18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Help me decide - first pistol

Planning to get my first pistol this weekend (LGS sale this weekend) but I am really struggling in a 3-way decision. Money is tight, prices below are advertised sale prices (limited quantities they say) and they may be out of stock before I get to the head of the line anyway... Purpose is range toy plus home defense. CCW is not anticipated anytime soon. Cheap ammo desirable since I want to actually shoot the thing. I have big hands (XL /11 gloves) and lean towards a full-size gun in general, but then I am also cheap.

Option 1. Bersa Firestorm 380 w/2 mags. $260. Cheap to buy but 380 ammo seems to start at $0.60/rd. Recommended by a friend that has one. Like the James Bond overtones.
Option 2. Glock 17 gen 3 w/2 mags. $500. Same friend hates glocks because of the angle. Didn't bother me but only fired 20 ish rounds. Like the reliability and simplicity.
Option 3. SW M&P 2.0 4.25" barrel w/3 mags: $590. Same friend loves it, I haven't fired this one. Seems like it would be nicer than the glock and not a ton more $$.

I had pretty much decided to keep it cheap and get the Bersa, but the ammo is about double 9mm ammo costs so it might be a false savings, or maybe 380 will be cheaper again later. My math says that the break even is at about 900 rounds, if I shoot that many, the Glock is cheaper and the SW might be nicer for about the same. I have no idea how long it will take me to hit 900 rounds, when I have gone out with friends I usually slip them a few $$ and buy dinner and beer after so I never really counted shots (plus they own a bunch so it was many varieties of ammo).

What do y'all think, is the cheap 380 really not gonna be cheap enough in the long run because of the ammo and should I go up a size to the Glock or up a size and add a but of luxury with the M&P? I have till Sat morning to decide...
CZ SP-01 off the rooster now, best of of the box over all gun is the sig P320 x5 legion on rooster
 
Anyone have any reason not to get a bunch of
SELLIER & BELLOT 9MM 124 GR FMJ 1181 FPS
to be the break in ammo for the Glock? Its on sale right now and only $0.26/rd in bulk ($0.28/rd by the 50). Want to get enough to break it in and get some range time and I am worried about prices going up with the tarriffs (5 more days to pickup the G34)

Not a bad deal and S&B is a reputable brand. I have a spam can of ~1000 rds of the S&B 124g and only break it out for special occasions (I mostly go through all of my cheaper stuff first).

I'm going to add; consider getting a upLula mag loader for future handguns - you'll thank us later. Nothing against the stock Glock mag loader, but having a upLula especially for friends without the thumb strength really make the range trip that much more enjoyable.
 
Thanks again to all for the help. The G34 was freed from gun jail yesterday afternoon. Now just waiting on the ammo for the first range day
 
Thanks again to all for the help. The G34 was freed from gun jail yesterday afternoon. Now just waiting on the ammo for the first range day
Awesome! Congratulations!

I have ammo, waiting on picking my g34 up from jail until I can use the "free range day on pickup" before picking it up.

I can't wait
 
Glad I listened and got an Uplula loader as well... Testing out the 2 mag loaders, the plastic of the glockl loader cracked the second time I pushed down a magazine spring with it. @TBombadil (great name btw), enjoy your G34. My ammo came in today, hope to get to the range on Wednesday.
 
Back
Top Bottom