18+ Content Warning

By clicking Enter, you confirm you are 18 years of age or older and agree to comply with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.

Notice: Any content or member activity - including anything you may buy, sell, transfer, or discuss - must comply with current and upcoming laws.

Members are encouraged to stay informed: California Firearm Laws: 2026 Outlook & 2025 Recap . Responsibility for compliance rests solely with the individual member.

caguns.net

Welcome to CAguns.net!
Join our growing community where you can ask questions, share knowledge, or browse our classifieds section.

Sign up for a free account today and unlock full access! Once registered, you can search, post, and take advantage of exclusive features unavailable to guests.

A note on why more of the site now requires an account: automated scrapers and AI systems have been crawling our forums and classifieds at a scale. Requiring sign-in for those sections is the most effective tool we have. It takes a minute to register, it's free, and it keeps what happens here between actual members.

New to California gun ownership or trying to keep up with the changing laws? Check out our sister site CA2A.com — free courses, plain-English legal updates, and step-by-step guides built for California owners.

Advanced features are available only to registered members. Register today!

  • 📢 Classifieds Update — Effective Monday, September 21

    Starting Monday, the free Classifieds ad limit will be lowered from 3 to 2 active ads.

    Verified accounts will keep their limit of 3. All other account limits stay the same.

    Existing ads are not affected and will remain up until they expire.

    Want to keep 3 listings and add features like removing comments and emojis? Upgrade/Verify your account

    More information here

Question How do i Avoid getting scammed on a PPT Purchase?

PPTs done at the right FFL (not Turner’s or Sportsman's) have always been short and sweet for me. I always make arrangements with the buyer (or seller) to meet outside first. The buyer gets to inspect the firearm in the parking lot. The seller collects CASH then both individuals walk inside the FFL together to PPT. This is the same process whether I’m buying or selling.

Some other members mentioned waiting until DROS paperwork is started until you pay up, that’s a big no for me. As a seller, I wouldn’t even walk into the FFL until I got my cash. As a buyer, I gladly give up the cash before we walk in, it’s the right way to do it.
 
Agree to meet at an FFL
Visually and physically inspect the firearm at FFL
FFL takes firearm and starts paperwork
Hand over funds outside of FFL
Pay DROS and dealer fees to FFL
Pick up firearm after 10 days

*Don't go to Turner's for PPT.
 
Would be great if we could create a sort of community driven template/agreement that buyers and sellers could agree to or edit as needed that spelled out the expected procedure eg when to hand over cash, what to do in event background check fails etc.
 
Agree to meet at an FFL
Visually and physically inspect the firearm at FFL
FFL takes firearm and starts paperwork
Hand over funds outside of FFL
Pay DROS and dealer fees to FFL
Pick up firearm after 10 days

*Don't go to Turner's for PPT.
This is the way.
 
Common sense goes a looonngggg way in life.

Losing feedback from Calguns sucks but I am well known on other gun sites. Snipers hide, 6mmbr.com, plus ebay, and reviews on my business.

I have never scammed anyone and have made hundreds of online deals.

Again...use common sense and your due diligence.
 
I recently did a PPT and guy buying the gun didn’t want to pay till the transaction was completed and he was out the door. This didn’t feel right to me.
Why? Out the door is weird but till the transaction was completed sounds normal. How did that work out?
 
None of mine have been problematic, just slow to very, very slow.

Turners also doesn't deliver on "Undetermined" which seems to be a recurring DOJ problem that pops up in spurts to random folks.
 
Last edited:
The beauty of the PPT is there are fewer ways to get scammed. Wait until you want to buy a $15K gun from a seller back East.

PPT is the same as buying a gun from the shop, more or less ; same DROS - Same 4473.

IMHO, the buyer should dictate the FFL as they are paying the PPT fee and need to make the trip twice.

Everyone has a different level of comfort but I usually like to see the gun before I walk in to start all the paperwork but depending on the parking lot set up, that might not be advisable. I like to make sure it matches the pictures on the ad.

Have the payment method agreed to up front - I've done cash, Venmo and Zelle all based on the seller. Not everyone wants to walk around with cash. Last one I did was at 2A Zone and as mentioned above, they are OK with the money changing hands in the store. Try that at Turners and you will be scolded and if they are in a bad mood, charge you sales tax. I'm not kidding.
Thank you for reminding me why I avoid Turners whenever possible. Every time I’ve done a PPT at one of their stores it’s slow and a generally unpleasant process.
 
There is no invoice attached. They have no basis to charge the sales tax. A mere money exchange doesn't trigger the sales tax collection. Then again, they can always ask your to leave and refuse the service.
I've done a LOT of PPTs at multiple Turners locations, usually just pass a generic white envelope with cash between buyer and seller (receiving party can wander into the store a bit and double check count if you're concerned), NEVER been challenged at Turners (or anywhere else)!!

And I've had both extremely fast PPTs and painfully slow ones at Turner's (both extremes oddly at the SAME LOCATION!), but they have saved more than one transfer for me when other stores are clueless about transferring certain "scarier" (mainly just rare) pew pews.
 
Last edited:
I like the adrenalin in my blood, I guess. However, you are right. You always want to make sure the other party doesn't play games. It's just my verification mechanism is way more relax than yours ;)
I've always set the FFL location and tentative time to meet (unless the counterparty is super local, in which case you could meet the same day or whatever - most of the things I've bought or sold are rare enough that driving stupid distances once (or twice as a buyer...) was viable, confirm with the FFL that they are doing PPTs at that time, and for the regulation 47.19, not some insane made up fee.

Text or chat the night before if applicable, text when en route with an ETA, both parties can update based on traffic conditions, and text "I'm here" with vehicle description. Haven't had a problem with that method yet. Communication is key!
 
I'm going to leave this up only because it serves a purpose. Idiots is not a nice way of saying, some people are gullible in the community. They don't have resources like this and make a purchase thinking people are not going to do anything bad.

Please be respectful to one another. We're trying to be fair while being educational. We don't want 🔥flame wars and want to help promote more people getting involved.

One way to do that is to not call folks idiots if they make mistakes in this hobby, though I get what you're saying..
I've seen people at the range show up with BRAND NEW guns that aren't functioning right... it happens. Of course they presumably would have recourse with a retail purchase, but I'm sure it would involve potentially a return to the manufacturer in some cases...

As far as PPT's, I've bought broken guns (fully disclosed, and a 5 minute fix), and guns with minor issues (dead trigger, broken firing pin, improperly installed springs...). I got great deals on ALL of them, and either easily rectified the issues, or had the manufacturer send out parts, and learned a little "gunsmithing". I never felt "ripped off", or that a seller was intentionally dishonest - most people just don't know that much about how a gun works or fails. I learned as I went along...

It's part of "this hobby" to learn how to strip down a gun and clean it properly, and successfully re-assemble it. I've found most manufacturers seem to be willing to service a gun that doesn't work without drama, and send parts if you need them. There are of course issues if a off roster or CA restricted firearm cannot be repaired by the mfr... but that's a tale for another time!
 
I never done it before so I thought both parties meet at a FFL give gun to FFL, they watch you give money to seller then they do paperwork?

Couldn't the FFL not process paperwork if they see someone not pay?
 
I never done it before so I thought both parties meet at a FFL give gun to FFL, they watch you give money to seller then they do paperwork?

Couldn't the FFL not process paperwork if they see someone not pay?
The FFL is only involved in the transfer of the gun through the state system. They do not get involved in whether the buyer and seller exchange funds and many do not want to see that happen in front of them.
 
The FFL is only involved in the transfer of the gun through the state system. They do not get involved in whether the buyer and seller exchange funds and many do not want to see that happen in front of them.
So if the seller signs the paperwork over to them and they see buyer says i won't pay you now. The ffl cant cancel the transfer?

Kinda scary for both parties
 
Not directly related to OP request for info. But….

When everything goes well, and you go pick up your PPT after 10 day waiting period…
Buy something you need from the dealer or shop. Ammo is always good choice — combine fees.
PPT hardly ever covers dealer’s time and effort. Good to support local business.
 
Back
Top Bottom