Your first competition is really for you to confirm that you can do the stages safely. That means not trying to go john wick or thinking you need to do things as quickly as those who have done this way more than you.

Just remember the fundamentals, don't break 180, even when reloading, finger off the trigger until you've acquired the target in your sights, and take your time.

And, as others have said, have fun. Talk to the others and learn from them.
 
Focus on Safety, not getting Disqualified, have fun, learn from those better than you.

Obviously depending heavily on what type of competition, but in general you can only handle you firearm at the Safe Table, or once under the "Make Ready" command. Outside of that it should be unloaded and holstered.

Most common DQ I've seen has been breaking the 180*. Had a buddy get DQ'd because he unholstered his firearm prior to the Make Ready command and there was someone down range. The stage called for an unloaded, unholstered start and it was his 2nd match.

If you suck, don't beat yourself up. Remember a day on the range where you underperformed to your expectations is better than a good day doing most other things.
 
Back
Top Bottom