18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Help me decide - first pistol

Followup to let all who have helped me know where things are at...

I ended up passing on the sale a few weeks ago, went to Poway Weapons & Gear (PWG) range and rented a G34 to try it out and liked it. Put the money down yesterday (using the GSSF blue label coupon, $499 for the G34) and have 9 more days till I can pick it up. Would love a red dot for it but thats too pricey but I did get metal night sights which will be installed when I pick it up.

Joined PWG at the lowest level membership since it costs the about the same as 1 hour of the 25 yard range per month so I can go in and practice and its less than 10 minutes from my home. Signed myself and my wife up for a beginner handgun class in 3 weeks (working on my side gig as a motorcycle safety instructor for the next 2 weekends and have a campsite for the one after that so had to delay this) and plan on getting followup training over the summer.

Whats still TBD at this point is working on getting the other junk, I mean accessories, needed to keep things running smoothly. The shopping list is
- corrosion inhibiting bags (since I won't have a nice ventilated gun safe for a while)
- Mag loader (maglula uplula probably)
- gun cleaning mat (to save the counters)
- gun cleaning stuff, either a kit or just some CLP or Ballistol and a bore snake. The G34 has a brush in the box with it already. Or maybe just a Hoppes kit.
- ammo for the range - cheap stuff around here for practice right now is either Fiocchi or CCi Blazer (both 115g FMJ $15/50rd) or Sellier & Bellot 124g FMJ ($14/50rd) and then a box of self defense ammo to have on hand (and why are these so much more expensive? $1/rd vs 0.30/rd seems like a big jump, are they really that much harder to make?)
- silicone gun rag ? (not sure if this kis a necessity or not)

If anyone sees something important I am missing, or has a recommendation for cleaning/gun oil I'd appreciate it. Leaning towards an all-in-one cleaning regimen to keep it easy enough that I don't skip it (hence the Ballistol or CLP instead of separate solvent & oil)
 
I feel compelled to stand up for the Bersa here. I don’t own one, don’t plan to. I must admit two of my friends bought them and I talked a lot of trash. When I shot them they were super accurate, reliable, and easy to use.
 
I think you made an excellent choice with the 34. It’s often used in competition and is super reliable. Night sites is also an excellent upgrade. And if it will be used for home defense, I recommend a Surefire light. I have one on each of my two 34’s.
 
  1. Good call on the gloves, have a box of disposable mechanics gloves in the garage for other stuff.
  2. The shop I got the 34 from will install the sites when I pick it up.
  3. Guess I'll try the Glock mag loader before spending (even more) on another one.
  4. A flashlight will eventually be added (got one coming today for the shotgun) but I want to have the gun in hand before ordering so I have more confidence in fitment
  5. Cleaning fluids: thats +1 vote for hoppes, 0 for CLP & ballistol
  6. Bersa - If they made it in 9mm I would likely still have gotten it because I do like the little PPK look. Or maybe I should say if they imported and put on roster the 9mm that they make but don't sell here.
 
Just some general thoughts:
-Don't overthink it. Avoid paralysis by analysis.
-All three are cool in their own way. All three can offer a fun time, and are tools for self-defense.
-Money may be tight now, but hopefully in the future it won't be, and whatever you get will be the first of many.

The Bersa could include 400-500 rounds, if it's made cost equivalent to the others. But, ammo is more going forward. The others have their merits. Things like aesthetics can matter. If a gun 'does' something for you, that's real value to you, subjective, but value all the same.

There's no right answer here. I'd just pick one. Don't second guess, or play the regret game after. Be happy with it, enjoy it, and life will be fine. And, the experience you have with it over time will help hone what you want in future guns.
 
It's a Glock, all you need is ammo. A can of CLP, the factory bore brush, and some rags made from an old t-shirt are all you need to clean it. Use some junk mail for a cleaning mat.
 
Last edited:
Just some general thoughts:
-Don't overthink it. Avoid paralysis by analysis.
-All three are cool in their own way. All three can offer a fun time, and are tools for self-defense.
-Money may be tight now, but hopefully in the future it won't be, and whatever you get will be the first of many.

The Bersa could include 400-500 rounds, if it's made cost equivalent to the others. But, ammo is more going forward. The others have their merits. Things like aesthetics can matter. If a gun 'does' something for you, that's real value to you, subjective, but value all the same.

There's no right answer here. I'd just pick one. Don't second guess, or play the regret game after. Be happy with it, enjoy it, and life will be fine. And, the experience you have with it over time will help hone what you want in future guns.
My back of the envelope analysis said the cost equivalency for Bersa + 38 ACP vs Glock + 9mm was around 750-800 rounds. Since I plan to shoot more than that, the Glock is cheaper in the long run. 2 days (of the 10 to wait) down.

In the meantime I will take advantage of the free lane and rentals at my local range (with membership of course).

For first pass for cleaners I got a clenzoil 3-gun kit since it covered the 9mm and the shotgun, had bore snakes for both and the project farm video (
) seemed to be a pretty reasonable test. I can give the 223 bore snake away or keep it for the eventual day I get an AR (far in the future). I will probably get other oils and cleaners as time goes by (got 4 different chain lubes for the bikes in the garage right now).

Finally, mothership, I agree, at some point you just have to make a decision and roll with it. I am past that point now, thank god, and I am hoping that with the tarriffs that ammo costs don't skyrocket. Not sure where its all made or where the components come from, but the #00 I am burning through the shotgun is from Mexico (Rio) and I am bracing for increased prices
 
That's awesome Tedder. Congrats on your first handgun!

A Glock is a great choice for a first (or really any number) handgun. They're rugged, reliable, and will serve you as long as you have it. There's a reason why Glocks have been enjoyed the popularity they have for decades. They're a standard for good, practical, serviceable handguns.

So, 8 days to go. Very cool. Enjoy it!
 
I’ve never used the Glock loader. Uplula is vastly superior.
At the price of $0, it works better than any other mag loader that you can buy for $0.
It fits the mags properly which is less than can be said for any "universal" loader like the uplula.
The uplula is handy for unloading but then so is the glock pistol that came with the glock mag loader.
 
I also went with a g34 for my first. I have a few more days till I can pick it up.
 
Anyone have any reason not to get a bunch of
SELLIER & BELLOT 9MM 124 GR FMJ 1181 FPS
to be the break in ammo for the Glock? Its on sale right now and only $0.26/rd in bulk ($0.28/rd by the 50). Want to get enough to break it in and get some range time and I am worried about prices going up with the tarriffs (5 more days to pickup the G34)
 
Last edited:
Anyone have any reason not to get a bunch of
SELLIER & BELLOT 9MM 124 GR FMJ 1181 FPS
to be the break in ammo for the Glock? Its on sale right now and only $0.26/rd in bulk ($0.28/rd by the 50). Want to get enough to break it in and get some range time and I am worried about prices going up with the tarriffs (5 more days to pickup the G34)
26/rd is good. I'm assuming that's before taxes. Get it now.
 
Back
Top Bottom